Blog - Crystal Mozart July 23 Sailing

claudiaYVR

We've booked on the same excursion. I looked at the pictures of the kind of e-bikes used, and they seem high - even with the adjustable seat. They are not the newer high-handle bar versions of e-bikes.

I was under the impression that they were going to be the 'commuter' style e-bikes (similar to my own non electric assisted one) but they appear to be more like mountain bikes, which I'm sure must be quite heavy too. I had two of the cycling excursions booked but have now taken them out as I'm not confident on mountain style bikes - not sure my back would survive 48kms, some on rough terrain, on one of those. I will give them a try though when I have spare time in a port somewhere along the way...

Is this what you thought they would be similar to (this is the non e version I ride at home)...What date are you sailing???

Anne...

image.jpg.53938adbafad44aaa369a1ecc22fcd0f.jpg

Edited by Jayayeff

I was under the impression that they were going to be the 'commuter' style e-bikes (similar to my own non electric assisted one) but they appear to be more like mountain bikes, which I'm sure must be quite heavy too. I had two of the cycling excursions booked but have now taken them out as I'm not confident on mountain style bikes - not sure my back would survive 48kms, some on rough terrain, on one of those. I will give them a try though when I have spare time in a port somewhere along the way...

Is this what you thought they would be similar to (this is the non e version I ride at home)...What date are you sailing???

Anne...

Hi Anne,

The bikes are heavy, make sure to ask for assistance when needed, for example pushing or hoisting the bike up a few steps from the docks.

Having said that, once the seat is adjusted to the proper height, the ride is really comfortable. Try the bikes early on so you can judge for yourself and decide if you want to do one of the excursions, I'd suggest that the one in Bratislava is quite doable for anyone who's reasonably fit. The bikes have five different assist settings, from Eco to Turbo which really makes it easy to get through the 40 kms.

Also make sure to pick the bike size right for you (I'm 5'2" and rode a small one).

TIP: baskets are provided with the bikes and that's where people put the water bottles, small daybags, etc. The problem is that if there's a bump on the road (and there are plenty), the water bottles go flying out of the basket. I'd recommend taking a small bungee cord to keep things in the basket.

Hi all,

I've just completed my blog with an entry on final thoughts and conclusions. I hope you've all enjoyed it and if I haven't answered any specific questions anyone had, please do not hesitate to ask again. I tried to stay on top but was having too much fun to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Safe cruising to all,

http://claudiayvrmozartdanube.blogspot.ca/

Edited by claudiaYVR
added link

Thanks again Claudia for all the CC posts and for keeping your blog of the trip. I’ve just read through your wrap-up and have to admit that after my disappointment at having to pull out of the cycling excursions, due in part to my lack of confidence on the kind of bikes they now have, the news about the champagne boat rides on the Wider not materializing on your cruise, and finding they are not now going to be as originally promoted is a further disappointment. However, if we’d have believed everything that was trumpeted over the past 7 or 8 months I guess we’d all be in seventh heaven!!! It will be interesting to see whether, or how, the experience changes as we progress through the current season and I will try to keep a similar record of my cruise in a few weeks…

A final couple of questions – again referring back to pre-inaugural releases – were there any evening events held on the sun deck?? I quote “pop-up bar and vanishing movie screen’, ‘set the scene for celebrations under the stars’. Also, I know you mentioned that the dress code in the evenings was definitely dumbed down compared to S and S – how far down?? Whilst over dressed is better than under dressed I don’t really want to be taking ‘smart’ clothes and then feeling they are too dressy and leaving them in the wardrobe. It would appear that the Bistro is the only alternative to the main dining room in the evening, are the offerings the same as on S and S, i.e. cheese, cold cuts, etc. or something else? Finally (I think) was the Vintage Room offered on your itinerary? Not something I would do on a fairly short port intensive river cruise, I’m just curious as to whether it is actually being used in the same format as the ocean ships or not. Personally I would have preferred the original use for this venue that I read somewhere, i.e. a wine bar with tapas style small plate dishes - that would have made a nice break from the dining room for an odd evening or two!!!...

Anne..

There was mention in the original marketing articles about Segways along side the power bicycles. I take it there are no Segways as yet given I have not seen mention of this.

Thanks of all your input so far as the forum's roving reporter!

There was mention in the original marketing articles about Segways along side the power bicycles. I take it there are no Segways as yet given I have not seen mention of this.

Thanks of all your input so far as the forum's roving reporter!

No segways and no mention of them either.

Reporting from Vancouver, this is claudiayvr.... :)

Thanks again Claudia for all the CC posts and for keeping your blog of the trip. I’ve just read through your wrap-up and have to admit that after my disappointment at having to pull out of the cycling excursions, due in part to my lack of confidence on the kind of bikes they now have, the news about the champagne boat rides on the Wider not materializing on your cruise, and finding they are not now going to be as originally promoted is a further disappointment. However, if we’d have believed everything that was trumpeted over the past 7 or 8 months I guess we’d all be in seventh heaven!!! It will be interesting to see whether, or how, the experience changes as we progress through the current season and I will try to keep a similar record of my cruise in a few weeks…

A final couple of questions – again referring back to pre-inaugural releases – were there any evening events held on the sun deck?? I quote “pop-up bar and vanishing movie screen’, ‘set the scene for celebrations under the stars’. Also, I know you mentioned that the dress code in the evenings was definitely dumbed down compared to S and S – how far down?? Whilst over dressed is better than under dressed I don’t really want to be taking ‘smart’ clothes and then feeling they are too dressy and leaving them in the wardrobe. It would appear that the Bistro is the only alternative to the main dining room in the evening, are the offerings the same as on S and S, i.e. cheese, cold cuts, etc. or something else? Finally (I think) was the Vintage Room offered on your itinerary? Not something I would do on a fairly short port intensive river cruise, I’m just curious as to whether it is actually being used in the same format as the ocean ships or not. Personally I would have preferred the original use for this venue that I read somewhere, i.e. a wine bar with tapas style small plate dishes - that would have made a nice break from the dining room for an odd evening or two!!!...

Anne..

No events on the sun deck and while the tv (affixed to the back of the pop-up bar) works and was on at various times showing things like car races, I was told it is not hooked up for movies yet but would be soon.

Dress code is lame except for the special evening events off the ship when mostly all participants dressed up nicely, including jackets for men and cocktail dresses for the girls, but a bit all over the map in general. Definitely more casual than the Crystal casual on S & S but not offensive. Hardly anyone wearing cocktail dresses or high heels at night, for example. I took one long (but very simple) black dress for the event at the Belvedere and I was the only one wearing a long dress. I'll see if I have a few pictures of people in the evening that I can post for you in a bit.

The Bistro has a small menu in the evenings but it never appealed much to us and thus ended up having dinner at Waterside every night. There are also the usual cold cuts, cheese, lox, sweets, etc throughout the day and an endless supply of Portuguese Egg Tarts :) Just imagine S & S with fewer items and a couple of local staples like the big pretzels. I have a couple of pictures of the usual offerings which I'll post using Tapatalk.

The Vintage Room was offered (we declined) and apparently there was one held but I have no info on it. My understanding is that it's the same as on S & S. The room looks beautiful. I agree with you, tapas bar style dining either at Blue or the Bistro would be great but I don't think is in the cards.

Thanks for posting Claudia. It sure does not look like the S or S. Just from your photos looks like airline lounge food.

Miles, I get what you're saying but I can tell you that it is more a matter of variety (or lack thereof) and not quality. For example, there are only two or three cheeses and two or three deli meats, two or three types of breads or crackers, etc., but they are excellent and much better than any airport lounge I've been to :) It also varies a bit throughout the day.

• 1 month later...
Hi Claudia,

We leave on Wednesday for our Mozart cruise on Thursday. I'm debating about whether or not I need to take my travel hairdryer. So how powerful are the hairdryers on board?

Thanks,

Jennifer

I'm not Claudia but I got back from the Mozart earlier this week and I wasn't sure about the hairdryers either so took my trave one - didn't use it, I used the one in the bathroom and found it adequate. I also have a blog (somewhere further down this page) and have already posted pics there of the bathroom with vanity area which shows the hairdryer...

Anne...