What To Do In Costa Maya

cds62

I just found out that our cruise will now be stopping in Costa Maya due to the recent hurricane and damage in Cozumel. We have never been to Costa Maya and have not heard much about the island. What would be recommended to see and do for a family travelling with an 11 and 9 year olds. We were planning on going to Paradise Beach while in Cozumel, but sadly that will not be happening. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Our ship is also going there, but for us it's a scheduled stop, not an alternate to Cozumel, which we were supposed to go to. What cruise line are you on that you already know where you're going instead of Costa Maya?

Costa Maya has a pool right at the pier and you can go to the beach in Majahual, where you can jetski and snorkel off the beach. You could also go to the Mayan Ruins. David and Ivan have remarkable, positive info for this. This could be boring or interesting depending on your type of kids. I have an 11yo and a 15yo and know they would be bored.

Good luck.

Trust me when I say that you will enjoy Costa Maya more than any port you go to ... that is if you take a cab to Majahual and enjoy the laid back day they will provide. The swimmng is great ... the snorkleing is very cheap and you can get a massage for $20 ... for 30 mins. ... what a deal............. The food is wonderful and the beer is cheaper than any port you will go to. All I can say is just be glad you are going to such a great port. HAVE FUN :D

Would the beach at Majahual provide enough entertainment for our six and a half year old son? He doesn't require a lot of stuff, but we don't want to get too crowded, either.

Any other thoughts? As mentioned, Costa Maya is a scheduled stop for us, too.

If you would enjoy seeing Mayan Ruins, Chacchoben is nearby and the ship will probably offer a excursion to them, (about an hour drive away). We were told that the Costa Maya port stop was created because Chacchoben was nearby.

Here is a web site with great photos.

http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/feb2004.cfm

Costa Maya is a wonderful place. For your family I definately would say go to Chacchoben ruins. BUT I would not book through the ship. We went in June with David and Ivan. They are wonderful guides and the ruins are terrific. You can find info on the at http://www.Chacchobenruins.com. The price is great also. Well worth going with them. Ivan actually grew up just down the hill from one of the temples.

You can also sign up for a great "beach break" day that includes a grilled shrimp or lobster lunch etc.. I can't think of the name of the company now that offers it but folks who were not sick (like moi):( on the Miracle last year did this and loved it... I will find out the name of the company if anyone's interested or perhaps someone knows..???

Trust me on this one. If you have little kids, they will be bored stiff going to any Ruins. Take your group to Mahahual and while you relax under a palm tree and sip magaritas, your kids can play in the crystal-clear water in a tropical paradise. You can get a massage for $20. You can do some shopping.

Please do not stay at the pier and just swim at the pool. The pier area was created by the cruise companies and does not have an authentic feel. Mahahual is real Mexico. It is so cool. Don't miss it. ;)

If you would enjoy seeing Mayan Ruins, Chacchoben is nearby and the ship will probably offer a excursion to them, (about an hour drive away). We were told that the Costa Maya port stop was created because Chacchoben was nearby.

This is a great site and the port. We did this thru the ship, if we do it again we would book privately.

We liked this port better than Cozumel.

Beth

I have been looking for things to do as we are on a western caribbean next April, with Cozumel as a port of call. I am not sure if we will stop there now, but was checking into Costa Maya in case we go there instead.There is a website to check out: www.mayahualtours.com that might be helpful for some of you also facing the same situation.:) Jaxson

costa maya was actually my favorite port

we took a $3 cab to the beach w/ another family and enjoyed a relaxing day on the beach. there are restaurants with super cheap and super delicious food, there are atvs to ride, lil stands with less than pushy vendors, snorkeling, calm beach, cheap hair braiding and massages and its anything but crowded.

you'll love it.

You can also sign up for a great "beach break" day that includes a grilled shrimp or lobster lunch etc.. I can't think of the name of the company now that offers it but folks who were not sick (like moi):( on the Miracle last year did this and loved it... I will find out the name of the company if anyone's interested or perhaps someone knows..???

Please find out thanks!

I'm trying to find out a comparison between this beach break thru island marketing and the beach break thru carnival. Are they the same price? Also - it's open bar but the lobster and shrimp platter are not included (but not a bad price!) Thanks for the info. I think we'll be there on November 15 instead of Cozumel when we sail the Inspiration. I'm glad to hear it's a nice port - I just love Cozumel!

Any fun bars like Carlos and Charlies at this port?

Thanks so far for the info. Our cruise on 12/20/05 on the Vendam was changed to Costa Maya also. We have done the tours in the past so we never left the port. A friend told me about the town recently and I'm in. The down side is we will be there on Christmas Day. Don't know if it will be open. If not, that's OK too. All in all...it will be Christmas Day. I can always have one of my favorite lobster tails at the pier.

Good luck with the Beach Party Break with http://www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/ been trying for two days to make reservation but they dont respond.

Wow, that is odd! Check your spam folder... my reservation confirmation went there, as did many others.

We just did this on Friday... we had to arrange things quickly as our port just changed a few days before we left... we all had confirmations within 24 hours. This was a GREAT day! Weather was the pits, but service and drinks were great! Lunch was really good, the lobster was a little tough, but for $15 what can ya expect? ;) Everything else was fabulous! This was my 3rd time in CM and have loved it everytime, my 2nd favorite port behind Cozumel... the beach break was great!!!! We had a good size group and made the most out of a rainy day... and definitely got way more than our money's worth :D I would highly recommend it!!!!

What time were you in port? I just found out that my 12/4 Victory cruise is now going to Costa Maya instead of Cozumel and we're looking at the beach break party also. I just wondered how long the ship will be in port. We were supposed to be in Cozumel from 7 am to midnight.

Thanks for any information.

Michelle

What time were you in port? I just found out that my 12/4 Victory cruise is now going to Costa Maya instead of Cozumel and we're looking at the beach break party also. I just wondered how long the ship will be in port. We were supposed to be in Cozumel from 7 am to midnight.

Thanks for any information.

Michelle

I believe we were there from 9-5? Something like that... we headed over there as early as we could... came back with enough time for a dip in the pool and back on the ship with a few minutes to spare!!!! It was a great day!

Archived