Any experience renting a passenger van?

laurliz41

I'm trying to figure out my best option for a group of 9 adults leaving out of Port Canaveral. Right now I've narrowed my options down to either booking one of the fly, snooze, cruise packages for my group or renting an Airbnb and renting a large van to drive to the port. I'd prefer to have a rental car if we end up on an early flight the day before the cruise. So my question is, has anyone rented a 12 passenger van? If so, would we have trouble fitting 9 passengers and 9 passengers-worth of luggage in there if we end up stacking some luggage on the unused seats? I'm trying to research this but there seem to be endless configurations as far as seating and luggage space goes for these types of vehicles, so I'm wondering if anyone had any experience specifically renting one from one of the major car rental companies. The websites all seem to say 5 pieces of luggage, but my assumption is that this number is based on 12 passengers.

I don't have experience with a 12 passenger van, but in general they're really tight, and the 12 passengers is including any middle seats.

My advice is to call up a local rental location and ask if you can scout out their vans, for the most part they'll have the same make/model. Your other option is to just rent two vehicles.

A shuttle service would be my choice if we were going directly from airport to the ship (we will likely take a shuttle from the ship back to the airport going home), but we would possibly be in orlando for a full day before the cruise and would like to be able to have the option to easily leave to eat or do something besides stay at a basic hotel all of that day which is why I'm leaning away from the fly, snooze, cruise packages.

I think I might take KnightsFan's advice and rent 2 SUVs, as I have just found a decent rate on a couple, which were not coming up in my searches before. Seems that an Airbnb near orlando, the 2 SUVs and a shuttle back to the airport might end up with a total cost close to one of those packages anyway and it would be more convenient for us! Thanks for the responses!

Shuttle would work best...but if you really want a car...consider renting two mini-vans or one mini and one SUV.... not a passenger van...a big difference ;)

I agree with the mini van over the SUV. They are much larger than SUVs unless you rent one with the third row which will eat up your luggage space unless it is a Expedition, Yukon, Suburban, etc.

I have a Cadillac with the third row and it has zero space for luggage.

I thought of 3 smaller cars as well. 3 smaller cars vs. 2 SUVs/minivans is pretty close in price especially since we will be dividing up the cost of this. Now that I am off the idea of a passenger van though: I have a ford escape, my parents have a minivan and a ford focus so I might head over to their house this weekend and see how many pieces of luggage fit in each and then figure out what to rent from there :D

Edited by laurliz41
clarity

I ended up booking two minivans. The thought occurred to me that most minivans have at least one row of seats that fold fairly flat to get some storage space, unlike the somewhat older minivans my parents have had, where you need to actually take a row of seats out of the van to get decent luggage space.

Thanks for the advice all!:D

Glad you got it sorted! What part of Orlando will you be staying in? I can give you some great restaurant recommendations, away from the International Drive/Disney area. See what Orlando's really like for the rest of us.