Half Moon Cay on the Pride

megann831

we were on Norwegian's Breakaway last year and wasn't impressed. I think I'd rather go back to a smaller ship. I did the Pride before it was redone about 2 years ago and liked it, so I'd like to give it another try and see all the improvements.

When we were on the Breakaway in November we had to skip Half Moon Cay, and apparently this happens often. Does the Pride often skip it? We'd be going next August so maybe the winds wouldn't be as strong

I believe Norwegian would go to its own private island, Great Stirrup Cay. Half Moon Cay is owned by Holland America which is owned by Carnival.

The reason ships miss the private islands is weather related. One one private island and one private beach have piers. Thus at both Great Stirrup Cay and Half Moon Cay passengers go to and from the islands via tender boats. If the ocean swells are too big, it is unsafe to move from the ship to the tender boats. That is the reason the ships miss the private islands.

So the Carnival Pride faces the same issues that Norwegian faces. If the weather is causing big swells, you will miss the island. Thus, don't choose by ship, but rather choose by time of year that has the best weather.

yes you're right, it was Great Stirrup Cay. Because the Pride is smaller and I believe the weather would be calmer in August than in November, do you think it would be likely that we would have to skip Half Moon Cay?

yes you're right, it was Great Stirrup Cay. Because the Pride is smaller and I believe the weather would be calmer in August than in November, do you think it would be likely that we would have to skip Half Moon Cay?

Hurricane season runs from June through November. Thus August and September are in the middle of hurricane season. I would think your best bets are in March, April and May.

No way to predict the weather. Suggest time that works best for you and keep your fingers crossed.

You never know if you'll make it to the private islands. Not at all predictable.

One time we had booked Carnival Liberty because it stopped at Half Moon Cay but the itin got changed a few months before the cruise. Disappointed, but we went anyway and enjoyed the cruise.

Of the 3 private islands I've been to (NCL Great Stirrup Cay, Princess Cay, and Half Moon Cay) HMC is by far the most beautiful. Huge perfect sand beach with perfect ocean. Got some great pics of Miracle from the beach! the only improvement would be a dock so you don't have to tender!

Edited by mizLORInj