Ships whistle at noon

Camgirl

I was reading some recent reviews of Queen Elizabeth before we board in three weeks time and I was shocked to read that the ship's whistle is no longer sounded at noon. Is this really true? I hope not. It is a part of the Cunard tradition and it would be a shame if it has gone. Can anyone confirm either way for me please?

Sorry to say that we were on QE in May to the Adriatic and it was never sounded once on a sea day. It was so disappointing. they ring the bell over the ships speaker system at noon before the Captain's daily chat.

Seems another Cunard tradition is no more. Anyone know what is happening on the two other ships?

Sorry to say that we were on QE in May to the Adriatic and it was never sounded once on a sea day. It was so disappointing. they ring the bell over the ships speaker system at noon before the Captain's daily chat.

Seems another Cunard tradition is no more. Anyone know what is happening on the two other ships?

On recent Baltic voyage bell was sounded on Channel 40 at noon with Captain Hashmi and siren sounded once Captain Thorhague replced him in Copenhagen, so it could be individual captain choice as to what is sounded

Reminds me of a cruise a number of years ago.

11:55am bing-bong "This is the Captain on the bridge. Today we will NOT be sounding the whistle at noon as we have a man working up the mast ... and he still hasn't forgiven me for the last time."

Colin.

Oops! Simultaneous posting!

I hope it is only one captain who has abandoned the tradition. We always look forwards to hearing the noon whistle.

Does anyone know who will the captain for the fjords cruise leaving 22nd July?

Little steam boats have a "whistle"- "toot-toot", ships have a HORN that can be heard miles away. One of the horns on QM2 is from Queen Mary, and on long term loan from the city of Long Beach.

There were no bells, whistles, etc on the QE from March 10, 2016 >>

May 10, 2016 when I was on board..... Hong Kong >> Southhampton.

There were 2 captains... Alistair Cook (??) Clarke ( ??)

and Capt. Hashmi

No noon whistle test on QE in May when I was on board (all three Queens equipment is referred to as whistles by manufacturers and ships company). I haven't a video of the noon test on QE but if you don't mind QV:

Little steam boats have a "whistle"- "toot-toot", ships have a HORN that can be heard miles away. One of the horns on QM2 is from Queen Mary, and on long term loan from the city of Long Beach.

Tradition dictates that Ships have Whistles, they may sound like Horns but are always referred to has Whistles. Cars, and certain animals have Horns.

Tradition dictates that Ships have Whistles, they may sound like Horns but are always referred to has Whistles. Cars, and certain animals have Horns.
I suspect this is another of those linguistic differences between common UK English and American English usage. Right or wrong, they are frequently called "Fog Horns" in the US.

Bob