An Alaskan Adventure on the Sun - Pictorial Review with Menus, Dailies, and Puppies.

shadowmeboy

Like Love my butler said, it was probably because of the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, and setting it up. I can't think of any other reason.

H

We had no indication prior to getting to Seward. It was a nice surprise.

our ship only had 1700 passengers (full is 1950ish), and it was a lot of first-time cruisers. I can only speculate.

Well that explains why someone else wanted to organise it on our roll call when I offered. ;)

Yes-no one stepped forward to organise our Meet and Greet, but many people on the roll call expressed they would like to attend. I reluctantly stepped forward as I thought it was time to give back after attending many M&Gs that others had organised. This was on the Sun in January. I was granted VIP status, but I was only booked in a balcony cabin. I must admit I did love the breakfasts each day. I organised the M&G and many of the private tours. I suggested a few other things, but the roll call seemed happy with that. I have done 4 cruises since -(April/May), but I've been happy to return to being just an attendee. In fact the person who organised the M&G on my TA did an amazing job. We had so many things/activities/dinners/sailaways etc to attend. Also organised a stash of Mardi Gras beads for all of us to wear to our activities. There were over 100 guests at the M&G, the gift exchange was fun and SeaDays saw fun games of LCR. She was a fellow Aussie and already had VIP perks due to booking in a suite. Just a great, fun organiser.

I'm enjoying your review and pictures. It is so much work and I look forward to catching up on your pics each evening.:)

We are heading from the east coast to Seattle and then to Anchorageon Saturday. Then we catch the cruise on Monday. How long did it take to get through security at the airport in Seattle? We are flying to Seattle on Southwest and then have to get our luggage and then recheck our luggage with Delta and go through security. I want to make sure we have enough time between flights. :confused: Thanks!

Yes-no one stepped forward to organise our Meet and Greet, but many people on the roll call expressed they would like to attend. I reluctantly stepped forward as I thought it was time to give back after attending many M&Gs that others had organised. This was on the Sun in January. I was granted VIP status, but I was only booked in a balcony cabin. I must admit I did love the breakfasts each day. I organised the M&G and many of the private tours. I suggested a few other things, but the roll call seemed happy with that. I have done 4 cruises since -(April/May), but I've been happy to return to being just an attendee. In fact the person who organised the M&G on my TA did an amazing job. We had so many things/activities/dinners/sailaways etc to attend. Also organised a stash of Mardi Gras beads for all of us to wear to our activities. There were over 100 guests at the M&G, the gift exchange was fun and SeaDays saw fun games of LCR. She was a fellow Aussie and already had VIP perks due to booking in a suite. Just a great, fun organiser.

I think a organizer is good to reflect the roll call of the cruise. Ours was slow from the beginning, and with 4 ports in the 7 days and only 1 true sea day due to Hubbard Glacier, one event max was all we would get attendees for and I was correct.

I'm enjoying your review and pictures. It is so much work and I look forward to catching up on your pics each evening.:)

We are heading from the east coast to Seattle and then to Anchorageon Saturday. Then we catch the cruise on Monday. How long did it take to get through security at the airport in Seattle? We are flying to Seattle on Southwest and then have to get our luggage and then recheck our luggage with Delta and go through security. I want to make sure we have enough time between flights. :confused: Thanks!

We went through Security checkpoint 5 at Seatac and it took us 20 minutes. We also were 1st Class and could go through the Premium line. The regular line was about an hour start to finish. We went through at about 1130am.

What time are you arriving into Seattle and what time is your departure?

A bit of personal bias here. I apologize now about your flight from Seattle on Delta, Alaska is far better airline to Alaska.

The night before Sitka, we recieved a letter from Joaquin. He said we would be tendering in Sitka, and there was no need to pick up tender tickets if we were not on a NCL shore excursion, as he would take us down to the next available tender. While we were eating breakfast they had called tender tickets 1 through 4.

So as soon as we finished breakfast in La Cucina, we met Joaquin. We walked through the Four Seasons MDR, into a crew stairwell, down two decks to deck 3, and out onto the tender in 2 minutes flat.

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

starting to pull away from the ship.

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

Sitka small boat harbor

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

Sitka's tender dock

IMG_2648.jpg

My mom loves to paint lighthouses, so this picture was for her.

IMG_2649.jpg

same spot but zoomed out a little.

IMG_20160623_0832018_rewind.jpg

Sitka's tender dock

bnk_1908.jpg

I want the fish, and the bear didn't want me to have it.

bnk_1909.jpg

Susan wanted to share the fish!

IMG_20160623_0845132_rewind.jpg

We caught a free shuttle down to some shopping area, down by the public library and the small boat harbor. We took our cell phones off airplane mode, to catch up with one or two things, and to tell my Mom we were VIP.

We walked along the road, becuase there were several National Park sites along here. Sitka used to be the Territorial Capital for Russian Alaska. The handover of Alaska took place in Sitka. The Russian influence on Sitka is very prominent.

IMG_2651.jpg

walking up to the National Park Services Russian Bishop's House.

IMG_2652.jpg

she wasn't smiling, so I had to take it again. Sorry Sweetie!

IMG_20160623_0853456_rewind.jpg

better?

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

St. Peter's-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church - one of the oldest church's in Alaska.

IMG_2655.jpg

We walked through the bottom floor of the Russian Bishop's House, and saw an example of what the walls looked like unrestored. they also had room cut outs, so you could see the Russian siberian construction to keep a building warm. Too warm for Sitka infact!

I think a organizer is good to reflect the roll call of the cruise. Ours was slow from the beginning, and with 4 ports in the 7 days and only 1 true sea day due to Hubbard Glacier, one event max was all we would get attendees for and I was correct.

It's great you stepped forward to organise the M&G. I'm also enjoying reading your informative review. This is an itinerary I'd love to do, but haven't got around to organising it. I don't think it's going to happen this year-maybe next year!