Need China Visa for Viking cruise - can I get it in LA?

Smbruner

Has anyone ever gone to the Chinese Consulate in Los Angeles in person to get their Visa to go to China?

I'm a bit confused about sending out the paperwork to a company when I don't know all the particulars.

I know I need to wait until we have our flights and hotels assigned but then I'll be in a mad dash to get the Visa's.

We are due to depart on October 19, 2016 Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have gone to the PRC office in LA to get a visa several times. There is a posting on Yelp that provide detailed instructions and pictures. Follow the directions and you shouldn't have to many problems. It will take two trips if you don't use a service. We got our passport pictures at Costco but you can also get them at CVS. Now US citizens can get a 10 year visa or as long as your passport is valid (not sure if you can transfer the visa to a new passport). The link to yelp is"

http://www.yelp.com/biz/consulate-general-peoples-republic-of-china-los-angeles

If all your paperwork is in order it takes them less than a week to have your visa ready. Monday drop-off, pick-up Thurs or Friday. If available you can pay for expedited service and pick-up Wednesday.

If you're using a TA they should be able to provide the supporting documents you need now if your itinerary is set.

Good luck :)

Son just picked up his 10-year multiple entries visa yesterday from the LA Chinese Consulate. We went there last Friday for the initiate interview and were told ready for pick-up on Wednesday. There were a lot of people last Friday afternoon and we waited for two hours to turn in the paperwork. Once at the window to turn in the forms, it took like one minute and he was given a receipt to pick up his passport. I think it was probably due to the work week after a long weekend. The place was practically empty yesterday when we got there at around 1:30. The office close at 2:00PM. We have decided if we have to go there again, maybe go in an early afternoon, not on a Monday or Friday. Visa Division is at 500 Shatto Place, 3rd floor, L.A.

Fill out and print the form online and glue the passport photo on. Make copies of everything. Bring photo copy of your driver's license (must have), a copy of your plane tickets and itinerary. You pay for the visa when picking up your passport.

I have gone to the PRC office in LA to get a visa several times. There is a posting on Yelp that provide detailed instructions and pictures. Follow the directions and you shouldn't have to many problems. It will take two trips if you don't use a service. We got our passport pictures at Costco but you can also get them at CVS. Now US citizens can get a 10 year visa or as long as your passport is valid (not sure if you can transfer the visa to a new passport). The link to yelp is"

http://www.yelp.com/biz/consulate-general-peoples-republic-of-china-los-angeles

No you can't transfer it....I just got my renewed passport and in the pamphlet that came with it...it said if you had a current valid visa in the old one (I did for China) you must carry both old and new ones for travel. I believe you could possibly have the transfer done while in China but not sure I would take the time from my visit to accomplish this.

On the visa application, it mentions an invitation. We will be traveling to Shanghai on a cruise ship. Does the invoice and itinerary suffice as an invitation? Do we need documentation of the school we graduated from?

On the visa application, it mentions an invitation. We will be traveling to Shanghai on a cruise ship. Does the invoice and itinerary suffice as an invitation? Do we need documentation of the school we graduated from?

Your invoice/itinerary of the cruise should be good enough. No, you don't need documentation from your school. Make sure you bring a photo copy of your driver's license. We photo copied everything just in case they wanted it.

Thank you ROCruiser for your prompt reply and detailed information about going to the Consulate. We will be going next month with our applications after we get back our new passports.

You are welcome, and good luck! You probably will park on the street nearby. Bring some quarters with you to feed the meter.