Art Auction Problem, What would you do?

rucruisn2

I have some very close friends who went on Brilliance of the Seas in July. They spent considerable time at the art auction and purchased some art work for several thousand dollars. The art was to be shipped home by Park West for them in 6 weeks. Fast forward to now. After a few calls and answers that it is on it's way, they get a letter in the mail that the art they selected is no longer available. Park West offers other pictures instead or says they will try to work with my friends. What would you do? They wasted alot of time on the cruise they could have been doing other things, and bought a piece of art they now can't have after 3 months of Park West having their money! Would you let RCCL know about this? They don't want something for nothing nor are they cronick complainers, but we are wondering if this has happened to others of you and whay have you done??? Thanks.

Yes, let RCCL know that ark West failed with them. It took almost 3 months for mine to come too.

As for Park West, I would demand my money back not other art work since they may not like the pieces they get. You have to love the piece to buy it. I would also request the amount for the phone calls, although, there is a toll free number (I have used in in Canada).

I have some very close friends who went on Brilliance of the Seas in July. They spent considerable time at the art auction and purchased some art work for several thousand dollars. The art was to be shipped home by Park West for them in 6 weeks. Fast forward to now. After a few calls and answers that it is on it's way, they get a letter in the mail that the art they selected is no longer available. Park West offers other pictures instead or says they will try to work with my friends. What would you do? They wasted alot of time on the cruise they could have been doing other things, and bought a piece of art they now can't have after 3 months of Park West having their money! Would you let RCCL know about this? They don't want something for nothing nor are they cronick complainers, but we are wondering if this has happened to others of you and whay have you done??? Thanks.

We too have purchased from Park west, It's not unusal for it to take months for some pieces to arrive, If the pieces that they thought they purchased are no longer availible, I personally would cancel the order and not be held responsible for purchases I really dont want. JMO

I too have purchased a lot of art through Park West on cruises. Sometimes it does come much later than they originally tell you. It's not always their fault because since 9/11, each package has to be inspected which definitely holds up deliver.

If they notified me that a piece I ordered was no longer available, I would be very annoyed. Their computers tell them how many copies of each piece are available, and if they oversold something, I think that (in the very least) after cancelling the order with no penalty to the customer, they should offer a substantial discount for their next time on a cruise or land auction. My husband used to be in the art business (not an owner) and knows that the markup on most art is VERY high. Park West definitely ought to do something to make up for their boo-boo.

We bought several pieces from Park West when we were aboard the Infinity this summer. The Last and most expensive piece arrived only about two weeks ago. They told us that the artist was very slow in getting these pieces out since he adds a little touch to each seriograph.

I would not take another piece sight unseen either. I would demand my money back and also seek some sort of credit from Park West at a future auction.

Personally we have found Park West to be very up front with us and we have no complaints besides the long wait.

This is my opinion... I would have your friends check their contract -- does it state what happens if Park West can't deliver? That may provide answers. Additionally, any communications from now on should be in writing, so there is a comprehensive record. I would not accept a substitution. If your friends will accept a discount on another piece or another accommodation from Park West, they should state that and request it in writing.

If they really want the art and the piece is not unique, I would suggest checking with other galleries to see if there are others on the market, then give that information to Park West and tell them that they should acquire the piece and deliver to your friends what they paid for. I would also call a few galleries and/or do some online research to find out if the piece(s) has appreciated (increased in value) from the time they bought it on the ship until now... maybe Park West sold it to a higher bidder? If that's the case, then your friends have lost more than the price of the art.

Again, the first and most important thing to look at is the contract, if there is one.

Finally, I would definitely tell the cruiseline what's going on -- I would do so in writing. I have never purchased art onboard, and I'm sure there is a disclaimer that you are dealing with an independent company; however, the cruiseline is in a quasi-partnership with the auction house... my guess is that they have some sort of financial interest in the auctions and because of that, they should act responsibly. Think about this... if there was rampant fraud (and I'm not saying or implying there is) then wouldn't the cruiseline have a PR nightmare?

Good luck. Hope this helped! :)

I have personally only had positive experiences with Park West. That said, I think your friends should A)demand a refund and a discount on any future purchase and B)notify the cruiseline. As posted above, I am sure the cruiselines (plural since most use Park West) have financial interest in the partnership.

I have always viewed Park West as professional and up front. If my impression is correct, then they will recognize that it is in their best interest to treat your friends (their customers) equitably.

Park West sent pictures of 2 similar pictures to my friend to choose from. She liked them both, from what she could tell in the photo copy. She told Park West she would settle for both for what she paid for the 1. They agreed, but wanted to charge her for shippping and framing. She said no, she had already paid for 1 frame and 1 shipping. They agreed. Thank you all for your input, it helped.

• 2 years later...

There is a reason they do the auctions in international waters, away from the laws of the US or other country.

Do the reasearch online.

Google "Park West Fraud".

All the cruise lines allow these scammers on....why? To make money....the people getting taken are subsidizing our low cost cruises.

Park West sent pictures of 2 similar pictures to my friend to choose from. She liked them both, from what she could tell in the photo copy. She told Park West she would settle for both for what she paid for the 1. They agreed, but wanted to charge her for shippping and framing. She said no, she had already paid for 1 frame and 1 shipping. They agreed. Thank you all for your input, it helped.

I was going to post about my dealings with PW when I finished reading all the previous posts. We have purchased many works of art from PW and had 98% positive experiences. The 2% were worked out to our satisfaction but it took a bit of time. I am glad it worked out for your friends. We enjoy the auctions tho' we have not bought anything on our last few cruises. It is fa good place to people watch.

Archived