Time to buy CCL stock?

dockman

You would need at least 100 of CCL to utilize the shareholder benefit on every cruise. You can use it on any of their lines.

14 day cruise - $250. It adds up if you cruise a few times a year like we do.

That was a typo :), not noticed until after the edit timeout. We do have at least 100 of each.

:->

The Other Company (RCL) is an even better buy right now. Its seems to appreciated way more than CCL over the years. Don't really know why.

Carnival currently yields 2.8% and offers generous shareholder credit that adds to any other OBC or fare offer....up to a maximum OBC of $250.

RCL currently yields 2.19% with a shareholder credit that is reportedly difficult to impossible to receive if you purchase a fare that includes perks offered as promotional sales items.

IMO, the discrepancy in the total share price appeared a few years ago when Carnival had several ship disasters (Splendor, Triumph, etc). While these have been or are undergoing correction, the bad press depressed the stock price and it has yet to catch up.

... IMO the OBC is a discount (and thus not a taxable event) comparable to a "40% Off Sale" at Macy's or a "Buy One, Get One Free" offer at Payless Shoes ... not offering tax advice, just stating my opinion ...

That's one way to look at it, another is it is only available to shareholders so it is a distribution of capital or a dividend. I like your way of looking at it better then mine :p.

IMO, the discrepancy in the total share price appeared a few years ago when Carnival had several ship disasters (Splendor, Triumph, etc). While these have been or are undergoing correction, the bad press depressed the stock price and it has yet to catch up.

I don't know about that. I originally acquired 100 shares of both CCL and RCL at the same time many years ago. At one point, even before the disasters, the RCL was up over 200% while the CCL was only up about 40%. Since you only have to own the stock within 6 months of the cruise, I've sold high and re-bought on the dips several times.

While we primarily sail HAL, and only used the RCL OBC 2 or 3 times, when the Wife is off on a girls crusie, I've never had a problem getting the RCL OBC for her.