New Ships in 2018 and 2019

Heartgrove

It seems that Rolls Royce, along with Espen Oino, have begun to design two new 600 passenger ships with an option for two more. They are to be built by Kleven Werft. The first is to be delivered in 2018.

For the Hurtgruten line, do you mean?

Yes, an expansion of the Hurtigruten exploration fleet. But also capable of Coastal Voyage service. The artist rendering does not resemble the Midnatsol or Trollfjord but a more cruise-ship appearance. It was announced in April of this year.

...and not 'proper' expedition ships!

They look rather innovative with Deck 4(?) using plexiglass/glass to offer a panoramic enclosure of the deck at the bow for all-weather viewing. I am sure that they would have a strengthened bow.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6975

Edited by Heartgrove

My concerns revolve around the observations I quoted from SarniaLo: size and space outside on deck.

In my opinion: expedition ships need to be relatively small and manoeuvrable, and to have plenty of all-round unobstructed views from the deck(s) outside. Even 'plexiglass/glass' is unwelcome.

Ice hardening would be a given in an expedition ship.

In my opinion: expedition ships need to be relatively small and manoeuvrable, and to have plenty of all-round unobstructed views from the deck(s) outside. Even 'plexiglass/glass' is unwelcome.

I agree with that. For people taking picture, (plexi)glass is a huge bother, as is getting inside/outside in cold weather when you have a camera (which doesn't like changes in temperature). I want to be able to go all around the ship without having to go back inside. For Hurtigruten, this is possible on MS Fram and on the majority of the coastal ships, but apparently not on MS Spitsbergen, and as far as I can see I'm not sure it's possible on these new ships (but maybe it's a very personal concern).

At the moment it's not very clear what the program of these ships will be. If they are mostly for the Norwegian line then it's fine, if they are meant to be full expedition ships (in polar area) like MS Fram then I'm not sure I'll be interested (but probably many people will).