Car Rental Anchorage

Nimbet

We would like to rent a car for our day in Anchorage. Do I need to reserve in advance or can I get one near the pier? Thank you.

We think it is a good idea. Lots of others will be booking. We booked in advance with Enterprise and took the HAL shuttle downtown then a short taxi ride to the agency (they would have picked us up but we didn't want to wait). They returned us to shuttle stop when we returned. Drove to Palmer and Wasilla. Not much to see except a huge Walmart in Wasila. Drove to Hatcher Pass for some beautiful scenery and also stopped at a few parks along the highway. A great tour of about 7 hours.

Dan

We would like to rent a car for our day in Anchorage. Do I need to reserve in advance or can I get one near the pier? Thank you.

You will most certainly want to reserve a car (no money down and keep watch for price drops)as soon as possible. We reserved one at Avis and also Enterprise, Downtown, very easy. We also took the free HAL shuttle, from the port, into town and walked a few blocks to get the car. We went all over the Seward Highway as far as Byron Glacier....loved the walk to see the glacier and we walked on it too. We also went on the ski lift for lunch at the top of Alyeska Lodge was so amazing in Girdwood!!! You can also go to Portage Glacier, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Girdwood. We did all that and more with our time in Anchorage port in our rental car. Reserve it now! :D Have an amazing cruise!!

I would definitely rent a car. We found the best price through Costco, ended up being about $200 for a mid size, for a day and a half.

We drove about an hour north of Palmer, spent the night at Majestic Valley, and did a three hour glacier trek with MICA guides. Hands down, highlight of the trip!

Am I confused ,,,, doesn't HAL dock in Seward for Anchorage? It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Seward to Anchorage.

When we stayed 3 days in Anchorage before our land tour we rented from Budget. Had unlimited mileage and a good rate.

Am I confused ,,,, doesn't HAL dock in Seward for Anchorage? It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Seward to Anchorage.

When we stayed 3 days in Anchorage before our land tour we rented from Budget. Had unlimited mileage and a good rate.

The Maasdam (at least) docks in Anchorage on the 14-day round trip from Seattle.

All one way cruises embark in either Whittier or Seward,

Roy

They also offer a 14 day cruise that does indeed dock in Anchorage. We were on it last month. The Ship was the Maasdam. Strongly suggest this cruise as it was Amazing!

Edited by freestyling

Thanks for the info about docking in Anchorage ... good to know :D We loved Anchorage and the surrounding area which we enjoyed with our rental car.

The Native American Heritage Center was a very worthwhile place.

http://www.alaskanative.net/en/main-nav/plan-your-visit/the-experience/

We also enjoyed Lake Hood which can have up to 300 float plane take-offs and landings a day.

We think it is a good idea. Lots of others will be booking. We booked in advance with Enterprise and took the HAL shuttle downtown then a short taxi ride to the agency (they would have picked us up but we didn't want to wait). They returned us to shuttle stop when we returned. Drove to Palmer and Wasilla. Not much to see except a huge Walmart in Wasila. Drove to Hatcher Pass for some beautiful scenery and also stopped at a few parks along the highway. A great tour of about 7 hours.

Dan

Still figuring out how to respond to individuals and finally figured it out. Thank you, I now have a car reserved.

You will most certainly want to reserve a car (no money down and keep watch for price drops)as soon as possible. We reserved one at Avis and also Enterprise, Downtown, very easy. We also took the free HAL shuttle, from the port, into town and walked a few blocks to get the car. We went all over the Seward Highway as far as Byron Glacier....loved the walk to see the glacier and we walked on it too. We also went on the ski lift for lunch at the top of Alyeska Lodge was so amazing in Girdwood!!! You can also go to Portage Glacier, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Girdwood. We did all that and more with our time in Anchorage port in our rental car. Reserve it now! :D Have an amazing cruise!!

Thank you, I have reserved one. Appreciate the other information.