Bird Flu

CocaColaCruiser

Since the bird flu is not passed from person to person at this time, unless you plan on handling any birds while there, I wouldn't let it bother me. I'm not worried about it for our trip in June where we will be in both Greece and Turkey, just planning on washing hands often as we normally would.

We are booked on the 2/5/06 Nautica cruise - Hong Kong to Bangkok. By that time Tamiflu will be widely available since Roche is allowing a generic form to be produced. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Just bring the Tamiflu with you as a precaution just like you would bring antibiotics etc.

As I have mentioned before, when you are in a less developed country, while on shore, don't eat anything unless it is fully cooked and steaming hot. Don't drink anything unless it is "brand name" bottled water purchased in a reputable store (there may be local fakes). Don't go any place outside of the well developed tourist district. Make sure you talk to your own family doctor ahead of time and get all the necessary vaccinations and advice. Wash or sanitize your hands as often as possible, and don't touch your eyes or your nose before washing your hands. While you may "experience" a bit less and perhaps have less fun, it is always better to be safe than sorry!

This post is not Bird Flu related, just a helpful hint.

For my first trips to Southeast Asia and to the Amazon, I went to the travel clinic at the local hospital on the north shore of Chicago, and had the usual shots, etc. But the most valuable information I received was from one of the doctors, also a frequent traveler, who suggested I take 2 Pepto Bismol pills, daily while traveling.

Needless to say, I'm the only one to travel with a group of approx 30 friends and family, who has never picked up any type of a bug on numerous trips to 'exotic' ports. Maybe it's just luck, but I think it's the PB pills.

You should be fine if you exercise the usual precautions while ashore. Don't handle live birds or dead fowl, and avoid those that do. Walk a wide swath around any open-air poultry markets and bring some anti-bacterial hand sanitizer with you. Use napkins or towelettes when handling faucets and opening restroom doors and don't shake hands (in Asia, bowing is not only welcomed, but appropriate).

Recent returnees advise against trusting bottled water, because some unscrupulous vendors are filling water bottles with tap water and recapping them (beware the local cafe where the waiter quickly opens the bottle before you've had a chance to make sure the seal was intact). Instead, restrict yourself to drinking carbonated beverages while ashore - the locals haven't figured out a way to re-insert carbonation at the point of sale. Yet. (Don't tell them about Alka-Seltzer).

And of course, buy travel insurance. Not only might it cover any medical treatment you might need overseas, it'll also protect you if anything detrimentally impacts your air carrier or cruise line. Sunday's Washington Post Travel section featured a letter from a family who had to cancel a $7900 cruise because one member was suddenly stricken with undiagnosed diabetes within the 75-day post-final payment window, and they declined to purchase travel insurance either from the cruise line or from a private carrier.

The columnist regretfully informed the family that the cruise line was well within its rights to force them to forfeit their payment as the terms were clearly spelled out in the contract, and that crediting the $7900 towards a future cruise was solely at the discretion of the cruise line. Given the rising price of fuel, and the abundance of last-minute openings, what do you think their odds of recovering $7900 are?

When you buy cruise insurance, make sure your air carrier is covered under that policy - many insurers are now excluding from coverage any air carrier operating under bankruptcy protection at the time the ticket was purchased - in other words, passengers holding tickets on United, Delta, Continental, USAirways, Independence, and a host of other carriers are going to be out of luck if those carriers go out of business between now and your sailing date. Furthermore, the Section 145 passenger protection provisions (requiring operating carriers to rebook you for only a $50 surcharge if a competitor goes defunct) expires on November 19th, unless Congress renews it. In other words, you could be hit with a full-price same-day walk-up fare if you want to catch your ship or fly home!

Other than that, relax and have fun on your cruise! :)

Hi I am on Oceania March 16th Beijing to HK. I am also concerned, and will be taking face masks and tamiflu (as I always do anyway to Asia) as precautions, just in case. But I don't believe in 'not going outside well haunted tourist places' or whatever - it's a calculated risk, and each individual's decision of course. For me, I'll be watching the news carefully; if H5N1 looks like it might have mutated to cross the human animal barrier, I will cancel. This comes from someone who has lived in Asia, but has reduced immunity.

Hi lahore,

We are also on the Beijing to Hong Kong cruise and have been watching the bird flu news. We cancelled our China trip two years ago because of SARS and rebooked a tour to Vietnam and Cambodia last year. I too have an immune problem and will decide when the final payment is due. Tonight NCB news just announced that the maker of Tamiflu won't sell any to the US.

sheila

For Sheila

You can get Tamiflu here as I bought some last year when we travelled, but that was before the whole Bird Flu scare and apparent reduced global availability. I have one packet at home still, looks like I better treasure them. I will find out next time I go to the Doctors whether I can still get them, maybe I can buy for you if we both end up going.

Hi lahore,

That was very thoughtful of you, but if it comes to an epidemic before we go, I will cancel. I remember two years ago when some hospital in China drove some patients with SARS around in a bus until the WHO ended their visit at the hospital. I have Hep C and am very concerned about exposure to any health problems. My husband went to Africa with his brother in February and is looking forward to going to India in the future.

Thanks again.

Sheila

"if it comes to an epidemic before we go, I will cancel."

Does Travel Insurance cover cancelling a cruise if YOU think it might not be safe even though the cruise itself takes place?

Check with your individual insurer - some have "no-fault" coverage that protects you whether you or the cruise line cancels your trip.

Posted on Sun, Oct. 30, 2005

Tips to avoid bird flu, even on cruise

ANDREA SACHS

Washington Post

Q. I'm booked on a cruise from Bangkok that stops in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Nagasaki, Okinawa, Taipei, Nha Grand, Ho Chi Minh City and Singapore. Because of the area's avian flu outbreak, is it safe to go?

Concern over avian influenza, or bird flu, has grown exponentially, especially among travelers to Asia, where a number of people have contracted the disease in Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand, and have even died from it. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does "not recommend that the general public avoid travel to any of the countries affected by H5N1 (bird flu)," according to its Web site, but the agency is advising travelers to follow certain precautions when visiting these areas with avian flu activity.

The Web site offers suggestions on how to protect yourself pre-departure (example: Assemble a first-aid kit with a thermometer and alcohol-based anti-bacterial gel) as well as post-trip (example: Monitor your health for 10 days).

However, the most crucial safeguards to follow are during your trip. "Avoid all direct contact with poultry," says CDC spokeswoman Christine Pearson, explaining that the virus is transmitted through nasal secretions, feces and touching. Hence, it's best to skip the poultry markets and farms, though Pearson adds, "If you're going on a cruise, most likely you won't be going to a poultry farm."

In addition, all poultry means dead or alive, so skip shops where birds may have contaminated surfaces, such as butcher shops. As for food, heat destroys the virus, so make sure the meat is well-cooked (on the street and on the cruise ship -- just to be safe). Ditto for eggs and dishes made with, yes, chicken or duck blood. Also, frequently wash your hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based sanitation gel.

CDC bird flu info: (800) 311-3435, toll-free; http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/ avian_influenza_se_asia_ 2005.htm.

Since poultry is cooked side by side with beef and pork, etc. in any kitchen, it may be a good idea to eat all meat well done. If a kitchen (be it on ship or ashore) gives you "overcooked" meat of any kind (not honouring your request for its being rare or medium rare), you should be understanding (that they are doing it for your own good) and not complain!

Archived