Cautionary tale about HAL and insurance

LDVinNC

In addition to insuremytrip.com I also use squaremouth.com Both offer policies that cover all eventualities. You just pay depending on which you choose to cover.

And the link to the OP is anyone is on a mobile and can't c & p that one is http://elliott.org/thats-ridiculous-2/the-secret-rule-about-insurance-your-cruise-line-doesnt-want-you-to-know/#more-50495

Re: Medicare. The travel insurance industry tells us that Medicare will not cover out of USA. This is true for regular medical coverage. However, you should check your policy since many will cover emergencies and some even urgent care. I think it's a bit of a scam when we are told Medicare won't cover - check it out.

We tend to take trips that exceed the credit card 60 days and top $$ coverage, though I will use it for smaller trips. I'm going to check into the annual policies for trip cancellation, but the ones I see still limit to shorter and less expensive trips.

I suggest insuremytrip dot com or tripinsurancestore dot com, both favorites of lots of folks on these boards. You might want to call them to discuss your needs after looking at the websites.

I don't agree with your contention that evac coverage may not be necessary on a TA - what if you are in London, Rome, wherever, and have a problem and need to be transported home?

Absolutely. That is why I used the word "may." In our case, on the forthcoming TA trip, we do have evacuation and repatriation insurance, which we wisely bought through the TA at the time we booked.

Re: Medicare. The travel insurance industry tells us that Medicare will not cov

We tend to take trips that exceed the credit card 60 days and top $$ coverage, though I will use it for smaller trips. I'm going to check into the annual policies for trip cancellation, but the ones I see still limit to shorter and less expensive trips.

I am not familiar with annual policies for trip cancellation. Please direct me. Thanks.

The real gem in that article is about when to cancel one person without incurring an extra charge for the remaining passenger (single supplement).

It is well documented and agonized that cancelling one person early will result in loss of fare for that one person and then charging the full single supplement to the remaining passenger.

This article pulls back the veil and details how to cancel one person without incurring the additional charge.

It is legal.

It is not deceptive.

It works (personal experience).

It allows the passenger to participate in the fare game that the cruise lines play to enhance (abuse) their revenue.

It is played out over and over across all cruise lines.