Buy airfare now, purchase insurance, add cruise later?

Hi all,

We have made a down payment on a cruise. We didn't buy travel insurance within the required time period, figuring losing the deposit would be cheaper. We were going to purchase insurance when making final payment. (I know most policies don't cover pre-existing conditions)

I'm looking at air fares that are just coming out in time for our cruise next year. They are insanely cheap.

My question to you wonderful people is...

Can I purchase travel insurance for the air fare, and then add the cruise to the insurance just before final payment?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

We have made a down payment on a cruise. We didn't buy travel insurance within the required time period, figuring losing the deposit would be cheaper. We were going to purchase insurance when making final payment. (I know most policies don't cover pre-existing conditions)

I'm looking at air fares that are just coming out in time for our cruise next year. They are insanely cheap.

My question to you wonderful people is...

Can I purchase travel insurance for the air fare, and then add the cruise to the insurance just before final payment?

Thanks in advance!

Good question, and I think you have a better option than you realize.

Call Steve at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

Explain the timing of what you've done from the start.

From our experience (which is recent, but ALWAYS double check with your specific circumstances, of course) you might want to ask about CSA coverage.

We also had one time that we made a deposit, but didn't think we'd take the trip. (We now have a few more deposits like that, so this is of real concern to us, too.)

Usually, we get the deposit and quickly start the insurance within the 21 days required by Travel Insured (who pay their claims without nonsense!).

CSA has a policy that requires that you start the insurance at the final payment (but NOTE: This is defined very specifically!).

And importantly, it DOES include that waiver of exclusion for pre-existing conditions.

What it doesn't do so well at is if you want CFAR. They offer it at that point, but it is really expensive.

It sounds like you'd like to insure the non-refundable penalties for the airfare, prior to making the big purchase of the full cruise fare.

CSA has a policy that requires that you start the insurance at the final payment (but NOTE: This is defined very specifically!).

And importantly, it DOES include that waiver of exclusion for pre-existing conditions.

What it doesn't do so well at is if you want CFAR. They offer it at that point, but it is really expensive.

No CSA plan REQUIRES you to buy the policy at the time of the final payment. You can buy the policy any time up until the day prior to your departure. But buying the policy no later than 24 hours after making the final payment on the trip makes you eligible for the waiver of the pre-existing medical conditions. Additional conditions may apply depending on your state of residence and the plan purchased. For example, if you buy the Freestlye plan and live in CA you need to do the following:

"a. coverage is purchased prior to or within 24 hours

of your final Trip Payment; and

b. you are medically able to travel at the time the

coverage is purchased; and

c. you insure 100% of your prepaid Trip costs that

are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions."

The "within 24 hours" actually means any time before or no later than 24 hours after making the final payment. I wish they would clarity that. They love their clients to buy the plan as early as possible so they can sit on the money.

To be eligible for CSA's Cancel For Any Reason benefit you have to buy your policy within 24 hours of making the FIRST payment on the trip, not the final payment.

By the way, on at least one CSA (Custom Luxe) plan there is no waiver of the pre-existing medical condition exclusion no matter when you buy it and/or how much you insure. You have got to watch what plan you're buying very carefully.

For the CFAR benefit on the Freestyle Luxe plan (not available on the regular Freestyle Plan) you need to do the following to be eligible for that benefit:

"TRIP CANCELLATION FOR ANY REASON BENEFIT

If you purchased this optional coverage, we will reimburse

you up to the amount in the Schedule, for the prepaid,

forfeited, non-refundable Payments for your Trip, if you and

all other Insured traveling with you cancel the Trip for any

reason, provided:

1. your payment for this coverage is received within 24

hours of the date your initial deposit for your Trip is

received; and

2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you pay

your premium; and

3. you have insured 100% of all arrangements that are

subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions; and

4. the Trip cost per person is no more than $10,000;

and

5. you cancel your Trip 48 hours"

So the pre-ex waiver is based off the FINAL payment date. The CFAR benefit is based off the initial/first payment. Don't get confused.