Back from Carnival Magic July 9th, Never Again!

CalifGirl67

Later....a cruise is what you make it despite humps in the road like life....Royal is no better in certain aspects....go with them, all the more for others....Go on Disney and enjoy all the kids!

Hoping to be a Diamond Carnival member soon!

Sailing 8-14 on the valor to celebrate my 60th!

I've only ever traveled on Carnival and loved it. One of my party members for the next ceuise has only sailed on Celebrity. I'd like to thank the original poster for letting me know what to expect from that person, and everyone else's reply for ideas for what to answer. lol.

I've only ever traveled on Carnival and loved it. One of my party members for the next ceuise has only sailed on Celebrity. I'd like to thank the original poster for letting me know what to expect from that person, and everyone else's reply for ideas for what to answer. lol.

My parents have cruised mostly on Celebrity and a couple of Princess. A few years ago I took my mother on a Carnival cruise, and she loved it. She would let me know if she did not like it, but she loved every aspect of it. It was 6 years ago before some of the changes, but just saying that not everybody who has cruised other lines will end up hating Carnival. If they go into the cruise with realistic expectations, then they should not be disappointed.

We haven't cruised Carnival yet.

Our first 5 cruises were all DCL and we loved all of them. However due to cost and itinerary last year we sailed on the Getaway (NCL). We realised it wouldn't be Disney, but went determined to be open minded and again we enjoyed it hugely. It wasn't really better or worse, just different - apart from the MDR which was terrible. However we had the dining package as a booking perk, so that didn't matter. We would definitely sail on her again (with dining package). This time we have chosen the Magic due to itinerary and PC as the port (we are going to WDW first). We are really excited to explore a new ship and see some new ports.

We may well go back on DCL sometime but while their prices are so high and their itineraries so unchanging, we will try others and hopefully love them all!

Well I must say everyone is different. I'm 65, 45 cruises on Carnival, RCCL, Norwegian, Princess, HAL, Celebrity.. I've seen changes happen on all lines since we started in the 80's. We cruise off season to avoid spring break but we go in the summer and spring. Each cruise has things that are always the same and then the other things depend in my opinion on the cruise director and how they set the tone. I've sailed all size ships in Europe, Caribbean , Alaska, Transatlantic and I can honestly say I have NEVER come back saying I had a terrible cruise. I was even on the Splendor Swine Flu cruise and had a great time. You make your own fun. Things happen and sometimes the room is too hot or the shower needs repair but I call, and its fixed immediately. Nothing is perfect and each cruise line has something its working to achieve. I personally think all the food is basically the same unless you want to be segregated to a special dining room on Celebrity. Not me I like meeting everyone. We have taken others on Carnival and they are nervous after reading reviews like this and then they return and say WOW we booked another cruise.

The Magic is near and dear to me. We sailed it in Europe and did the transatlantic. I love that ship and everyone was always great. If the CD is not doing their job then his staff will not be as good as other ships but it's the same with the piano bar......some are great and some not so great. So.... go back to the ship you like but try not to blame Carnival for things that others enjoy. You could just tell us that Carnival did not fit you!!! My dad 92 sails Carnival every year and couldn't have a better time!!!.

Lmao :p:p I just booked a B2B on Magic. Not worried!

Like the previous poster just said, if something doesn't work, call housekeeping or guest services and they'll fix it for you or make it right somehow. I just got 15% off of one of the cruises I just booked- I completely forgot I had that credit. It's from when Fantasy had no AC in the V Cabins (suites). No, it wasn't exactly great to have a giant fan that reminded me of a jet propulsion system blasting in the cabin but we laughed at it- it was absurd. We got OBC, some other things I now forget, and this 15% off the next booking. C'est la vie. You roll with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on most of the lines. Sadly, I think they are all declining. I've never seen a lot of difference in Royal and Carnival, except that Royal seems to have a slightly older crowd, and it's a little quieter. If I have a choice between the two, price usually makes the decision. I think you just have to decide that being on a cruise is an awesome blessing, and to enjoy it no matter what (except for bedbugs...eww). Anyway, I don't think it's just Carnival that's "slipping."

• 2 weeks later...

Quite sad to read this - although we have never been on Magic (I'm looking to go at Christmas) we've just returned from our second carnival cruise and also went on Anthem of the seas in March for a friends wedding , we much preferred the older carnival ship to the Royal caribbeans . We love carnivals friendly staff that makes my cruise for me being surrounded by happy people . The Royal Caribbean staff were bullied by their managers and not allowed to interact with us , it ruined our cruise .

Hoping to test out magic soon

for never going on a ship again is crazy!! if that was the case in everything I guess we would all be sitting home in bed with the covers pulled over our heads!! so what if you didn't like something on this cruise who says you won't on the next? or if it would happen on another cruise line?? Never is a long time and I hope it doesn't bite you in the butt. I take it as it goes. I didn't us to be this way but since my husband passed away in 2013 he was 56 so life is too short to worry about little things that happen on a cruise ship. there are a hell of a lot other problems going on in this world that will never change so getting caught up in such pettiness is pathetic. enjoy life take your cruise that is bad and change it up to make it the best one you ever had. Life is Too Short so live your life to the fullest!!:)

Worst cruise ever on royal.... check

Worst cruise ever on carnival .... checkl

Quote:

And lastly, I didn't come on here for your sympathy or for any other reason other then to just simply post my thoughts on my cruise on the Magic. I will say that from now on I will NOT post anything in cruise critic ever again about my thoughts on a cruise whether good or bad because you people that flamed me are just to rude, and frankly its not worth my time. From the attitudes of people on this board, I would never recommend cruise critic to anyone again like I have in the past. I use to think this was a great site to learn about cruise ships,ports etc without all the "attitude" but I now see I was wrong. So with that being said I am done with this and my post, Buh Bye!

Worst experience on Cruise Critic..... Check

Bucket list stuff folks!

:p

Ahhhhhahahahahahahaha! You Sir/Madam, win the internets!

My husband and I make a joke of reviews like this. We've stayed in some gorgeous hotels over the years and maybe we will find a piece of grout in the corner of a tub that is a tiny bit brown instead of white. Then we will laugh and say "OMG I'M TAKING A PICTURE OF THIS AND PUTTING IT ON TRIP ADVISOR!!!!"

/endrant

The trip advisor comment comes after I just got here from reading reviews of an excursion. There are like 8 reviews in a row about how wonderful the place and food and drinks were, except in the middle there is one about how it was the worst place and not to go there as it will ruin your view of all Caribbean beaches. And it appears they were all from the same day.

Think this proves one thing I truly believe, you get back what you send out.

The trip advisor comment comes after I just got here from reading reviews of an excursion. There are like 8 reviews in a row about how wonderful the place and food and drinks were, except in the middle there is one about how it was the worst place and not to go there as it will ruin your view of all Caribbean beaches. And it appears they were all from the same day.

Think this proves one thing I truly believe, you get back what you send out.

Agree!! And it's funny how those reviews always exist somewhere in the middle of everyone else raving about the opposite (i.e. "Cleanest hotel I ever stayed in!")

It's like people look for things just to be spiteful. (Or possibly work for the competition :eek:)

Edited by WorkerBee74

She says it holds 4500 people, maybe she meant with crew, cause the stats says 3,646. I think the only way it could've gotten bed bugs is maybe she brought them with her. After reading her complaints never heard so much complaining maybe people like this should just be banned from going on cruises

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I get everything is subjective but I'm shocked at the unfriendly staff comment. Not saying it isn't true but it is shocking. We got married on a carnival cruise last year and family stayed for the wedding but didn't sail. Now a year later my parents and grandparents are cruising with us and I've heard my grandmother say "ooo I hope (insert various staff members that worked at our wedding) is there". They made that much of an impression on her in like 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. Yes I do believe they had bed bugs in my room because I itched every night and then ended up with a bite that wasn't there before going to bed.

Just for clarification... in your original post you suggest that, because you believed there was bed bugs, Carnival isn't "very clean". Bed bugs don't get there because of a lack of cleanliness. They get there because someone brings them on the ship from there home or previous hotel or in their luggage. The room can be perfectly clean. If the people that stayed in your cabin before you brought them in, then they would be there! Until it gets a bit worse, it is very difficult to detect. Oh, another possiblity, did you stay in a hotel the night before your cruise? If so, you may have brought them in. Did you bring them home? Many times if there is bed bugs in a room, they come home with you in your luggage.

The first thing I do when I enter a room is look for signs of bed bugs on the bed and in the corners of any carpet, etc... just google "how to look for bed bugs" and it will show you what to look for and where to look.

Sorry I confused you Jimbo, I guess my wording was not that good. WHat I meant to say was. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the made to order omelettes as well as the small eateries such as Guy's Burgers etc. I also said the deli and dessert bar food was good and what I ate of the buffet, the rest was lousy. Please read!

You also didn't read correct info, it says "Best Port" not "Best Part".

And to answer your question, on Royal the buffets are all open at the same time not half open part of the time! And on Royal the serenity deck has its own bar,pools,jacuzzi and an area all its own. On magic its just a couple jacuzzi's and chairs/hammocks. A joke in my opinion.

If you like Carnival, thats ok.... I don't!

A lot of americans think because something costs more it has to be better. You went on this cruise with your mind made up that Royal was better because it costs more. Plenty of people make this mistake.

Savvy cruisers know there is very little difference between the lines. Be it RCCL Carnival HAL Princess. Carnival has the perception of a budget line, but again very little difference between any of these lines.

Carnival's prices are lower because they haven't gone into debt rapidly building new ships like RCCL, and have several vessels that are paid for, and all they do is make money.

I have sailed on all these lines, and worked on a cruise ship. I've worked in some of the finest restaurants for the past 15 years as well. My impression is carnival is by far the best deal for the money, and it's not close.

There's something I liked about every cruise I've taken, and no Line is perfect, and no cruise is as bad as you claimed this one to be. Enjoy Rccl and paying almost double in cost.

A lot of americans think because something costs more it has to be better. You went on this cruise with your mind made up that Royal was better because it costs more. Plenty of people make this mistake.

Savvy cruisers know there is very little difference between the lines. Be it RCCL Carnival HAL Princess. Carnival has the perception of a budget line, but again very little difference between any of these lines.

Carnival's prices are lower because they haven't gone into debt rapidly building new ships like RCCL, and have several vessels that are paid for, and all they do is make money.

I have sailed on all these lines, and worked on a cruise ship. I've worked in some of the finest restaurants for the past 15 years as well. My impression is carnival is by far the best deal for the money, and it's not close.

There's something I liked about every cruise I've taken, and no Line is perfect, and no cruise is as bad as you claimed this one to be. Enjoy Rccl and paying almost double in cost.

While I respect with a lot of your opinions with respect to cruising, I take issue with your opening sentence.

I don't think the notion that something cost more is a strictly an American trait. And as an American, I feel comfortable saying that when anything is able to command a price premium over time, it indicates that is in fact "worth more" to a majority of consumers. Worth more may not equal better in all cases, but that is the conclusion of the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I respect with a lot of your opinions with respect to cruising, I take issue with your opening sentence.

I don't think the notion that something cost more is a strictly an American trait. And as an American, I feel comfortable saying that when anything is able to command a price premium over time, it indicates that is in fact "worth more" to a majority of consumers. Worth more may not equal better in all cases, but that is the conclusion of the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure there's actual research to back up the fact that people have a great deal of confirmation bias about more expensive items being "better" whether it's objectively true or not.

I figured that out the first time I bought one of those dumb Dyson vacuums. ;)