Solo river cruising help- Vantage Grand European Tour

mgasaway

Hi! I'm an ocean cruise and European travel veteran but new to river cruising - and for my first one I'm doing it solo. I'm on the Vantage Grand European Tour Amsterdam to Budapest October 27-Nov 12 2017. Any hints or tips would sure be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Mgasaway. I did my first river cruise last year, and it was as a solo on Uniworld. I found it easier to meet and talk with people on my river cruise than I did on my ocean cruises, although I'm comfortable with both types of cruising. There are far fewer passengers on a river cruise, and for the most part, everyone is doing the ship's excursions so it's just natural that you strike up conversations and get to know your fellow passengers. Meals are open seating and that allows you to mix and mingle, and the bar/lounge is a gathering point because there aren't the entertainment venues that there are on an ocean vessel.

I went in early November, and found it to be an ideal time to be in Europe. It's cooler, which is great for touring, and there aren't the crowds that you find in the summer. The only downside is it gets dark early, so that's the tradeoff.

Roz