Blog - Crystal Mozart July 23 Sailing

claudiaYVR

We have three river cruises planned all with Crystal.

Many of our friends have taken river cruises and all have told us that it really is an entirely different experience than Ocean Ships. I guess that is part of what excites us. Obviously some of the differences are simply that when you get off the ship often you are right there or close to sites other than on an ocean cruise where you often have to drive distances to get to sites. We expect that the entertainment in the evening will be more low key than what we would have on an ocean cruise ship such as the size of Serenity or Symphony. i am reminded that when we sailed on the Seabourn 200 passengers triplets that a lot of the evening revolved around enjoying pre dinner drinks with fellow passenger that only met during the voyage and a leisurely dinner with often a husband and wife pianist and singer and maybe a comedian on one or two nights.

For us the driver is the itinerary as we will see places that you don't see on Ocean Voyages and prefer to do it on a river vessel rather than on a land trip where often you have to unpack and pack every day or two.

Keith

Keith, land trips can be wonderful if you do it the right way and do it top notch. No packing jackets and tux's and we stay for more than two or three days in top notch hotels and resorts. Land trips can give you the time to explore when you won't have the time on a cruise ship. We like to mix up our travel between cruising and land trips but we know how to do it right. When we do land trips we make it just like a Crystal experience or even more so.

Packing and unpacking on a land trip does not bother us as we are experts at doing this and takes all of 30 minutes with large suitcases and can be gone for almost two months. Nice clothes but no formal wear required.

We are doing almost a month in Africa at "Exclusive Camps" with our TA that most have not heard about with real private air charters just the four of us. Dan is having a milestone birthday and I pulled all the stops out.

As for the behavior in Africa who did the African overland on Crystal and I just read on a private site and I don't know who it was but I was shocked to read what happened and the comments that were made. Very disappointing.

I will post the alleged situation on another thread later. I again don't know who they were but they were on a Crystal overland. Embarrassing.

Made it to Vienna! Blog updated to our arrival at the pier, will post some more probably tomorrow night or next day. The Mozart is really gorgeous.

A few quick answers:

1. Closet is smaller than on the S & S. About half the space for full length hanging bar, and half bar over top of the three drawers which are bigger than on S & S. There is another drawer under the mini fridge and that's it for storage. Couples on longer itineraries may be challenged or need to get creative (like leaving things in the suitcases which fit under the bed).

2. Entertainment so far so good. Mark is doing a great job. We had him for pre-dinner and then there was an opera singer and a concert pianist who performed at 9:45. Very good quality show, Mark said there will be local entertainment shows and other special acts (like tonight's) throughout the cruise. He is of course doing the Cove before dinner and after the shows. No shortage of entertainment for sure.

3. Food fabulous so far.

4. Fixed window cabin (W) does not feel dark or claustrophobic. We are on the port side and the pier wall is about 2.5 ft from the side of the ship and goes up to the top of the window so we can't see anything. I will keep track of how many times we are facing the wall and how may the water side..

Going to bed now.

Hi, Claudia,

I'm enjoying your blog!

Great news about the entertainment! It sounds like there will be a nice variety each night!

Thanks for reporting on the storage situation. It looks like we can't pack as heavy as we usually do. Hopefully the laundry facilities will be readily available.

Enjoy your voyage! I am sure it will be as lovely as you have been anticipating!

Rhonda

Made it to Vienna! Blog updated to our arrival at the pier, will post some more probably tomorrow night or next day. The Mozart is really gorgeous.

A few quick answers:

1. Closet is smaller than on the S & S. About half the space for full length hanging bar, and half bar over top of the three drawers which are bigger than on S & S. There is another drawer under the mini fridge and that's it for storage. Couples on longer itineraries may be challenged or need to get creative (like leaving things in the suitcases which fit under the bed).

2. Entertainment so far so good. Mark is doing a great job. We had him for pre-dinner and then there was an opera singer and a concert pianist who performed at 9:45. Very good quality show, Mark said there will be local entertainment shows and other special acts (like tonight's) throughout the cruise. He is of course doing the Cove before dinner and after the shows. No shortage of entertainment for sure.

3. Food fabulous so far.

4. Fixed window cabin (W) does not feel dark or claustrophobic. We are on the port side and the pier wall is about 2.5 ft from the side of the ship and goes up to the top of the window so we can't see anything. I will keep track of how many times we are facing the wall and how may the water side..

Going to bed now.

Thanks for the additional info, all good news for me!!! (and as I travel solo the limited storage as compared to S and S should be no big deal for me)...

Following, and enjoying, your blog too...

Anne...

Thank you for the info.

Out of interest, when is dinner served from and to? And what time does Mark start his pre-dinner show?

Edited by JohnKen3

Thank you for the info.

Out of interest, when is dinner served from and to? And what time does Mark start his pre-dinner show?

Dinner at the Bistro is served between 6:30 and 9:00 and at Waterside from 7 to 9.

Mark does his pre-dinner from 6:30 to 7:15 in Palm Court and after dinner at 9:30 at the Cove.

He's "promised" a Sound of Music sing-along one of these nights :)

Thanks for the photos focusing on the details, photos that Crystal would never published. These are exactly what we are interested in. The Sacher Wurstl look interesting.

Looks like wire hangers will be needed a must of us to fit all our clothes in as on the S and S.

Mark does his pre-dinner from 6:30 to 7:15 in Palm Court and after dinner at 9:30 at the Cove.

He's "promised" a Sound of Music sing-along one of these nights :)

Please mention that "Elton John's Pool Boys from London" say hi. He knows John and Ken. You all need insist that he wears a shirt made from window curtain material to give his Sound of Music set that extra touch of authenticity. :D

Edited by JohnKen3

Thanks for the food photos - I like the look of the flat bread 'pizza' and the wurzt and pretzel. Think I may have to step up my exercise and diet regimes over the next five weeks so I can indulge and still fit in my clothes whilst I'm onboard....

Will Blue be open at all in the evenings, and if so is it the same menu??? I seem to recall talk of it serving tapas style dishes in the evenings similar to Tastes on Serenity???

One other question - do you know anything about the small boats and the champagne rides for guests at some time during the cruise???

Thanks

Anne..

Thanks for all the photos! It is such a treat to find each of your postings on CC and your blog! :)

The storage situation will be challenging, but it is good to know the specifics in advance so that we can plan accordingly. Based on the cabin floor plans, it appears that the PH cabins add more floor space, but not really much more storage. It looks like most of us will be challenged for storage space.

Thanks for the photos of Blue's menu and food. It will be a very nice place for lunch and probably other meals.

Claudia you should work for Crystal the photos are great. This is what people here were looking for. Please take more when you can. The closet looks a bit small but I guess you can make it work for ten days.

Thank you so much for sharing.

It is a herb garden and is meant for regular harvesting for the kitchen use. Zero miles transportation so to speak.

Would like to see what happens over an Eastern Europrean winter period. I can report on its status on New Year's day!

Not sure if it will grow in this year given the kitchen will be trying to see how much it can harvest from it. Better luck next spring!

Today we woke up to almost total darkness as we were docked next to a Tauck ship. Yesterday we faced the river side.

Are the passengers having to walk through or over the Tauck boat to exit the Mozart? Sure looks like it. This is one reason where even the posh rooms at the top will not have a view from time to time.