Formal night attire for teen boy?

moongal

And wouldn't it be a little embarrassing for your son to be told he couldn't enter because he wasn't dressed appropriately? I would never put my kids in that type of situation. We either follow the rules or don't go. Not saying they will for sure deny him entry but even knowing it's a possibility I wouldn't chance it.

One additional pair of pants to pack isn't going to bust open the suitcase or give someone a hernia unless you've already overpacked.

Please define "jeans", "dress pants", pantsuits.

No where does it say women can wear slacks, only pantsuits.

No where does it say women can wear tshirts with sparklies.

But...like I said earlier if you insist on reading everything as black and white and totally literally I'm not going to argue with you...even though others may not interpret things the way you do.

Hopefully you won't be at the MDR door as the "rules" police on the OPs cruise...that is the only way a nice pair denim slacks would be turned away.

again, I go back to your "common sense" post, which I agree whole heartedly with as opposed to the contrarian point of view, who seems to be looking to split hairs and over analyze this for whatever point you are trying to make....no jeans.....jeans are typically made from denim, so scratch denim. go get a pair of khaki "dress" pants....just conform....Here is the thing, if you don't want to wear dress pants, you don't have to. Go to the Lido deck and eat dinner on Elegant night. whats the big deal?

Edited by First and Ten

I am sure that EVERYONE picks and chooses which rules or codes or even laws that they will take literally and follow to the T. Doesn't mean that they are intent on breaking every rule, code, or law. Thinking they will says more about your distrust of society as a whole than it does about anyone else.

Guess that when I drove 78 mph in a 75 mph zone this week means I just might as well drive a 100 and run every stop sign, too. Break one, might as well break them all.

Society has not given me much to trust in.

And wouldn't it be a little embarrassing for your son to be told he couldn't enter because he wasn't dressed appropriately?

Per the Fun Times, the local on the ship carnival bible, he's dressed appropriately. Correct?

Per the Fun Times, the local on the ship carnival bible, he's dressed appropriately. Correct?

All it says in the Fun Times that I have is that dress code is"Cruise Elegant" which is defined here per Carnival's website. Pay special attention to the last paragraph:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Omg! All I wanted to know was if you could wear jeans on elegant night for a teen boy. I should have just gone and read the rules myself. Didn't know I was going to be getting parenting lessons or "rule breaker" lectures.

I didn't really specify in my original post, I just said my son has one nice suit, because I didn't really feel it was necessary to give an inventory of his clothes, just that he did own a suit, but as a matter of fact he owns probably 10 or more suits, has his own tux and tails, more dress pants and dress shoes than my husband does.

I just did not see how any teen age boy would ever be caught dead in a polo shirt or khakis, at least around where we live, if a kid showed up to an awards ceremony or church in that get up they would be a laughingstock amongst their peers. So I just wondered what a typical teen boy might wear on elegant night. I didn't pay any attention at all to what the men were wearing on my last cruise. (Husband didn't go)

I'll just have him wear his tails. He always enjoys the chances when he gets to wear that and there aren't really that many opportunities to wear it. That way we will be sure not to offend anyone's sensibilities. [emoji4]

I'll just have him wear his tails. He always enjoys the chances when he gets to wear that and there aren't really that many opportunities to wear it. That way we will be sure not to offend anyone's sensibilities. [emoji4]

I bet he will look very handsome and get a lot of attention from the ladies. Have a great cruise!

Official Carnival policy is that jeans are not allowed on elegant night. I have seen people enter the MDR on elegant night in jeans no problem and I have seen people get turned away. It all just depends on if the staff is paying attention. I just don't understand why someone can't purchase a pair of pants and a collared shirt to put on for a couple of hours. Even my 7 month old nephew is dressing up on elegant night.

All it says in the Fun Times that I have is that dress code is"Cruise Elegant" which is defined here per Carnival's website. Pay special attention to the last paragraph:

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

But I want to wear jeans, and I am of the mindset of I want to do what I want to do. This is my vacation, nobody elses, and because I deem I can wear jeans on my vacation whenever I want that means I get to do what I want to do....don't tell me to go to the Lido deck if I am dressed casually on Elegant night, I don't want to do that. I want to do what I want to do (did I portray the entitled attitude good enough or to over the top? :D)

Edited by First and Ten

But I want to wear jeans, and I am of the mindset of I want to do what I want to do. This is my vacation, nobody elses, and because I deem I can wear jeans on my vacation whenever I want that means I get to do what I want to do....don't tell me to go to the Lido deck if I am dressed casually on Elegant night, I don't want to do that. I want to do what I want to do (did I portray the entitled attitude good enough or to over the top? :D)

Sounds about right but you forgot to add "I've done it before and no one said anything so I'm going to keep doing it." All of the above holds true for any rule that Carnival has that someone doesn't want to follow.

I'm not saying this about the OP, just the type of people that think this way.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Hmmm... I teach my boys not to judge a book by it's cover, substance is what really matters.

Effort is what matters. We need to teach our young people that life is about effort, not doing just the barest of minimums and expecting the maximum rewards.

Sounds about right but you forgot to add "I've done it before and no one said anything so I'm going to keep doing it." All of the above holds true for any rule that Carnival has that someone doesn't want to follow.

I'm not saying this about the OP, just the type of people that think this way.

good point, I should have included that....my bad :)

Edited by First and Ten

It appears to be changing, much the to chagrin of those who want to control others.

Read this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=384539&d=1462467744

It appears to be changing, much the to chagrin of those who want to control others.

Read this link

These are not an individuals rules, these are Carnival's rules. So be annoyed with Carnival if you feel that they are trying to control you....Their ship, their rules....don't like it, stay home in your jeans....wear them whenever you want in your house, just don't wear them in the MDR of a Carnival cruise on Elegant nights :D

Edited by First and Ten

Read this link

I don't want to control anyone. I am simply stating what Carnival says about their policy. And until they change it, then others should pay attention and follow it. I don't give a frog's fat butt what Carnival say their dress code is. If they want to make it string bikinis then guess who's showing up in a string bikini - like it or not?!This chick! Makes absolutely zero difference what others or everyone else is doing. I go by what is written in black and white. Carnival's rules, regulations, and policies are not up for individual interpretation.

Here is the link to the FunTimes I posted from December. Nowhere does it say specifically what the dress code includes or excludes just simply what the code is for the evening. At least not that I can see. The website does however explain it clearly.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293360

I don't want to control anyone. I am simply stating what Carnival says about their policy. And until they change it, then others should pay attention and follow it. I don't give a frog's fat butt what Carnival say their dress code is. If they want to make it string bikinis then guess who's showing up in a string bikini - like it or not.?!This chick! Makes absolutely zero difference what others or everyone else is doing. I go by what is written in black and white. Carnival's rules, regulations, and policies are not up for individual interpretation.

Here is the link to the FunTimes I posted from December. Nowhere does it say specifically what the dress code includes or excludes just simply what the code is for the evening. At least not that I can see. The website does however explain it clearly.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293360

It's changing.

Cue the Jaws music.

Edited by fuddrules

It's changing.

Cue the Jaws music.

I remember in 1998, the Paradise came out as the first non smoking cruise ship...."YAY, the tide is turning and soon smoking will be banned everywhere"....ummmmmm, nope....still waiting for that change....18 yrs and counting :D

Edited by First and Ten

OK good. When it changes in writing, I'll go with that. Until then, what's on the website goes.

On cruise critic, you're correct. On the ship, it's ship rules.

150720065655-the-seventies-summer-blockbuster-movies-jaws-star-wars-orig-00004116-large-169.jpg

Edited by fuddrules

On cruise critic, you're correct. On the ship, it's ship rules.

150720065655-the-seventies-summer-blockbuster-movies-jaws-star-wars-orig-00004116-large-169.jpg

Well apparently on the Glory and the cruises I have been on the website rules apply since it doesn't say any different. So let's just leave it at "Check your FunTimes for any deviation from the policy as stated on the website."

2 hours in a pair of slacks or khakis is not going to hurt. He's 17..what is he planning on wearing to job interviews? Graduation? A nice date? A funeral? He's practically an adult..he needs to follow the rules and slap a pair of slacks on and a button-up or eat elsewhere.