3:00 flight out of SJU- any ideas for what to do beforehand?

rjm11

• 2 weeks later...
Rereading this thread again…..

How early should you be at SJU to get through security and the agriculture line?

I heard many horror stories about the agriculture line at SJU, but those were old posts. My first cruise out of San Juan returned on a Saturday and at the terminal where Southwest was, and there was no line.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like a great plan! Can you tell me which hotel you went to? Thanks

We have 4:30 flight today out. But seeing as it is below zero at home and 82* and sunny in San Juan - we just opted for the beach! (Saw forts before cruise). We just took cab to a hotel by the airport and on the beach and checked our bags with the bellman. This is awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I heard many horror stories about the agriculture line at SJU, but those were old posts. My first cruise out of San Juan returned on a Saturday and at the terminal where Southwest was, and there was no line.

We were just through there yesterday. Had heard of long lines so planned for that. We ended up walking right up to the agriculture machine, and only had to wait for 2 people in the security line. I am betting if we didn't plan the extra time there would have been a line. We were there just before noon on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help

We were just through there yesterday. Had heard of long lines so planned for that. We ended up walking right up to the agriculture machine, and only had to wait for 2 people in the security line. I am betting if we didn't plan the extra time there would have been a line. We were there just before noon on Sunday.

We did our first cruise out of San Juan in 2014 and in the year up to it, I heard of long agricultural security lines, but I haven't heard of any since then.

• 2 weeks later...

When were there last year the ag inspection line was not the issue. The security line was over an hour long. Sunday afternoons can be terrible. When I have traveled there for work during the week it has been much more reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If such things interest you and you have the time with El Yunque, there is a big outlet mall at Rio Grande, where the toll road ends on the way to El Yunque...

This is good to know because we are going in a couple days ahead of our Cruise just to see El Yunque. Do you know the name of the outlet mall?

• 3 weeks later...
This sounds like a great plan! Can you tell me which hotel you went to? Thanks

We just looked at map and chose the Courtyard by Marriot Isla Verde Beach Resort. It was right by the airport and the beach area was very nice! Restaurants and couches to relax in either in the sun or shade. There was a large restroom in the lobby that we changed before our flight and the bellman called us a cab when we were ready to leave.

I spent a few hours talking to a couple that were staying there, and they really enjoyed it, I would consider going back there and staying. The pool area was very nice, and we watched them setting up for a wedding there on the beach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you have a late flight try cabbing over to one of the SJ reports (i.e. Marriott; Hilton etc) and hang out at their beach bar. I expect most will let you check luggage with their bellman. They'll probably charge a nominal fee for that if you aren't staying there.

• 2 weeks later...

Like the beach? You might want to take a cab to the Isla Verde area near the airport there are many hotels and large public beaches. Google the hotels and call one to see if they would check your bags for the day and spend the day at the beach. You can rent chairs/umbrella, easy access to food and bathrooms. Another option for a beach is just past Isla Verde - a public park / beach with rest rooms and showers. It shouldn't be difficult to get a cab - or uber/lyft to the airport - about 5 minutes away.

Hope this helps.

Some of our group have a 1:30 flight out of San Juan on a Sunday. Should we give up any chance of doing something after getting off the ship? I'm not sure of the timing. Thanks for the input!

You would have to leave for the airport by 11:00am

So really depends when you get off the ship.

• 1 month later...
Take a taxi from the port (if at the Pan American pier) to Barrachina's they will store your luggage and then you'll have the rest of your time to wonder around Old San Juan or take the free trolly to the forts...this is so easy to do on your own...no need to pay for a tour...then taxi to SJU.

Just got back Saturday night and this was good advice for us, worked out great for our 3pm flight.

barrachina.jpg

YES! We have used Barrachina twice now. Even if not technically "open" for drinks or food, someone is there to take your suitcases. Tip nicely! They are great and there is a restroom for you to use as well.

Just got back Saturday night and this was good advice for us, worked out great for our 3pm flight.

barrachina.jpg