San Juan - Normandie or El Convento

luvtwocruz

Hello - I was quoted a real nice rate for Junior Suite at the Normandie, and also-a decent rate for the El Convento(more $$) .

It is an overnight before we depart on RCCL - and what would be best?(regarding location from airport-and to port).

I'm taking a vote...:rolleyes:

Hello - I was quoted a real nice rate for Junior Suite at the Normandie, and also-a decent rate for the El Convento(more $$) .

It is an overnight before we depart on RCCL - and what would be best?(regarding location from airport-and to port).

The El Convento is the nicer hotel and nice area right in Old San Juan Juan.

We were just in San Juan off a cruise last Monday and stayed at the El Convento Hotel. It is full of old world charm. It is in a nice area and directly across the street from the San Juan Cathedral. I can't remember excactly what is was a night. I'm thinking around 148$. But don't quote me. It is well worth it. There is a pool and hot tub up on the roof and a restuarant in the court area. It is open for breakfast and lunch which is casual, but dinner is a bit more dressy. Costly too. Everything is within walking distance from the hotel. Be sure to visit the del Morro Fortress which is on the north end. If you have any other questions about the hotel feel free to ask.

didn't stay there but had lunch at el convento a few yrs back and thought it was lovely. good location as well right in the heart of the old city. I would definitely stay there vs the normandie just based on ease of access to the city. From Normandie you'd have to take a cab to everything.

We stayed at the El Convento last Nov. Lovely. We arrived the night before our cruise just in time for their cocktail hour (Free!!), enjoyed a beautiful dinner at the connected restaurant. This hotel is a former convent - very old and wonderfully restored. Our room was filled with antiques and had a bed so high we need to use the steps to climb in it. The hotel is built around an inner courtyard filled with live trees and flowering plants. The rooms are all overlooking the courtyard on one side, almost a promenade around the inner ring with a small table and chairs for each room so you can enjoy the view. In the morning they had a substantial breakfast which was included in the price of our room. All guest rooms are non-smoking but if you are a smoker they try to accomodate you by giving you a room with a balcony, or you can sit at the table and chairs just outside the door to your room that overlooks the courtyard.

The previous poster is right - you would be right in the middle of the lovely old town, easy walking to some very fine shopping and a nice leisurely walk to El Morro (I think that is what the fortress is called.)

The hotel service is the best we have had and we have stayed in places much more expensive than the El Convento.

We did have to taxi to the port - we were on the Constellation so we were the farthest port but I don't recall it being very expensive. The staff will call a taxi/van if there are 2 groups going to the same ship so you can share the fee.

We stayed at Hotel el Convento years ago. I'm glad to know it's still there! It was a wonderful hotel and we spent 2 very pleasant days wandering around old San Juan before our cruise. I'd definitely stay there again.

Whoa nellie..... $148.00 ?????

We are staying at El Convento 2 nights precruise (Nov 24 & 25th) and it is $ 260.00 per night . Of course this is Thanksgiving and day after AND high season.

Don't care - El Convento is Puerto Ricos only 5 star hotel and I can barely wait :D Momma always said " You get what you pay for "

Whatever you decide - have fun in San Juan.

Several years we also got a fantastic rate at the el convento. When we arrived they took us aside and said that since we had such a good deal and it was for only 1 night they were sending us to the Old San Juan across from the downtown piers. They were able to sell our room for much more for a longer time. They paid for our hotel and a cab to the other hotel. And didn't charge us anything(free hotel). This is just a heads up and probably won't happen to you.

I have been waiting since March to stay at El Convento so they would be out of luck if they want me to go somewhere else... paid or not. I am sure this would be great for some - but I would not want to be moved. This trip is for our 25th wedding anniversary and I have planned every detail carefully.

I am sorry we won't be able to hear the Sunday choir though....sounds delightful.

I have been waiting since March to stay at El Convento so they would be out of luck if they want me to go somewhere else... paid or not. I am sure this would be great for some - but I would not want to be moved. This trip is for our 25th wedding anniversary and I have planned every detail carefully.

I am sorry we won't be able to hear the Sunday choir though....sounds delightful.

We didn't have a choice. Hotels can do as they please, as long as they put you somewhere comparable.

Archived