guarantee cabins

steelhead1

"Let us choose for you" and guarantee are two separate things. If you pick the let us choose for you, they actually suggest a specific room for the price quoted, or you can pick your own specific room for either the price quoted or higher, depending on the location.

I believe guarantee is when you tell them you want a specific category cabin and they are not showing any current availability for that category. But I think they have empty rooms at a higher category and they're hedging their bets that they can fill them with passengers paying higher amounts. If they can't, they will then upgrade people and get more people to pay the cheaper amount for the lower categories.

Okay, if that's true (first quoted paragraph) then I really did not understand (second quoted paragraph makes perfect sense).

And if that's true, how exactly does one request a guarantee cabin? I thought it was via the "let us choose for you" option.

Okay, if that's true (first quoted paragraph) then I really did not understand (second quoted paragraph makes perfect sense).

And if that's true, how exactly does one request a guarantee cabin? I thought it was via the "let us choose for you" option.

There's no advantage in requesting a guarantee cabin instead of booking a specific cabin unless the a specific cabin is not available at the same price as the guarantee. I have not seen any evidence that someone with a guarantee is any more likely to be offered an upgrade or upsell than someone with a specific cabin.

Sometimes when you look at the cabin choices for a specific category, guarantee will be one of the options. Often it is not listed as an option - particularly if specific cabins at the lowest category are not listed as being available.

The "Choose for me" option is a bit confusing because it operates on two levels. It will select a cabin for you, if there are any to be selected, otherwise it reserves you a Guarantee cabin.

You can also select a Guarantee cabin category, where available. To do this you select the "I'll choose my own" option, then choose your preferred part of the ship. For each group of decks you may be given the option to select a specific cabin or to "Reserve" a cabin. If the ship is almost full you may only see the "Reserve" option. The colour of the little square at the left of the "Reserve" box indicates the cabin category you are guaranteed to get. The price will be the same as picking a cabin of that category. I was able to get a mid-ship cabin on a cruise that was almost sold out by choosing a "Reserve"

cabin.

Sometimes there is only the option to select a cabin, usually when there are plenty of cabins available in that part of the ship.

Princess doesn't automatically offer a lowest price guarantee cabin in the same manner that other cruise lines do.