Glacier Point Wilderness Safari question??

villager13

Do they provide anything to wear on this excursion like jackets, boots, etc or do you take your own ? We are just wondering if we take a backpack with extra clothes, rain gear, etc. if there is room to put it on the raft you paddle. It didn't look like any extra room on those boats.

Anyone that has taken this excursion do you have any tips?

Thanks!

I did this excursion several years ago, so some things may have changed. They brought us to a "dressing station" where they had all the possible gear that could be needed. We were suited up and then walked to the canoe. No, there is not much "extra" room in the canoe. BTW, This excursion ranks as one of all my time favorite cruise excursions. Enjoy it! :)

Just returned from doing the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and you are correct! It was amazing and the best excursion we have done so far on this trip. Weather was perfect and some people were even wearing shorts and tee shirts. The guides are fantastic and the scenery is spectacular! I high recommend it!

They have every you'll need. But, I would suggest maybe bringing an extra pair of socks to provide extra padding for your feet. The boots are rubber swamp type boots and are a "general" size - so they might not fit as well as some that you'd have at home. You do quite a walk between the dressing area and the area where you board the canoes. This walk is through a rainforest type area. Then you canoe to the foot of the glacial moraine and walk/hike a fair bit - walking only on small to medium sized rocks. No a hard walk by any means - just not super stable footing. You don't want a blister or a damaged toenail to overshadow your excursion. (mine took almost a year to finally fall off)

I did this excursion last year and completely agree with the others before me. The most wonderful and amazing excursion. I'm sure you will love it as well.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone done this trip recently (through the cruise ship, not independently)?  I'm trying to find out how many people they generally take.  I would normally do an independent excursion (because they are usually smaller groups), but we have $500 of OBC that I'm trying to burn (our gratuities, drinks, and transfers are already included as part of a promotion).

28 minutes ago, Mrs Booboo said:

Has anyone done this trip recently (through the cruise ship, not independently)?  I'm trying to find out how many people they generally take.  I would normally do an independent excursion (because they are usually smaller groups), but we have $500 of OBC that I'm trying to burn (our gratuities, drinks, and transfers are already included as part of a promotion).

I have not done this trip, but have a suggestion if you are booked on a Princess cruise. When you go to book an excursion on Princess in the Cruise Personalizer if you click on the View Details button you can see how many spots are currently left for that excursion.  I know that will not tell you how many have already booked but it might give you an idea if people have not started booking yet.

I am not sure if other lines have this as well but it might be worth checking.

58 minutes ago, Mrs Booboo said:

I would recommend that you do a search for this from last year. There was a death involved and several (past) employees indicated that correct safety measures/up to date equipment was not maintained properly.

I don't think it matters if you book independently or not, they will take the same amount of people in each group.

Edited by Coral

Amazing excursion, but beware if the weather is nasty!  Our trip was an adventure..and not the good kind due to the weather conditions.  Operator told us we were with a single mph difference in wind to cancelling and it made the going really rough.  One poor guy was still green walking around the ship hours later!  That said, the trip was well worth it and we saw things that you can’t see on the beaten path.