5 Year Old In Adventure Ocean

Anyone have a 5 year old that has spent time in AO? There is a big difference between a 3 year old and a 5 year old, so I guess I'm worried that my 5 year old will be bored and frustrated with activities that are too young for him, especially knowing that big brother (9 ) is off doing other things.

Anyone have a 5 year old that has spent time in AO? There is a big difference between a 3 year old and a 5 year old, so I guess I'm worried that my 5 year old will be bored and frustrated with activities that are too young for him, especially knowing that big brother (9 ) is off doing other things.

Our kids have spend lots of time in each of the age groups and we have come across no issues. We worried about this when she was 5 and again at 8 when at the top of the age group but she seemed to have fun. Our youngest is now 10 and would still rather go to AO rather than most shows. I wouldn't worry.

My son is 5.5 and we are just off the Enchantment yesterday. He loved Adventure Ocean and begged to go and was sad when it was time to leave. He won prizes of a small octopus keychain and a baseball hat and was so happy. He has been on Allure and Oasis and loved the club there, too. I was a little worried about the experience on a smaller ship, but he really enjoyed his time there!

When my daughter was 5, Adventure Ocean was the place to be. By 8 she was getting bored because the have the same events every cruise. Even at 8 she liked the late night pj parties. At 5 we could hardly get her out of there before the closed at 1 am because she was having such a great time with the staff. We have always found the AO Staff to be among the best staff on the ship and my daughter always bonded with them.

When we were on Freedom a few years ago our kids were almost 6 and 8 and they split them up into different groups because of their ages. My son is a big kid and at 5&10 months he totally didn't fit into the younger group (both size and maturity) so they moved him up to be with his sister after the first day. I think it depends on the kids and their numbers though.

I think thats where my worry stems from. My son won't be quite 5.5 years old. (Turns 5 on 10/1.) He struggled majorly at daycare when the numbers were low and he would get grouped with the young 4s and 3 year olds. Now that he's starting school in the fall, he's been switched to be with all school age kids and the difference is night and day. I'm sure part of it is his size...he's a big kid, almost the same height and weight as his big brother who is 4 years older. (Granted big brother is on the smaller size, but still.)

I think thats where my worry stems from. My son won't be quite 5.5 years old. (Turns 5 on 10/1.) He struggled majorly at daycare when the numbers were low and he would get grouped with the young 4s and 3 year olds. Now that he's starting school in the fall, he's been switched to be with all school age kids and the difference is night and day. I'm sure part of it is his size...he's a big kid, almost the same height and weight as his big brother who is 4 years older. (Granted big brother is on the smaller size, but still.)

The staff has the discretion to move the kids so if he is ends up in a group with mostly 3yo and there are lots of 6yo in older group they may move him. Perhaps there will be several others close to his age in the younger group. See how the first day goes and go from there. Good luck!

And it works the other way too, which is nice. The AO staff had no problem letting my son participate in the 3-5 yr group at 6 yrs old, since he is on the autism spectrum and developmentally has much more in common with 4-5 yr olds than 6-8 yr olds. We were very happy they were so flexible.

Next summer adult children and grandsons ( 7 & 6) will be on Oasis and was wondering about the AO program (first cruise for grandsons). Sounds like they will have a great time! What are the hours of the AO? Hubby and I have cruised before but didn't have to know this then. :rolleyes:

And it works the other way too, which is nice. The AO staff had no problem letting my son participate in the 3-5 yr group at 6 yrs old, since he is on the autism spectrum and developmentally has much more in common with 4-5 yr olds than 6-8 yr olds. We were very happy they were so flexible.

This is great to hear, as this reason has been my concern. My now 5 yr old is on the spectrum and my now 8 year old has an intellectual disability. They will be 6 & 9 at sailing. Both are small for their ages, most kindergarten kids are the same age as my 8year old and most 3 year olds are the size of my 5year old. I was told since both have disabilities I can request them to be aged down once onboard. I know my kids get lost a lot with kids their own age unless they are same age special needs as well. If in the general population they need adult support to keep up with their peers. But I understand AO is great so looking forward to it.

Edited by MCManders99

Next summer adult children and grandsons ( 7 & 6) will be on Oasis and was wondering about the AO program (first cruise for grandsons). Sounds like they will have a great time! What are the hours of the AO? Hubby and I have cruised before but didn't have to know this then. :rolleyes:

Generally there is a morning session from ~9 to 11:30, Afternoon from ~1 to 4pm, Evening from ~6:30 to 10 for free, and after 10 there is a charge until as late as 2 am. On formal nights you can sign up for the kids to go to dinner with AO staff, usually Johnny Rockets (no charge). Port days they are open all day and take the kids to lunch if you want to leave them on the ship while you go ashore.

The activities are "dead-on" age-wise...your boy will NOT be bored....he may never want to leave the club to spend time with you! If the staff feels a child is bored, they will ask your permission to move them up.

Edited by cb at sea

We haven't used AO with a 5 year old, but twice now DS has been in AO when they mix the 6-8 year olds and the 9-11s. And both times the counselors have been VERY good at keeping the kids engaged in appropriate activities.

I would guess that it will be the same with the younger group.

We had my daughter that had turned 3 the week before the cruise and my son who was 5yr and 2 months on our last cruise and they had a great time! There were kids of all ages and my son gravitated towards and older kids and my daughter...well the older ones too! :eek: The activities were a blast and the kids still talk about it!

This post is answering a lot of our questions. We too will be traveling with grandkids...four in all ages will be 8,6,6, and4. We will be on the Allure in April during school vacation week. Our concern is that our four and a half year old will want to be with the older ones. Sounds like staff may have some flexibility. She is tall for her age. Hope it all works out:)

This post is answering a lot of our questions. We too will be traveling with grandkids...four in all ages will be 8,6,6, and4. We will be on the Allure in April during school vacation week. Our concern is that our four and a half year old will want to be with the older ones. Sounds like staff may have some flexibility. She is tall for her age. Hope it all works out:)

What sailing in April are you going on the allure? We are going April 9.

A 4 year old put into a room with 6 through 8 year olds? Honestly I hope that isn't allowed. There's too big of an age, interest, and ability difference IMO.

And during a big school vacation week it's less likely. The times they have mixed age groups during our cruises were during January (after school had started) and October. During the pre-easter March cruise this year it was all very separate.

I am worried about the same thing. We are sailing at the end of August, and our son will be 6 in November. This will be the 3rd time he is in the Aquanauts 3-5 year old group. There is a huge difference between a child in Grade 1 who is almost 6, and a 3 year old. However, the same can be said in comparison to an 8 year old. We plan on enrolling him in the 3-5 year old group, and asking the teachers to see whether they feel he should move up after a day or 2 (if it is even allowed).

Thanks to all for your answers, very informative! This cruise is not until next summer and our grandsons can't stop talking about it!! :D It will be their first airplane trip and cruise!! Again thank you!

A 4 year old put into a room with 6 through 8 year olds? Honestly I hope that isn't allowed. There's too big of an age, interest, and ability difference IMO.

And during a big school vacation week it's less likely. The times they have mixed age groups during our cruises were during January (after school had started) and October. During the pre-easter March cruise this year it was all very separate.

My granddaughter has no problem keeping up with older brother and cousin, she's used to being around older kids on a regular basis. I fear the younger program would not be enough for her:)