New to Norwegian HELP?

We are thinking of going on the Norwegian Escape in Feb. We have cruised many times with Royal Caribbean but are taking our kids for the first time and found better deals price wise over here. My kids will be almost 8, 6 and 3. I have some questions if anyone can help!!

Is this a good ship for little kids?

Is there a lot of entertainment and activities during the day and at night that are kid friendly?

Are the activities like bowling and rock wall included or an added charge?

We are new to the free style dining so wondering how many restaurants are included in your cruise fare and how many are up charged?

As for the Waterfront dining venues are they included? Are some included or all upcharged?

Thanks so much for any help and tips. I really appreciate the help!!

Edited by CruisingGAL82

I'm kinda in the same boat (lol) We are cruising Escape in December with our 11 and 9 year old grand children and were wondering about the kids programs. I did read Gambee's review of the Escape and it looks great - just his perspective is not from that of one with children. What he did review of the activities, it looks like they will have lots to do.

I'd be interested if someone has cruised the Escape with young children and they could respond to the OP's questions as well. Thanks!!!

We are thinking of going on the Norwegian Escape in Feb. We have cruised many times with Royal Caribbean but are taking our kids for the first time and found better deals price wise over here. My kids will be almost 8, 6 and 3. I have some questions if anyone can help!!

Is there a lot of entertainment and activities during the day and at night that are kid friendly?

We are new to the free style dining so wondering how many restaurants are included in your cruise fare and how many are up charged?

As for the Waterfront dining venues are they included? Are some included or all upcharged?

I've cruised the Escape twice, but my DH and I don't have kids (but may start that adventure sooner rather than later). I'll try to give you some help. :)

IMO, of the 3 NCL ships I've been on, it seems to be one of NCL's best ships for kids. There's quite a lot to do for all ages - the ropes course (there's a smaller version of the larger one for smaller kids), kids' club activities (pirate shows, cupcake making) and other activities, shows for the adults, etc. Don't recall a rock climbing wall on the Escape.

Not sure of the age ranges for NCL's kids' club program, but I've read they're very strict about not letting kids join their brothers' or sisters' group if they don't fall into the same age group. You may want to check that out if your kids will want to do club activities.

Bowling is an extra charge on all NCL ships. IIRC, we paid $7 per person for each game on the Epic last year. Didn't bowl on the Escape earlier this year or last November, so I'm not sure if the price has increased since then.

There's are separate adults and kids' pools, and the kids' pool seemed quite deep. Someone else may know the exact depth. I remember thinking it was really deep, especially for young kids, when we wandered by it. There's a water/splash area with a smaller slide right next to, though.

As for dining, the complimentary restaurants are the 3 MDRs (Taste, Savor, the Manhattan Room), O'Sheehan's, and the buffet. With the exception of Food Republic and Margaritaville, we've only ever eaten at the free dining options. We really enjoy NCL's food. Food is subjective, though. :)

Restaurants along the Waterfront are all upcharge restaurants. If you do by chance get an adults-only meal, check out Food Republic. My DH and I spent $27 there and it was fantastic.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your cruise on the Escape!

Thanks so much for the help. That does answer some important things. I wasn't sure of the layout of these ships or how all the restaurants worked. On Royal ships everything is included except a few up charge venues but even like ice skating and all is all included but they are more expensive so that makes sense.

Still wondering if anyone out there specifically has done the Escape or the Gataway with young kids. Are there parades or pool games of any kind? Are there any shows at night that kids could also go to? I know on Royal ships there are ice cream machines out on the pool decks all afternoon. Anything like that???

Thanks! for any insight!

Thanks so much for the help. That does answer some important things. I wasn't sure of the layout of these ships or how all the restaurants worked. On Royal ships everything is included except a few up charge venues but even like ice skating and all is all included but they are more expensive so that makes sense.

Still wondering if anyone out there specifically has done the Escape or the Gataway with young kids. Are there parades or pool games of any kind? Are there any shows at night that kids could also go to? I know on Royal ships there are ice cream machines out on the pool decks all afternoon. Anything like that???

Thanks! for any insight!

There are soft-serve ice cream machines on the pool decks on NCL ships. Generally, they're right outside the buffet areas.

Thanks! for any insight!

We were on the Getaway in May. My kids were 9, 11, and 14. They absolutely loved the activity deck. The rock wall, ropes course, and bungee trampoline were favorites as well as the slides.

I don't recall any pool games or parades, but I have read about the kids club doing a pirate parade one night. My kids didn't do the clubs so I'm not sure. At night, we loved the comedy shows. The first two each night are family shows and the late show is adults only. If BA has Illusionarium, your kids will probably love that, but there is an upcharge. It was the only pay restaurant we did and my kids were begging to go back another night. There was a family activity each evening. If you check the dailies, you can get an idea of what they were.

I can tell you that during our time on that ship, I never once heard the words "I'm bored" and since we have been home they have been asking when we can go back!

Is this a good ship for little kids? Yes and No - I think RCCL is better for your 6 and 3 year old but the 8 year old will have a great time on the water slides

Is there a lot of entertainment and activities during the day and at night that are kid friendly? The kids clubs are comparable unless we are talking about the Oasis/Allure/Harmony - I think that's the best one on the seas with the arts lab, science lab, movie theatre, etc... but kids are easily entertained, so I think your 8 and 6 year olds will have a great time

Are the activities like bowling and rock wall included or an added charge? The escape does not have a rock climbing wall -- the rope course (and a mini one for your 3 year old), I don't think it has the bungee or spider climb BUT the waterpark is better than any on RCCL; also there is mini golf and in the atrium there's a big video wall where they have wii games, movies, and kids stuff, etc... Oh and I think bowling is $5 pp per game

We are new to the free style dining so wondering how many restaurants are included in your cruise fare and how many are up charged? The one thing I found about the "free" restaurants is that the service is really (and I me REALLY) slow. My first NCL cruise was on the Epic (and my experience) I was almost not going to go back but because of the free upcharged dining package, I gave it another try. And now, I have to get the specialtly restaurants package otherwise I'd rather eat at the buffet every night. With the kids, you can take them to these restaurants and as long as they have the kids meal, it's free for them.

As for the Waterfront dining venues are they included? Are some included or all upcharged? All upcharged....but kids are free as long as they eat off the kids menu (mac and chees, burger, etc...same at each restauratn)

Cannot comment on ship and kids

Bowling cost extra, rock walk doesn't

3 Main dining rooms, buffet and pub are complimentary

Room service has a partially complimentary breakfast menu, anything else has a service charge for the trip

Waterfront dining venues cost extra

We were on the Getaway in May. My kids were 9, 11, and 14. They absolutely loved the activity deck. The rock wall, ropes course, and bungee trampoline were favorites as well as the slides.

I don't recall any pool games or parades, but I have read about the kids club doing a pirate parade one night. My kids didn't do the clubs so I'm not sure. At night, we loved the comedy shows. The first two each night are family shows and the late show is adults only. If BA has Illusionarium, your kids will probably love that, but there is an upcharge. It was the only pay restaurant we did and my kids were begging to go back another night. There was a family activity each evening. If you check the dailies, you can get an idea of what they were.

I can tell you that during our time on that ship, I never once heard the words "I'm bored" and since we have been home they have been asking when we can go back!

Thanks so much!!! Very helpful!

Is this a good ship for little kids? Yes and No - I think RCCL is better for your 6 and 3 year old but the 8 year old will have a great time on the water slides

Is there a lot of entertainment and activities during the day and at night that are kid friendly? The kids clubs are comparable unless we are talking about the Oasis/Allure/Harmony - I think that's the best one on the seas with the arts lab, science lab, movie theatre, etc... but kids are easily entertained, so I think your 8 and 6 year olds will have a great time

Are the activities like bowling and rock wall included or an added charge? The escape does not have a rock climbing wall -- the rope course (and a mini one for your 3 year old), I don't think it has the bungee or spider climb BUT the waterpark is better than any on RCCL; also there is mini golf and in the atrium there's a big video wall where they have wii games, movies, and kids stuff, etc... Oh and I think bowling is $5 pp per game

We are new to the free style dining so wondering how many restaurants are included in your cruise fare and how many are up charged? The one thing I found about the "free" restaurants is that the service is really (and I me REALLY) slow. My first NCL cruise was on the Epic (and my experience) I was almost not going to go back but because of the free upcharged dining package, I gave it another try. And now, I have to get the specialtly restaurants package otherwise I'd rather eat at the buffet every night. With the kids, you can take them to these restaurants and as long as they have the kids meal, it's free for them.

As for the Waterfront dining venues are they included? Are some included or all upcharged? All upcharged....but kids are free as long as they eat off the kids menu (mac and chees, burger, etc...same at each restauratn)

Thanks so much!!

My children (12 yrs and 8yrs) have been crushing with us for years. And they prefer, hands down, NCL's kids club over Royals and others. They like how when they put out a daily schedule of events they stick to it. Versus just letting the kids dictate what they do and then end up playing dodge ball or Gaga ball all day. We have done 2 RCCL cruises with them and on both they didn't give them an opportunity to really utilize the science lab or art studio.

On NCL they love the activities and made friends they are still in touch with. As a plus, as a parent I found the organization on NCL better as well. Easier signup...way easier sign in/out. Much more efficient and still incredibly secure!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by alangford03

There is a great Review of Getaway posted today by cc member Songerling . He has 5 kids and wrote a great family oriented and detailed review. There is enough that Escape and Getaway have in common that his review may help you.

It looks like it. There's the water park and slides and they have programs and activities for all those ages.

Yes.

The Rock Wall is included, but bowling requires credits just like all the other arcade games.

There are 8 Specialty venues. The dining rooms, O'Sheehan's and the buffet are complimentary.

All up charge, unless you have the UDP.

Answers inline.