Veendam Bermuda cruise with pre-teen kids

kahtrav

I'm looking for another cruise to take the family on (we've done Caribbean and Alaska) and aren't really interested in Mexico. We were in Bermuda for a day in May and it looked like it might be a spot the family would enjoy for a couple of days.

We often cruise HAL and don't generally think of it for kids, but our grand kids (will be 11 and 13) aren't real "joiners" for kids activities. Both HAL and Celebrity have 7 day cruises which allow most of 3 days in Bermuda, which I think would be great. Royal Caribbean has a 5 day cruise, but it's only in port one day and heads back.

Any thoughts?

Karen

Having done 10 Bermuda cruises (last year on Veendam from Boston) I would definitely opt for Veendam over the others. We did Celebrity the year before from New Jersey. Veedam , because of its smaller size, berths in Hamilton which is way superior (IMHO) from the other ships which due to size must tie up at the Naval Dockyard in the west end which results in far more crowds from the larger ships. The grandkids will appreciate the extra time in Bermuda that HAL affords versus the other lines although Veendam is a smaller ship for them there is less time at sea and more time to enjoy Bermuda.

Last year there were a couple of families with kids on board (and I think the may have been younger than your grand kids) I can say that the pool wasn't crowded (good thing for kids). They seemed pretty happy when ever we saw them. The other poster was correct in that docking in Hamilton puts you about 2 blocks from the central bus station which makes hopping around the island easy.....you can buy passes that are good for 3 days with unlimited use of buses and ferries. I would check out the website for the buses just to make sure nothing has changed recently...... Enjoy Bermuda - I love it there.

Just recently home after a week on the Veendam. I'm surprised at the many recommendations for this ship. Yes she small and less crowded but she is also tired and worn and seems quite out of date compared to the other ships we have cruised

The worst crime however was the cafeteria quality food in the Lido. Rotterdam was better but not outstanding

Veendam was not my best cruise experience - sorry to say

Go for the Veendam. It's a wonderful trip and the ship is fine. A classy, older lady is how I viewed her. She is not new and some things could use a nip and tuck but she is still graceful and proud.

As others said, docking in Hamilton is far superior for getting around Bermuda. I sailed NCL a few years ago and docked at the naval yard; we still had a wonderful time but getting around the island takes a lot longer from there, esp by bus/taxi. Also, it gets very crowded there is several large ships are there on any given day.

HAL gives you an extra night in BDA as well...that alone is well worth it.

And if you are really lucky, the fabulous Captain Card {Topsham on CC} may be on board to delight you with his tales of sea travel.

I'd ask the kids what features they'd enjoy. I sailed the Veendam to BDA right when schools got out in June. The 15-20 real youngsters kind of occupied the pool on sea days. There might have been about 10-15 high school age kids that mostly hung together on the back by the hot tubs. Not really much for them to do unless your grandchildren are quieter children who like to read, maybe play board games, or spend time on the internet, but I agree about Hamilton being more central for activities ashore.

Hopefully someone who has done that cruise with kids will chime in.

I am too biased with Bermuda...of course. :)

Personally... and never mind the VEENDAM. For a cruise to Bermuda... go for the VEENDAM just because is the better port option. Monday Noon to Thursday Noon. Three evenings in port. Two full days. Two half days. It all adds up to a much better Bermuda cruise. Hamilton is central... east to St George and then out to the west end. Beach as closer to Hamilton... Elbow Beach is ten minutes by taxi. Horseshore is twenty minutes. Even is a touch closer than the ships at Dockyard.

There are usually mega ships up at Dockyard. It looks too busy. By all means a visit up to Dockyard and the sights especially with the Maritime Museum.

At the end of the day.... VEENDAM is Location, Location, Location!

As for the ship... well, I'd go to VEENDAM too! :D

Stephen

Get A guide book before going and read it with them. Best would be one by DK as it has lots of color pictures. It might have a section: Traveling with kids. Living is different on an island; St. George is full of history, have lunch somewhere that has fresh local fish, go up the lighthouse, go to the sea glass beach (secret), behind the convicts cemetery near Dockyard! (on the busline).