An Alaskan Adventure on the Sun - Pictorial Review with Menus, Dailies, and Puppies.

shadowmeboy

I have really enjoyed reading this every night. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you've put into it. We are leaving on our first cruise in just a couple of weeks which is the NCL Jewel/ Sawyer Glacier trip. Very excited but very nervous. You've helped me a lot.

After lunch, I went to the Captain's Q & A, and Susan went to the towel folding demonstration.

IMG_3178.jpg

Iain MCing

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

Brian Walters, Captain Svedmark, and Chief Engineer Antun Puljizevic

A lot of questions about the water treatment issue, the wench problem in Sitka, and the itinerary changes. I asked what thier favorite restaurant was. the answers: Iain - Cagney's; Brian - Crew Mess; Captain - Moderno; Antun - Cagney's

Susan was at the towel folding demonstration.

IMG_20160626_1233589_rewind.jpg

IMG_20160626_1236158_rewind.jpg

IMG_20160626_123823.jpg

A lot of questions about the water treatment issue, the wench problem in Sitka, and the itinerary changes. I asked what thier favorite restaurant was. the answers: Iain - Cagney's; Brian - Crew Mess; Captain - Moderno; Antun - Cagney's

WELL! That sounds interesting :) :)

A lot of questions about the water treatment issue, the wench problem in Sitka, and the itinerary changes. I asked what their favorite restaurant was. the answers: Iain - Cagney's; Brian - Crew Mess; Captain - Moderno; Antun - Cagney's

WELL! That sounds interesting :) :)

Not as interesting as you would think. ;) a lot of engineering talk.

I have really enjoyed reading this every night. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you've put into it. We are leaving on our first cruise in just a couple of weeks which is the NCL Jewel/ Sawyer Glacier trip. Very excited but very nervous. You've helped me a lot.

Look at the review I did on a short trip on the Jewel. It can give you some ideas about the ship you are sailing. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2355797&page=1

Glad you are enjoying the review!

Thank you so much for doing this review. I have been enjoying it so much and realize that it takes a lot of time to do. As a first time cruiser leaving in August to Alaska it has been so helpful. Thank you again.

We are also going on our first cruise in August. We are on the Aug 6th Sawyer Glacier cruise.

This is the greatest review ever. I feel like I am right there with you guys! My husband and I will be sailing on the Sun from Seward to Vancouver on September 12. It will be our first vacation in ten years. Our room is right above yours, on deck 6. At first I was a little worried about the jogging track, but from your review it seems like it could actually be a benefit. Our itinerary it a little different from yours, we are going to Skagway not Sitka. We are planning to do the dog sled excursion there, as many folks on here say that is a boring port. We have never sailed NCL before, so you have really eased my mind about the condition of the ship and food on board. We will be spending 5 days in the Anchorage/McCarthy/Kennecott area before the cruise. 53 days and counting..I hope to post a lengthy review as well! But my photography won't be near as good as yours! Thank you for sharing such a positive review! You guys look so happy!

Thank you so much for doing this review. I have been enjoying it so much and realize that it takes a lot of time to do. As a first time cruiser leaving in August to Alaska it has been so helpful. Thank you again.

I am glad it has been helpful! That was my goal in doing this review.

We are also going on our first cruise in August. We are on the Aug 6th Sawyer Glacier cruise.

Enjoy! Make sure to take the train in Skagway!

What a great review!!!!! We're booked for same time next year but we're doing the 7 day land tour first! Loved all the pics! Which was your favorite port?????

On this trip, it would have to be Sitka. The town was beautiful, the weather was beautiful, and seeing the birds and bears was awesome!

Now, my favorite shore excursion was the Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Discovery. I really wish we could have done it in Skagway.

I cannot wait to sail Alaska again, but my next itinerary will include Glacier Bay.

This is the greatest review ever. I feel like I am right there with you guys! My husband and I will be sailing on the Sun from Seward to Vancouver on September 12. It will be our first vacation in ten years. Our room is right above yours, on deck 6. At first I was a little worried about the jogging track, but from your review it seems like it could actually be a benefit. Our itinerary it a little different from yours, we are going to Skagway not Sitka. We are planning to do the dog sled excursion there, as many folks on here say that is a boring port. We have never sailed NCL before, so you have really eased my mind about the condition of the ship and food on board. We will be spending 5 days in the Anchorage/McCarthy/Kennecott area before the cruise. 53 days and counting..I hope to post a lengthy review as well! But my photography won't be near as good as yours! Thank you for sharing such a positive review! You guys look so happy!

I found deck 6 offered great vantage points when in certain areas. I did like going up to deck 12 during certain times as well.

Your itinerary is what ours should have been. While I was initially disapointed, the excellent weather and time we had in Sitka made up for it.

Enjoy NCL, while some on here bash it for some of its policies and decisions, it is still your vacation. Make of it what you want. If you want to go to every show, then do it. If Bingo is your thing, then do it. The staff really cared on board, from our room steward to the Captain. Brian Walters is a great influence on the Sun. Plus, being so small it never felt crowded.

I look forward to reading your review. Post a link here in mine when you start writing it!

Thank you for your kind words, and we are very happy!

Fantastic review!!!!! I LOVE it and appreciate how much effort has gone in to this. I'm on the Jewel from Seattle to Alaska on July 30 and can't wait!!!! Your review has made me even more anxious!

Thank you, and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you- great review! You've got me wanting to book this itinerary sometime very soon!

You should! Just give yourself a few days to explore Anchorage or even Denali!

Moderno was on tap again for our final dinner. Ali was so awesome we had to come see him again!

IMG_3202.jpg

The salad bar at Moderno

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

Susan's salad plate

IMG_3206.jpg

This is Miss Grace! She was the hostess each morning in La Cucina and also at Dinner in Moderno. She was awesome and always on point. She was a great resource when we had questions.

IMG_3211.jpg

Susan got the soup off the salad bar.

IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

They brought all three desserts.

IMG_3221.jpg

We talked with Ali for a bit, and wished him well on his upcoming vacation (2-3 months away). We left stuffed and happy!

Down to deck 6 for more pictures.

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

Off to the show we went. Tuey Wilson was doing his juggling performance tonight.

IMG_3225.jpg

Iain introducing Tuey.