Breakaway Bermuda excursions and planning questions?

JAMESCC

This Oct. will be our first cruise with NCL on the Breakaway to Bermuda. What would you suggest as excursions with a 3 year old? What is appropriate and maybe shorter in duration that might be OK for a 3 year old? We usually don't book excursions ahead of time, we usually wait to board the ship but I think we are gonna book ahead this time to avoid the craziness of the guest relations.

The other question is planning say specialty restaurants. That we never book ahead and wait to board the ship to book. Is it absolutely necessary to prebook specialty restaurants before we board? We kinda like doing that on board but if we have to we will book before hand.

This past April was our first time on the BA. We did not book dining ahead of time, and I won't for our Bermuda trip in September either. I didn't feel it necessary at all. Others may have other opinions though.

As far as your Bermuda questions, try the Bermuda specific board on here, as there are many who could possibly help there. It's our first time there in September also. I'm excited to try some place new!

Bermuda is so easy to DIY -- no need to worry about booking excursions through the ship. Public buses/ferries are easy to navigate. Beaches can be done via these or by taxi.

Also there are caves, and the aquarium that might be interesting for a 3 year old. Plan on nap times though, and you can go back and forth to the ship so a bed will be nearby. Bring a folding umbrella stroller.

We traveled with our then 5 yr old to Bermuda in 2014. We went to the Gibbs lighthouse, the Crystal Caves, walked around the wharf area, went to the beach nearby as well as clocktower mall and rode around in the free wharf shuttle for hours (it's the slowest shuttle in the world). We also took a tour of the glass factory in the wharf area itself and bought lots of rum cake (for us, not the kid). We also took a glass bottom boat tour that our son enjoyed a lot.. they feed the fish at the end of the tour so it was great seeing all those tiny fishy mouths jumping at the bread!! the Gibbs lighthouse was the best part of the trip for our son - he loved climbing the 200+ steps to the top of the lighthouse. But I am thinking for a 3 yr old, they might like the Aquarium (that's next on our list this September) as well as the Crystal caves.. We bought the 3 day bus and ferry pass and that was super useful. Hope this helps!

We traveled with our then 5 yr old to Bermuda in 2014. We went to the Gibbs lighthouse, the Crystal Caves, walked around the wharf area, went to the beach nearby as well as clocktower mall and rode around in the free wharf shuttle for hours (it's the slowest shuttle in the world). We also took a tour of the glass factory in the wharf area itself and bought lots of rum cake (for us, not the kid). We also took a glass bottom boat tour that our son enjoyed a lot.. they feed the fish at the end of the tour so it was great seeing all those tiny fishy mouths jumping at the bread!! the Gibbs lighthouse was the best part of the trip for our son - he loved climbing the 200+ steps to the top of the lighthouse. But I am thinking for a 3 yr old, they might like the Aquarium (that's next on our list this September) as well as the Crystal caves.. We bought the 3 day bus and ferry pass and that was super useful. Hope this helps!

Oh excellent post, thank you more than I can tell you. We were thinking of the glass bottom boat tour, it looks like so much fun and I think our son would really love it. The aquarium would be awesome as well, he would again love that I am positive of. He is extremely smart, which he got from my wife, because it definitely didn't come from me. :D Thanks for the post.

You are welcome! I liked the flexibility of the bus and ferry pass last time and you could buy that right on the ship too. Not sure if NCL has changed that or if breakaway will allow it. This time we got the shore excursion credit during the free at sea promo so I am trying to figure out what we can do with it or if we can use the whole 150 dollars (50 *3 days at port) at one time. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh excellent post, thank you more than I can tell you. We were thinking of the glass bottom boat tour, it looks like so much fun and I think our son would really love it. The aquarium would be awesome as well, he would again love that I am positive of. He is extremely smart, which he got from my wife, because it definitely didn't come from me. :D Thanks for the post.

I agree with the suggestions of Arsa. I think its important to emphasise the little beach near the ship. Its called Snorkel Park. They sell an excursion there on the ship, but do not buy it. It is a place you can walk right up to and save tons of money buying direct.

I never recommend this beach for anyone without little kids, but with little kids its a godsend. You can snorkel and you will sea fish....you can even grab some sealed cereal and feed the fish.

You can get chairs and drinks and when your son gets cranky and needs a nap no cab or bus necessary just walk back to the ship and take a nap.

It is so much better than trying to take we sandy cranky kids on a bus or in a cab.

And one day you might also like to stay on ship....it is nice when no one is around. Also as Arsa said the ferry bus pass is great and the ferry to Hamilton is great.....and its nice to just go back and forth or get off for a little while and then go straight back.

I hope you have fun and that you set your expectations realistically, sometimes its okay to just chill when the kids are so small......and other times the kids are raring to go and since you only have one its more manageable.......

Thanks you both for all the suggestions. We are narrowing down exactly what we are gonna do. The 3rd day honestly I'd like to just hangout on the ship. I have never done that and always wanted to. If we ever go to certain ports like Puerto Rico I will do that. I did not care for the stop at all and would never get off again.

I agree with the suggestions of Arsa. I think its important to emphasise the little beach near the ship. Its called Snorkel Park. They sell an excursion there on the ship, but do not buy it. It is a place you can walk right up to and save tons of money buying direct.

I never recommend this beach for anyone without little kids, but with little kids its a godsend. You can snorkel and you will sea fish....you can even grab some sealed cereal and feed the fish.

You can get chairs and drinks and when your son gets cranky and needs a nap no cab or bus necessary just walk back to the ship and take a nap.

It is so much better than trying to take we sandy cranky kids on a bus or in a cab.

And one day you might also like to stay on ship....it is nice when no one is around. Also as Arsa said the ferry bus pass is great and the ferry to Hamilton is great.....and its nice to just go back and forth or get off for a little while and then go straight back.

I hope you have fun and that you set your expectations realistically, sometimes its okay to just chill when the kids are so small......and other times the kids are raring to go and since you only have one its more manageable.......

I agree that is a great beach for kids. And I agree even more that you should not buy the ship's high price excursion. One can DIY at $5/pp or $10/ pp...depending upon how much they are charging that day.

Thanks you both for all the suggestions. We are narrowing down exactly what we are gonna do. The 3rd day honestly I'd like to just hangout on the ship. I have never done that and always wanted to. If we ever go to certain ports like Puerto Rico I will do that. I did not care for the stop at all and would never get off again.

Awww, PR does have some good things to do if you are in the mood. Don't write it off.

Lots of good eats. If you are a chocoholic, a visit to Casa Cortez is delightful...everything on their menu has chocolate. If you are a beach lover, the Isla Verde beaches are good to spend a few hours at, relaxing. Easy to get to by cab (and bus, but with your kiddo the bus may be a bit challenging depending upon the time of the day). You could do the rain forest short tour. You could get a day pass to Marriott or one of the resorts to use their facilities or beach areas. You could go shopping. You could walk around old SJ....lots of history. You could tour the two forts. So on and so forth.

That is awesome advice, thank you so much. We will definitely go this route. Nice and close to the ship, and cheap. We'll do this day 1 I think so there is no issues with missing the ship. Day 3 I'd like to just hang on the ship, we leave at 3 any way. That is a day to get off and shop a bit and get right back to the ship.

• 1 month later...

We've been to Bermuda a few times and book excursions on land, with the exception if we book an afternoon excision the day we leave. If you book they the ship, they will wait for the tour and not leave without you. It happened once, the tour guides called the ship to tell them we were running 30 minutes late, and they waited for us.

I like to stay on the ship the first day we dock - everyone rushes to get off the ship. No waiting for the watersides and you can actually swim in the pool/use the hot tubs! We're going back in Oct as well and looking forward to going back!

Ferry passes is the way to go to Hamilton or St George. Usually take the bus or taxi anywhere else for a reasonable price. Everyone is friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums