2 Pide questions from a newbie

Welsh Lass

Calling all Pride experts! I have heard that the Pride is notorious for arriving late into port thus delaying boarding. A few people have mentioned tracking the ships arrival so they know when to arrive and avoid a lengthy wait to enter the car park and terminal. Is anyone able to tell me what the tracker app is please? We have FTTF, and whilst we are keen to get onboard to explore asap, we are staying over night in Baltimore so could arrive quickly once we know the ship has docked. Also, are toiletries such as soap and shower gel provided in the bathrooms? Thanks in advance & feel free to add any other advice/tips you may have 😀

soap and toiletries provided, Pride is often late due to the currents in Chesapeake Bay

I have never heard this before. I know it has been late because of storms in the Atlantic. Interesting.

Been on the pride numerous times and always arrived on time or even a bit earlier. Depends on each sailing and the situations going on whether it is rough seas, delay earlier in trip, etc.

If you can get Baltimore channels up there in PA just tune into WJZ-TV, a local channel here and at some point during their 1hr show you can see if the ship is in or getting close. We watch for it every week whether we are sailing on not. Just love to see her come in.

We have been on the Pride 5 times and yes, it does arrive late sometimes. The earliest I would arrive is 3 hours after it docks. The first passengers start getting off about 45 to 1 hours after it docks ad it takes about 2 hours to debarkation on a fast days, but not sure since the gangway is not functioning.

Have a great time, wonderful ship and crew!!

Ship tracking services utilize the AIS (Automated Information System) transponder that ships have, similar to airliner transponders that identify them to air traffic controllers. The system was originally intended for ships to identify themselves to each other without the need of radio calls, so it is a low power, line of sight system. This means that once a ship is out of sight of a land based receiver station, it is no longer tracked. Even the satellite "upgrade" that these services offer for a fee are limited by law to only one satellite position every 24 hours. Therefore, on many services, the ship will show as "out of range" for a large period of time during the cruise, depending on the itinerary. Sea-scanner defaults to giving a possibly false location based on the ship's itinerary, which can be misleading. True ship tracking sites like marinetraffic.com will just tell you what the last position received was, and how long ago it was received.

Coming up the Bay, any of the tracker services will work, as there are land stations all along the way, so you will have 8 hours or so of positions. I don't believe that the currents in the Bay have caused delays, the ship does not go full speed up the bay normally, so it has some reserve power to counter any current.

Edited by chengkp75

Thanks for the interesting ship tracking information.

Is the gangway still broken in Baltimore?

Another poster said the gangway repair could take another couple of months. They were told that by the captain on the behind the fun tour.