Branded Sea Lion?

gpb11

Sorting through my photos and ran across one from our Kenai Fjords tour that shows what looks like a sea lion that's been branded with "E207" or "E107" -- the animal is in the shadows in the upper-right of the image.

Am I misunderstanding what I'm seeing? If not, I'm curious who does this and why?

160605-3139_DxO_zpsswmddnbm.jpg

This is just one example of why. They use branding to track for many reasons, from research, to tracking specific trouble-makers. We have a few in Monterey branded because they keep damaging property on the docks and may be aggressive to humans.

http://www.orcanetwork.org/marinemammals/sealionsightings.html

Edited by NoobCruise

Thanks, NoobCruise.

I honestly can't say I'm entirely on-board with branding to that degree, but presumably there are those involved with far more knowledgable of the effects.

• 7 years later...
On 7/24/2016 at 12:35 PM, gpb11 said:

Sorting through my photos and ran across one from our Kenai Fjords tour that shows what looks like a sea lion that's been branded with "E207" or "E107" -- the animal is in the shadows in the upper-right of the image.

Am I misunderstanding what I'm seeing? If not, I'm curious who does this and why?

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj574/gpb11/160605-3139_DxO_zpsswmddnbm.jpg

I have a photo of the same sea lion. Taken just a couple weeks ago on the Marine Mammals boat tour in Kenai Fyords. Ended up here looking for info about him/her just like you were. Did you ever find out anything?

DSC_0462.JPG

2 hours ago, RebekahJP said:

I have a photo of the same sea lion. Taken just a couple weeks ago on the Marine Mammals boat tour in Kenai Fyords. Ended up here looking for info about him/her just like you were. Did you ever find out anything?

DSC_0462.JPG

E107 is a male and was branded as a pup in 2007 at the Chiswell Islands, which are near Seward.  He’s 17 years old, which makes him a senior citizen in male sea lion years.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

E107 is a male and was branded as a pup in 2007 at the Chiswell Islands, which are near Seward.  He’s 17 years old, which makes him a senior citizen in male sea lion years.

Wow, thanks! That's interesting! How did you find that out? I couldn't track him down on Google.

8 hours ago, RebekahJP said:

Wow, thanks! That's interesting! How did you find that out? I couldn't track him down on Google.

I’m a marine biologist.  I worked on a similar project and knew where the data was. 😁

• Like 4