Vietnam-Cambodia River Options??

TLCOhio

Love to read more on any and all pre and post cruise options done prior to the Mekong sailing segment. Other tips and insights for these major SE Asia cities? What shore visits/stops stood out the most? What was the best loved? What to avoid and/or skip? Tell us more!! Can't get enough information and background for this part of the world!! Keep it coming.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,571 views for this posting.

Without any doubt, Phnom Penh...

15584628703_5e4ae89c90_z.jpg

and Halong Bay...

15950632056_5b457024fc_z.jpg

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/12/09/a-far-eastern-trilogy-part-1-halong-bay/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/01/05/amalotus-mekong-river-cruise/

Without any doubt, Phnom Penh...and Halong Bay...

Appreciate these great pictures, comments and follow-ups. Really wonderful and helping to build the excitement for our early 2018 trip there. Yes, our schedule includes Phnom Penh during our seven-day Mekong River cruise, plus doing Halong Bay after Angkor Wat and Hanoi. Lots of great places to explore during this planned trip.

THANKS for sharing! Keep it coming. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 215,584 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We traveled with Vantage in the fall of 2016. Hong Kong pre-trip Halong Bay post trip.

This is entirely IMO but I found the history of this trip very unsettling and chose NOT to experience it close up!

Cambodia's history is SO very sad and they continue to struggle into the 21century. I had done some reading about the Khmer Rouge and read a very simple autobiographical book. I chose not to visit the Killing Fields (great choice for me) read about what you will see before going! Our guide in Cambodia was wonderful and the stops we made on the Mekong delightful. We found both VietNam and Cambodia have wonderfully gracious gentle people.

When in Saigon we took an optional excursion to the ChiChi tunnels. I would NOT go again but my husband who was in the Navy during the VietNam war was not as disturbed. The weather the day we toured was very hot,humid with a light persistent drizzle.......walking in the jungle I could imagine the young men who fought in this foreign land and unrelenting hostile environment, boots wet, buzzing insects........the snares and traps were gruesome and entering the tunnels caused a visceral reaction ( I have never suffered from claustrophobia or panic attacks).

Yes, I travel to learn from the past and experience the cultural and scenic beauty of new and exotic places, animals and of course the people but will continue to choose not be faced with our inhumanity! I also have chosen not to visit concentration camps, or torture museums.

This was a wonderful trip and would do it again! You will no doubt enjoy and be enriched.