Jewel and iConcierge

greg2014

• 5 weeks later...

Well the reviews I have read on the App are "iffy" at best. I am really hoping it will work when we go on the Jewel in November.

The one hint the Suite Concierge gave us was to download the App before you board or they will charge you $14 (or something) for the WiFi to download the App onboard.

Edited by suesings

Not tried the app to app calling

IConcierge works well for acess to information

The Jewel has completed its installation of enhanced Internet. The network upgrade occurred a few months ago and the installation of the cache server a few weeks ago. Speed is good.

See this Jewel review by fellow CC that just disembarked over the weekend - paragraph #5 - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50847112&postcount=1

iConcierge App itself has not been updated on the Android platform since last November (2015) while the iOS version, previously installed on my backup iPhone 5S, continued to connect and disconnect to NCL's WiFi system even though I am nowhere near a NCL ship. Otherwise, yes - most of the inTRAnet functions can be considered working.

You can use it to call land while at sea, VoIP (via WiFi) for a nominal fee - except, the other party might not hear you (but, you can hear them ... from our own experience on a different NCL ship, before the claimed "upgrade" with the faster inTERnet within the current NCL fleet, on the Breakaway) - as always, YMMV. SpeedNet is supposed to boost speed by 4X over previous speed via a combo of cache, compression & hardware - have seen very few solid "info" on how well it's actually working, FWIW.

Hopefully, results will be better by November. Yes, download and install it ahead of sailing, as noted on NCL's own link.

Edited by mking8288

I was in Jewel in early August and in our party 6 of us used it without issue. We had pre-downloaded it and used it often to text and call each other. I never once had an issue with messages/calls not going through, we found it handy for connecting around where we would each be.