Unusual Security Delay? 7-18 Enchantment Miami

Standing out n the heat waiting to enter terminal. Security delay is the reason given. Any one heard anything?

Vicki,

Enjoy enchantment. Hopefully you are on board now. Without knowing anything myself, perhaps we will never know. Let us know if you hear anything on your end. Hope to sail with you again someday.

A few years ago we were held back from embarking Freedom of the Seas for about an hour. We were told that not all of the passengers had gotten off the ship and this was holding everything up. Perhaps that is what is going on.

• 3 weeks later...
It sounds like someone had something not allowed in their bag. Everyone that was on the ship has to get off to get re-screened. All operations were halted - luggage, boarding, everything. We just saw a search dog brought in also.

We were on this cruise and were some of the first passengers to board. We had just ordered our first drink and kids were eating ice cream when an announcement said we all had to leave again. As we exited we heard the staff walkie talkies saying that 55 people had already boarded and that 50 of us were accounted for and back waiting by the security check. So we were corralled there and the place all of a sudden had a heavy security presence, Coast Guard with guns, dogs, Miami sheriff I think, lots of police.

We asked what was happening and we were told that there was one person who had boarded the ship and he "knows exactly what this is about". The officer said as soon as he came out, we would all go through the x-ray machines again and could be on our way. Finally one last family came off the ship. They put us all back through security screenings and the police were talking to the dad who was with the family that was last off.

At the muster drill we were told that this man had disclosed at the security gate that he had a concealed carry permit and was allowed to board the ship with a gun. Apparently he was not allowed to be on a ship with a gun, permit or not, and was told that he could either surrender the fun to the officials and they would keep it locked up, and he could get it back when he returned OR he could miss his vacation.

I don't know if this is true or not, but it seemed plausible and the person relaying the info seemed to know alot of particulars, so I wondered if they knew the passenger and were traveling with them. I was really impressed with the security and the poise with which all the RCL staff and police officers carried themselves. I could see someone perhaps talking their way onto the ship and the security staff allowing him on but notifying the police for them to deal with it instead of perhaps angering the passenger and escalating the situation before the police could get there.

Anyway, it was a little excitement to start off the cruise. And the whole process only added about 45 minutes to the process. We had walked on with no lines around 10am so the extra time leaving was not a big deal.

Citymom, thanks for the whole story. Makes sense to me.

This thread is full of Texas neighbors! Richardson/Garland(me), Beach Bum Mom from Sachse and rhuntington from Plano. We are all right there together within just a very few miles of each other.

Whoops. He should have left his firearm at home.

I can't speak for every state and every person, but the training that most states require for concealed carry include many hours concerning local laws and the laws of other states, I highly doubt it was a concealed carry person trying to carry on board intentionally.

I can't speak for every state and every person, but the training that most states require for concealed carry include many hours concerning local laws and the laws of other states, I highly doubt it was a concealed carry person trying to carry on board intentionally.

You would think so Bill but not all concealed carry laws as well as the training are created equal. If he had a permit, it should be revoked for not passing the 'stupid' test.

You would think so Bill but not all concealed carry laws as well as the training are created equal. If he had a permit, it should be revoked for not passing the 'stupid' test.

Quite true Bill, I know they covered a lot of it here in Texas when I got my license. Hopefully it was not the license holder that caused the ruckus. But if it was, I still stand behind my statement he should have left it at home or if he came from out of state, had a secure place to leave while on the cruise.

In most, if not all, of the countries the ships go to, even possession of a spent shell casing is a felony crime. In some of those countries, wearing camouflage clothing is as well.

As more and more people get concealed weapons permits, it would be nice places offered secure storage as a service. In the case of going on a cruise, you could have it with you on the way to/from the port, but know its securely stored while you are on your vacation. Ports tend to not be located in the nicest parts of town.

You are probably right, a news report covered a story of people ordering their permits from other states and that state has a repriocity (sp) agreement with Ohio. Dumb!

As more and more people get concealed weapons permits, it would be nice places offered secure storage as a service. In the case of going on a cruise, you could have it with you on the way to/from the port, but know its securely stored while you are on your vacation. Ports tend to not be located in the nicest parts of town.

Do you need your gun with you at all times? Wow!

Do you need your gun with you at all times? Wow!

I never said I had a gun. However, having been shot at, there was one night I wished I had had one.

I simply said more and more people are obtaining concealed weapons permits and providing the service would allow people to carry their weapons with them to and from ports. Lets face it, ports are usually located in industrialized areas where crime tends to be higher.

I don't judge people who choose to arm themselves to protect against a perceived risk. I do however look for a way to accommodate their needs.

Edited by William234