No more brochures

I can't help thinking this is a ill thought out idea from TUI, lots of folks like to look through hard copy brochures.

A similar move has been going on in the consumer electronics world for a while - I bought a DSLR camera a couple or so years back and it only came with a very basic start up guide.

The full instruction manual (160 pages) was on a CD supplied with the kit.

I believe even that has been replaced with online downloads.

I have an up to date brochure at home, and keep one in our caravan for rainy day plotting and planning. Only use the web when I have an idea where we fancy going and when, and even then, I go along to my TA armed with my brochure to book.

Can't see how booking with a TA without a brochure would work at all. They never like to show you their screen when they are working on it, so how will that work? Will they still need TA's I wonder, or will all bookings be on line. Hopeless - that has been having a refurb for at least 12 months and is still not right.

Will also miss the cruise calendar in the front of the brochures. As my old brochure goes out, I keep the calendar with any cruise taken highlighted.

So disappointing to go down this route.

Gill

Edited by gillhalfpint

WeeCountyMan,

Am with you with this no manuals or brochures :eek:

and if god forbid a weapon is used to wipe all microchips then as they say on Dads Army, we are all etc etc.

technology is a wonderful thing but ??

Stevie

Agreed.

Two or three years ago our local Thomas Cook went through a no brochure trial, on instructions from above. The next time I visited they were back to stacked shelves, obviously the experiment did not work out.

Retailers needs to exhibit goods for sale in their shop window - holiday brochures are a TA's equivalent.

This move appears to be an attempt to get more punters to buy holidays from TUI shops, rather than only going there to collect brochures before booking online. :confused:

Maybe if they removed the ridiculous instore £25 service charge that would help.

This is not a very good idea..........especially as they can't even work out how to put their ex UK cruises on the website! :rolleyes:

Besides which, you can't take the computer in the bath with you. This is where I do most of my planning.:)

Edited by happy v

Will also miss the cruise calendar in the front of the brochures. As my old brochure goes out, I keep the calendar with any cruise taken highlighted.

Gill

I love looking through the brochures too Gill, but you can download a brochure and still get the cruise calendar :)

https://thomson.inbro.net/seeinsidebrochure/Thomson_Cruise:-May-2016-...-April-2017:-December-edition/INTRODUCING-THOMSON-CRUISES/Cruise-Calendar/page_3

I would imagine that booking on line is ok when all goes well, I have booked for one of our cruise's next year, first time we have ever booked without a TA, and we have had nothing but trouble, three emails four phone calls and a letter and we still do not know what our itinerary is or how the costs have been worked out. Booked another cruise last week with our normal TA with no problems, I personally feel it's worth the extra just to see someone face to face if you have a problem but that probably just me and I will never book on line again but as they say never is a long time😉😉😉😉

This time when we booked OH rang around all the Thomson TAs and managed to get the price down to below the online price AND without the admin charge - but you're very right we do all the work before we get there and often have to point out things on screen that some travel agents miss !!:o

I love looking through the brochures too Gill, but you can download a brochure and still get the cruise calendar :)

https://thomson.inbro.net/seeinsidebrochure/Thomson_Cruise:-May-2016-...-April-2017:-December-edition/INTRODUCING-THOMSON-CRUISES/Cruise-Calendar/page_3

Cheers Linda. I love my calendars, and am only missing the one for our first cruise in Jan 12. Started saving them from Jan 13. Does this mean the brochures won't be in the shops, but can be browsed on line? Time will tell.