furious w/ RCCL...and cozumel....

mpffls

I have heard/read that Cozumel will nack on the itinerary as of Nov 14th we are crzin 12/17 on western carrib out of Miami and we also heard if it was NOT up the other port would possibly be Belize? FYI everything will be perfeact for your big day enjoy and keep planning!

YOAG

Sounds like your family could use a copy of this song. My grandmother was a Murphy, so "Murphy's Law" (if anything can go wrong--it will go wrong) always appies to any event our family plans. We've learned to focus on what kind of lemonade to make out of those lemons.

It could be worse. Your homes could be flooded or blown away. At least all you need to do is attend a wedding.

People tend to forget that a wedding is all about celebrating the commitment two people are making. Location should not be important. Worse case senario is a wedding on the cruiseship.

The last time I saw a couple married on a ship, everyone seemed to be having a fantastic time. It sure beats the kind of wedding we had--Reception at the Knights of Columbus Hall. Somehow fun people have fun no matter where it is. People still tell me how much fun they had at our wedding, so I guess the location didn't matter much because we've been married over 30 years and are still laughing about our wedding screwups.

Isn't it strange that people can laugh about everything that went wrong at their wedding?

The hotel they were planning the wedding at is gone too. :S
While it will be important to the OP, it is not pertinent to RCCL, nor should it be. It's no different than any other excursion not booked through the cruise company.

I'll warn again against using any info given informally. Trish made my point in that she asked for an idea, was given one and then was somewhat upset since the info she'd been given was wrong. Remember that many times we will know some of the specifics before those who you get on the phone, they can only relate what they truly know and even that is often subject to change and beyond their control.

All, I just received an email from my TA today that RCCL informed her that the new itinerary for the 11/21 Enchantment Cruise including Key West, Cozumel and Belize is NOW going to Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios. She is waiting for a call back tomorrow to confirm the exact route and whether Belize is now out. I guess this is not so bad. Does anyone have suggestions for excursions in Ochos Rios? It definitely was not one of our choices, but we will make the best of it. Grand Cayman, we understand, has great snorkeling and was on our list when we first were looking for destinations, so all good there.

Any thoughts for excursions in these ports would be appreciated.

Why don't you plan the ceremony on the ship? The important part of the ceremony is being all together to wish your daughter and her groom a happy life together. The place is something secondary as long as all your loved ones are around.

The ship could offer a beautiful surounding that could be remembered with a smile always.

I know this is not what you wanted, but in a way it will make the destination of the cruise an unimportant issue to deal right now.

Bordercollie2,

The original posters cruise sails out of Galveston Texas so I don't think she will be making those ports. There is a Ports of Call area on the CC Board that will give you tons of information on what people have done in the ports that you might be stopping at. I have found if you post a question there you will get direct answers for independent tour operators, and also information about the ships tours. I hope you have a great time.

mpffls,

We were on the back deck when we went through the Panama Canal. I am not sure how windy it would be if you were traveling at the ships normal speed. It is completely blocked by the deck so you would have protection closer to the spa. Just another thought, the Solarium is beautiful as well, maybe that might be another alternative. The bar area there could hold food etc, or even if you had the ceremony on the Sports Deck, you could come inside for the reception.

I will see if I have a picture of the Sports Deck. You might want to post on the main board that you are looking for pictures of the Solarium and the Sports Deck. If I can help you with any questions that you have about the Splendour please feel free to ask. I might have to dust off a couple of cobwebs though.

Desertgal,

If it was my daughter that was getting married, and I had planned well in advance to have a ceremony somewhere, only to have a hurricane blow the plans out of the water, I would be upset. I don't think the OP is looking for sympathy, only a place to vent her frustration and ask people for suggestions and information to help her make lemonade out of the lemons she has been dealt. Thankfully her home isn't flooded or blown away so she can focus on squeezing the lemons.

I know I have seen the devastation Katrina caused up close and crawled in the houses earlier this month. I visited my husband, who is an insurance adjuster and traveled with him for five days. I will never forget the people that I talked to. I can't imagine what Cozumel looks like after seeing Chalmette and St. Bernard.

I also have a brother in Florida that has four restaurants with tons of employees unable to work because the lose of electricty. He was fortunate that they weren't damaged by Wilma, but the loss of revenue to the area of Naples and Fort Myers will be great. The snowbirds should be coming down to the area but that won't happen with the mess that is there right now. I think we all need to not point fingers at anyone, rather extend a helping hand out to any one that needs a helping hand. If I took your post incorrectly I apologize in advance. Congratulations on 30 years of marriage hopefully this young couple will be blessed with as many years as you have.

- snip - Does anyone have suggestions for excursions in Ochos Rios? It definitely was not one of our choices, but we will make the best of it. Grand Cayman, we understand, has great snorkeling and was on our list when we first were looking for destinations, so all good there.

Any thoughts for excursions in these ports would be appreciated.

collies:

here's a link, but it looks much changed from the nice little town it was when we were last there. had the best jerk chicken, pork and fish we've ever experienced, but probably that's gone. dunn's river is a very popular place to go if the weather is half-way decent and the nearby water and beach are nice. friends who went there had a great time. lots of tourists. everything else is probably a faux attraction. http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/TravelGuide/Ocho-Rios/Index.html

john

thanx eric.....

megessy.....the actual "ceremony" is just that a ceremony....with the grooms father who is a minister officiating....

as far as all of the legal mess that goes w/ a wedding outside of the us.... that was not an issue....

all we were doing was putting on a "play" so to speak.....

you know the romantic notion of a beach ceremony....a mirimba band...open bar..... the bride and groom being whisked away from the beach on a motor boat.....

all i neded was "possible" options for when cozumel is unavailable....and I could start reserching and emailing possible places to get things set up...

or research and find out....our country club beach wedding was not going to be possible....

cancel......that is not an option.....not only do we had $$$$ tied up in our reservations....we have all of these other folks.....and rccl will give us no compensation....at this point we loose 50%....they made that very clear.........not that I thretend that...but I did ask what my options were...

as a side note....on sunday when the rep told me that majahaul was probably the option (actually the 2 folks just in regular reservations were far more helpful than the 3 folks in the actual depatment designd to handle these things)....I started investigating what was there....

we wnet to beleize last yr....and loved it...majahaul is just as beautiful....and I really came to the opinion that even though this is a very important day for my daughter....we might be in a realy neat place....do we really want to waste it messing w/ a wedding!!!!!....aye we should have the wedding on the ship....and plan a really neat day for everyone....

as it looks now....that is our only constant.......we will be on a ship!...

thanx for your support andyour thoughts........

and I welcome all your ideas....on how we can have a wedding on the ship...and make it so it doesnt look like we are in the meeting room at the airport hilton!!!!!!

trish

It seems RCI doesn't know their cancelation policies either. If you are cruising 12/15 you have up until 11/15 to cancel and lose just your deposits.

cancelation policy

Days Prior to Sailing

Charges Per-Person

3 & 4 Night cruises

60 or more No Charge

59-30 Deposit amount

29-8 50% of total price

7 or less No refund

Bill

Bill....does it surprise you that RCCL might have the wrong info....hmmm... seems I have gotten alot of wrong info.....however, we are considered a group.....and groups fall under a different set of rules....such as final payment is due before the 60 day of the regular guest.....

Collene....you were not on the splendour at xmas by any chance just wondering what the decorations were like....

yesterday when I spoke to the gentleman in st thomas....who does their weddings down there....he was very familiar w/ the splendour...as he used to do wedding on it.......I had heard that the splndour was a beautiful ship, because it was the 1st to be built in that class....and after it was built RCCL cut out somethings due to $$$$.....he said that it had a bunch of amenities and special touches because it was built to attract a much more monied clientel....because of its mediteranian cruises.....

anyway am not sure where I was going w/ that.....

thanx to all of you....and I am off to get an insert printed for the invitations.....that were to go out last week.....

after I call RCCL wedding next week I will post the outcome.....

have a good weekend........trish

mpffls - Our daughter was married on Rhapsody of the Seas departing from Galveston and was married onboard prior to sailing. It was a bit stressful hoping it all came together and trusting perfect strangers to do what we had planned so I can sympathize with your dilemma. You have a great outlook and sound much like me in that you can deal with changing plans but just need correct information to do so.

It was a beautiful wedding, certainly did not feel like we were in a hotel meeting room at all. The staff did a wonderful job with the flowers and set up to make it beautiful. They were married in the Shall We Dance lounge, chairs were set up in rows on the dance floor with them standing at the front where the stage area begins. The had sprays of flowers on either side so you didn't even notice, the flowers framed the bride, groom and minister.

Royal Romance can be a little trying to work with, I think they get their "wedding consultants" from the same pool as their customer service reps so take a deep breath before you call. We ended up dealing with a wonderful woman, Catherine, who was efficient, full of information and just plain helpful. You might want to try asking for her, this was 2 years ago so not sure if she's still there but it's worth a try.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Bill....does it surprise you that RCCL might have the wrong info....hmmm... seems I have gotten alot of wrong info.....however, we are considered a group.....and groups fall under a different set of rules....such as final payment is due before the 60 day of the regular guest.....

OK well maybe they got something right. I didn't know there were different rules for groups.;)

nothing surprises me with any of the cruise lines. It seems like they all hire anybody with a pulse, and sit them down at a phone with no training at all.

You can always find out the correct answers to your cruise questions from people on CC. Like you we all seem to know more then the customer service people that actually work for the cruise lines.

I hope everything comes together for you guys and you have a great, memorable, cruise!

Bill

While I realize how frustrating this must be....I would be feeling the same way that you are, it really is too soon for them to give you carved in stone information right now. Cozumel is a staple port...most ships going west go there. Every line is trying to refigure their itineraries.

Getting married at the port on the ship prior to sailing sounds like good advice. Not exactly what they had imagined. That's good practice for them as the marriage and then life won't be exactly what they imagined either--we all know that.

Try to give all the stress away and focus on the joy of the wedding that's what is really important.

Any information RCL gives you right now may not turn out to be the real thing anyway. Remember all ports are subject to change.

Good Luck

Collene....you were not on the splendour at xmas by any chance just wondering what the decorations were like....

yesterday when I spoke to the gentleman in st thomas....who does their weddings down there....he was very familiar w/ the splendour...as he used to do wedding on it.......I had heard that the splndour was a beautiful ship, because it was the 1st to be built in that class....and after it was built RCCL cut out somethings due to $$$$.....he said that it had a bunch of amenities and special touches because it was built to attract a much more monied clientel....because of its mediteranian cruises.....

anyway am not sure where I was going w/ that.....

thanx to all of you....and I am off to get an insert printed for the invitations.....that were to go out last week.....

after I call RCCL wedding next week I will post the outcome.....

have a good weekend........trish

Everything is going to be fine.You seem like a pretty adaptable person.I don't know if I'd be holding up this well .I hope everyone appreciates all the work and stress you're going through.Let us all know how it turns out and don't forget to share some pictures with us.

P.S. I think you should book a second cruise to reward yourself!!

Please see the attached link. CZM will be open for cruisers mid-November.

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma.asp

As far as the wedding, contact Stephanie at Cozumel wedding planner on the internet. Her e-mail is info@cozumelweddingplanner.com

She married my husband and I in March at Mr. Sancho's Beach Club

and is magnificent.

I'm sure she could offer suggestions.

Being a mother myself and having gone through the details of my daughter's wedding (on land), I know your frustration. You want the day to be just perfect for her. That is a given. What ISN'T a given is the fact that RCCL is taking the brunt of your frustration and it is really not their fault that Wilma changed everyone's plans. RCCL has gone out of their way to be accessible and willing to compromise in situations for me. My daughter is scheduled to fly to Cozumel on November 5th with her extended party of in-laws including great-grandparents. They changed their reservations to Mazatlan and are in the process of trying to change their air tickets as well. You have to calm down. This hurricane only did the destruction last weekend. You are not going there until December. (In fact, I'm leaving on RCCL the 16th of December). It is remarkable what that country can do. This isn't the first time they have had destruction and recooped.

I hope everything turns out okay for you, but at the same time it is your DAUGHTER'S wedding. If this is the first time things haven't gone just right for her, wait until she's married. It will be an eye opener for her. I wish you all well. Pleasant journey!

There was a honeymoon couple on our cruise last month that had no home to go back to after their cruise because of the hurricane in Texas. Their parents told them to extend their honeymoon until they had power back. I am sure there were lots of brides whose weddings were ruined by bad weather this year.

Alot of CC posts have suggested a wedding on the cruiseship would be a nice alternative if need be. It will be interesting to find out what the bride and groom decide to do after all. I am sure they will have a wonderful sunny day and lots of happy memories of their wedding no matter where the wedding is held.

thanx all....

we are one week closer ....which puts us 7 weeks out....it is at this point that I normally begin to get really excited about a cruise.....and weeks should fly by.....

in a few days we have halloween.....then thenksgiving....and 2 weeks later...the cruise....

we are also 1 week into this.....and now that the "dust" has cleared....I see things more clearly.....

however, to many of you my clear thoughts will agrivate you even more.... but I feel I need to let you know some history....not that you will understand totally.....I don't expect that.....

after all....some you think it is foolish to plan something using a cruise ship as a vehicle.....or "just change it ....no big deal....after all there are 7 weeks..." Like there is no difference between a sandy beach and the card room on the ship!

This board is a wonderful place where folks with one comon interest can all comunicate about the obsession they have with cruising.....thru the yrs I have made great friends....as a matter of fact 2 yrs after our navigator cruise.....we still have our thread going.....

we have been thru weddings, illnesses....job loss, the death of a loved ones...animal and human....and hurricanes.....I sometimes feel those folks on that thread are probably more in tune w/ things in my life than folks I consider close friends here in town....and I am sure those of you that post frequently feel the same way.....

We tend to use these boards for many reasons....information is certainly at the top....but many times it is for therepy....and just simply because you know that the folks on this board can relate.....

So.....now that I see things more clearly....and as I said for many of you... this will probably send you over the edge...I will do it for you....yes...I am selfish....materalistic....I am a "control hound"....that always goes over the edge....and while I am very sorry for their devistation in cozumel....and their loss of bussiness....while I think it is horrible tradgidy, just like the sunami...Katrina....rita....and who knows what greek lady will bring as we have 5 weeks left.....this is not about them....it is about my daughters wedding.....and all of the planning for it

we decided early on for this to be a destination wedding.....for many reasons.....

we live in san antonio, the brides father and "step-monster" live in DC, the grooms parents live in Midland (but have just moved to Miami)....the bride and groom had gone to school in lubbock....and moved to athens ga... so everyone close to this wedding was going to have to travel....not to mention not a single person in the 14 (it was 16...but we lost 2....one went ot iraq....and the other mis-behaved) that comprised the wedding party lived in san antonio

so ....keepimg school scheduals in mind.....$$$....number of days .... it worked out that a cruise to cozumel was perfect....and not just any cruise... this one....(and also keep in mind cozumel was not out 1st choice....it won by default....due to .....oh my gosh..here it is again....4DAYS and GALVESTON!!!!!!!!).....I think I mentioned in another post my 1st thought was the bahamas....and the cloisters at the one and only.....

we then researched every available place on the island for a wedding...and while I am sure nachi cocom and mr sanchos can host a great event....I saw pics and they loked wonderful....ours could not be in the evening after the beach club closed....we were on a cruise and had to have it at the latest...3 pm.....

now when I say....everything was themed around this ....I mean it played into every aspect of the wedding...

Details are my bussiness.....

for example....the dress....I know my daughter did not try on every dess in san antonio...but we gave it a good try.....oh and did I mention this was in a whirlwind trip that lasted 72 hrs.....she finally settled .....and notice I used the word "settled" on a lazaro, she really liked the ramona keveza but after thinking what an ordeal it would be to "drag" the fabulous train thru

the sand...we decided on a less opulant lazarro.....then we modified the design and had it specially designed for the event.....for those of you unfamiliar with these names... just let it be said that the mens warehouse comercial where the groom is upset because his tux rental might be $100 and the guy notes that the brides dress probably cost the same as his car.....well I can relate!!!!!

I have been in contact w/where we got the dress and we have a meeting next week to see what we can do to make the dress more in keeping with a wedding on a cruise ship decorated for xmas ....rather than one that was designed to acomidate sand.....and the hoisting up... to get into the motor boat that was to take the bride and groom away.....

and the invitations.....engraved of course....and close to the cost of the dress.....the color of the water in cozumel.....with plam tree embelishments......and a fabulous palm tree linner on the inner envelope....special pens for the caligraphy using the same color ink as the torqouise ink used on the white envelopes and enclosure cards....

we had about 50 going on the cruise.....and another 20 -30 meeting us in cozumel..and staying at the el presidente...and lets not forget Neal.....my cc buddy from our navigator cruise who was booked on the inspiration out of florida and going to meet us in cozumel that day.....

the groom in his natural linen suit.....his gromsmen in their kahki pants, pink polos w/ their lime green linnen ralph lauren blazers .....almost perfectly matching the bridemaids j crew silk dresses in pink, lime torquise.....

details....and I had pages of them....shoud I continue...the bags of goodies to be delivered to everyones staterooms.....w/ fans for the wedding...cameras....

I am thinking you get the idea.....and why I am freaked out....

am I furious w/ RCCL....very much so....and NOT becasue they could not tell me a deffinate port we would go to.....again let me say.....all I wanted was possibilities.....what COULD the sub ports be....after all, and I feel like a broken record.....4 DAYS AND GALVESTON.....the list has to be short!!!!

I was simply looking to salvage some of the theme..........

someone suggested I post another thread about the wedding....and I did...and someone on that thread directed me to a thread just for weddings.....welll...that certainly made me feel better....like I needed to read MORE horror stories about....."How Royal Romance (rccl's wedding dept) ruined my wedding"....there are pages of them.....

and while some of you....(and I know this will get me real trouble, but I went to one of the brides pictures and this is what I saw) might find it acceptble to have a wedding in one of the lounges, with chairs lined up at the stage...however in the background just off the area where the wedding was taking place chairs and tables were stacked up....and it looked like a big emply show lounge...after a late night on the cruise ship....at the imaginary aisle were 2 white balloon towers....it looked like exacly what it was.............an empty show lounge.....this is not only not what I invisioned.....but not really acceptable for us....

I am thinking you can understand how I will try anything not to have to use this venue....and I also know that there are those of you will will just think I am awful and have really bad priorities....but hey ...they are mine....not yours....and I am not advocating that they be yours....

"well at this point....nothing is going to satisfy you".....I can hear it now.... along with...."you should not blame RCCL for the hurrican".....and I must ask you....have I ever blamed RCCL for the weather....no ....

and as far as being dificut to satisfy me....you might be right ....it will be hard to satisfy me with a sub of a cruise ship loung or card room.... which is why I have turned to the best source I know...CC...you folks are the most knowlegable resource I have.....

and just like me have been all over every ship you have sailed.... you can tell me most everything I want to know about ships public rooms....private rooms...ports...everything.....

and before I go to RCCL royal romace....I want to have a list of places I want to do things and not rely on them telling me my only option is .... once again the card room....

the hotel is destroyed.....have I mentioned anything about being furious w/ them.....no....and had RCCL handeled it the way the hotel did...I think I would have been more compationate....

after all....I really only got furious with them after my calls to carl....shelby....and patti.....

my first call to RCCL.....I was not upset at all.....it has been the calls after that....that sent me over the edge...of course it was not a far jump!!!!!!

I am formulating an alternate plan.....at sea...the 2nd night of the cruise is the captains dinner we are late seating which is 8:30....so I figure a 7 pm ceremony....I beleive the word is "simbolic" using Colleene's sugestion of the back sports deck....it wll be dark....but a full moon.....and I think with the addition of "twinkle lights" that of course we will provide.....we can make it a very nice spot.....then we will just have open bar...some form of music..background....and go to dinner....and party in a lounge for th rest of the night....

well......I have certainly rambled on.....and wasted my entire sat morning....

as always will keep you posted........

and thanx....so much....for all of your ideas....

trish

wow, what a vent! :) I still want to know how the bride and groom feel about this? At our wedding NO one was in control but me, and even though lots of people didn't agree with many things we had done,we ended up having the wedding we wanted and it was beautiful. You have obviously put ALOT of effort and planning into this wedding, trust me, I know how obssesive and detail oriented it can be, I almost turned into bridezilla :). That being said, what is your alternative for the sandy beach wedding? If it took 72 hours to decide on a dress I sure it isn't easy to decide on a new location. I think you are probably overworked planning this wedding, take a breather and begin again. My mother wanted to be totally involved in planning my wedding, and though she did contribute financially part of the cost, I did not want her to be stressed out, plus control everything ;), so I delegated tasks to her and took care of the rest. Is there anyway more people can get involved to help you out?

And remember, the most perfectly planned wedding can still have something go awry.On my day the photographer/ videographer team had their car stolen in the Church's parking lot. Didn't ruin the day (they got it back a few days later), caused a small blip but I was prepared for the unexpected anyways, by that time we were happily married and I didn't care if the sky fell down, I was estatic and high on endorphins!

Yes, you have, the title of your thread is "Furious with RCCL and Cozumel"

You are setting your own stage for a major disappointment. I do hope that all goes well for your daughter and new son-in-law and that they have a beautiful wedding and a happy marriage.

You should probably take a giant step backwards an re-read your posts. Is this really the way you want your daughters wedding and your relationship with your new SIL and friends/family to be?

trish: some people just can't stop trying to make you feel bad.

it is starting look like your cruise may indeed stop in cozumel. here's a site with more information from people who live and work there.

http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/2005/mexico.shtml

this note is from the above site very hopeful

**** Caribbean Hurricane Network - http://stormcarib.com/

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:36:35 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

Subject: An Update from Adrian

I received this from Adrian today

Thank you very much for beein in touch.

We are all ok, family and Especias as well as the Kiteshop are ok. We have

had some friends over with us and have help alot of people here in the

island.

It was a Strog hurriacine for sure and PLEASE do not belive all of what the

media is saying. Cozumel had some big damage but nothing that cant not be

rebuild. We have had electricity since last night and we are working really

hard.

As a team, we (town people) have cleared up streets since the day after the

storm for the help (electricity company and trash trucks) to work and have

water and all the services back.

Ocean front is only accesible to store owners and the streets are ok, and in

a month, as a limit, all have to be back to business.

Piers: one, puerta Maya gone, International pier partially hurt and in use

as well as punta langosta and the town one are in use already.

We are expecting the first cruiseship Nov the 14th and tour operators are

ready to work Now!!

We have had this before and we know how to get back in business. My

restaurant is running already and the kiteshop as well.

Please Help, spread the voice, WE ARE OK!!! and there will be updates at

www.cozumelkiteboarding.com,

www.cometocozumel.com,

www.cancunmap.com,

www.scubatony.com

I will greatly appreciate if you forward this mail to as many people you

know

Sincerely

Adrian from Especias!

maybe the kiteshop would be a fun place to have a wedding. just kidding.

i see though that the airlines have decided to stop people from flying in there until some time in december, even though the merchants are hopeful cruise ships will start anchoring out in the harbour and ferrying tourists in to shore. rccl stops at the international pier, and adrian above says its damaged but being used.

john

mpffls,

While you may be furious with RCCL (for no good reason IMO), I think it's kind of funny that the very first answer they gave you, and the one you refused to accept and which sent you on your merry way to furiousville, may turn out to be the correct one - Cozumel.

1st let me say...cozumel is one of my favorite ports....I am one of those strange folks that love cozumel and nassau!!!!

because of these boards I feel I have new friends all over the cruise world.....and the locals in cozuml that frequent these boards are great folks.....my heart and prayers go out to them....

but RCCL............is on my list!!!!!!....

we are a group of 50+ booked on the splendour out of galvston 12/15....4 day... going to cozumel....

the reason for this trip....our daughters wedding.....she was getting married on the beach at the hotel el presidente....in cozumel!

so family...friends....wedding party....we are all geared for a wedding celebration cruise.....themed....the splendour of a wedding.....

so when wilma hit....I was all over the net....getting evry bit of info I could.....to be pro-active in case we needed to change plans with less than 8 weeks.........did I mention we started planning this and booked last feb.....

so....on sunday...I called RCCL, just their reg reservations line....just to find out....what the possible optional ports would be.....if in fact we did not go to cozumel......they said probably majahaul.....but I should call the "resolutions line"......this is the special section....just set up to help in these situations....

now I need to make it clear..........I am in no way.....demanding to know the alternative port.....I simply want to know.....

1. if they think the cruise will be canceled
  2. what are the possible ports we might substitue
  3. and when we might know the actual port to be substituted

reservations assurd me that this department was going to be able to answer this........

in the mean time I contacted the el presidente corp offices....they are in houston....and found out that the hotel was pretty damaged and would need to be re-built completely....and would probably not open for 9 months to a year......

so I get the resoluton line....and Carl....let me know that nothing had been canceld in cozumel....everything was "a go".....and that it was bussiness as usual........

I asked..."so you are telling me ships are going to cozumel..."

"yes"

"so where are they docking....?"

"uhhh.....at the peir"....and with such attitude....

I let him know the peirs were gone....and asked to speak to a supervisor....

That would be Shelby....she was nice enough at first....wanted to know my booking #....which of course I did not have ....but she was able to find my reservation w/out it....and noted that it was a group....I went thru the whole explination...again....and she said....

"well if you don't go to cozumel.....they will not sub a port you will just have another sea day..."

"Ok.....so if we make cozumel a sea day....and this is a 4 day cruise....then this is now a cruise to no where"

"oh well then they will sub a port"....

"ok...so what are those options..."

now get ready for this....and remeber these things....galveston, 4 days....

"st thomas, caymen, jamaca.....you could go to almost anywhere"

I pointed out galveston and 4 days.....and she said that did not matter... besides as far as RCCL was concernd....there was no problem w/ cozumel..

ok....so shelby how bout I speak to your supervisor.....well she really did not see a need for me to speak to her suporvisor...because she was a supervisor and no one knew more than her!!!!!

so now I have Patti on the phone.....an right from the start she let me know that shelby had informd her I was a problem........

ok....I go thru it again.....and I really try to convey that I am only looking for "possibilites" so I can rsearch our possibilities.....after all this is our daughters wedding.....and we would like to have some idea where we might have it!!!!!

Patti let me know that there was a complicated formula for switching and subing ports.....and quite frankly....there did not seem to be the need to do that for cozumel and 2 of her staff people had tried to tell me that....

I told her of the reports of the devistation...she told me she watched the news...things were not tht bad.....

I told her of my contacts w/ folks on the island....of the el presidente.... of chankanaub....of the peirs....

as far as she was concerned these were all extremem exagerations....unfounded rumors.....

and as far as ports... anywhere in the caribbean could be subbed....

again the galvston and 4 days......did not matter....

(when RCCL....does a 4 day to st thomas from galvston....I will be in the royal suite!!!!!!.....and monkies will fly out of ....oh sorry...this is a family board!)

I mentioned that majahaul / costa maya had been thrown out there as a possibility.....

she let me know that was very unlikly.....as this was a port RCCL did not go to very often....possibly one ship once a year.....

(I could be mistaken....but didn't RCCL....build the big criuise "thing" there)

as this point I could not resist letting her know that the splendour was going there 16 times between the end of nov....and the end of jan....

but once again I was told my info was wrong......you know.... you would think RCCL would catch a mistake like that in there cataloge and on their website!!!!!

at this point I was so.....frustrated....I said "ok I understand you can not tell me where we might go.....but could you verify we will not go... to key west......."

you are to going to beleive this......

Patti let me know....key west was deffinatly a possibility.....and so was tampa........these were often subbed for cozumel...

"you can't be serious.....we could go from galveston to tampa!"

her answer was yes.......

"do you not see a difference between cozumel and tampa...."

at least she did say she say a differnce....but tampa was a lovley city....and people loved to go there....

she explained to me that the places that I enjoyed were not necessarily the same places that others on the cruise would enjoy....for example..."belze might be subbed and you love beleize....while the people in the cabin next to you...hate beleize and are furious!"

"Patti.....let me explain something to you....I am willing to bet....that if you got 2000 people on the splendour in glaveston..on what was suppose to be a cozumel cruise....and told them they were going on a 4 day cruise to tampa.....you would have 2000 angry cruisers!!!!!!

at this point I was told that was my opinion!!!!!

so finally I asked what are my options....

"basicly....they are to get on the ship....and go where it goes..."

"and will I find out where it is going so that we can plan our daughters wedding...."

she had no answer.....but let me nwo that if we canceled we would endure all of the penalties

and she did have some advise....

"perhaps we should make alternate plans for the wedding....."

is that not what I am trying to do.....

she ment the ceromony....

then what is the point of the cruise!!!!!!

by the way.....as the parents of the bride....we are in an OS because the RS was taken....the bride and groom are in a JS....and the wedding party are in 9 cabins........this is all on our american express....so we have alot invested w/ RCCL........

not that the $$$s for this trip shoud make a differnce....whether we were in the RS....or 4 in a Z.....we should receive good customer sevice....

and some simpathy....or at least fake it that you are simpathetic!!!!!

thanx for letting me rant.........

and if anyone knows the next level of the RCCL chain....like the VP of customer relations....send me their info....

I will be up all night............after this rant!!!!!!!!

trish

Be thankful you can have a wedding at all.

My cousin's Hank's daughter was to be married this weekend. However for the last year Hank has been battling Leukemia and Lymphoma and had been at the Mayo Clinic hoping for a bone marrow transplant that did not materialize. He had hoped to walk in some fashion his daughter down the aisle or at least be there to see her marry. On Wednesday he passed away and the family had to cancel the wedding at least for the time being.

I think in the grand scheme of things your issues are relatively minor

Trish, some diatribe. I hope it works out and you don't drive yourself and everyone else crazy over this. And hopefully a few others have learned what most of us already knew, don't count on a specific itinerary or port. Heck, many have learned in the last few years not to count on the cruise leaving on time or even not at all in some cases.

Trish, some diatribe. I hope it works out and you don't drive yourself and everyone else crazy over this. And hopefully a few others have learned what most of us already knew, don't count on a specific itinerary or port. Heck, many have learned in the last few years not to count on the cruise leaving on time or even not at all in some cases.

Good thoughts.

Trish..............WHY...................do................you..................use..................

so...............................many.......................DOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived