Viking Star Questions ...

FM

For those who have sailed the Star, curious about the following ...

• Re: the Silver Spirits Premium Package, what is the max cost of beverages that it covers ... do the majority of beverages fall under the limit including virgin/non-alcoholic drinks
  • Re: the availability of movies in your stateroom ... is it more of a variety of recent blockbusters or more of movies like the "Notebook", drama, romance and such ... does that translate to the type of movies available in the Theatre ...
  • Are the evenings really really quiet in the public areas
  • Are the items available through room service below, at or above average compared to the mainstream lines like RCL, Disney etc
  • Any list available of the type of Spa services available and cost ...
  • There is a current promotion re: free airfare ... what has people's experiences been regarding how Viking deals with booking airfare for their passengers

We are looking more at the Caribbean itineraries that Viking is planning for the future ... debating whether to give them a try or go with the other mainstream cruise lines ... Thanks

Hello, My wife and I were on the 'Viking Star' last summer on the Vikings Homeland cruise and loved it!. I can't answer all your questions but I'll try to help with what I can. We didn't sign-up for the silver package (drink package) in that my wife and I are not big drinkers. We found with the included beverages with meals was more than fine for us. The few 'adult beverages' we had at other times were reasonable as to price. The silver package would have been a waste of money for us. We stayed in a Penthouse Jr. Suite and the mini bar was replenished daily. Although I don't recall details of the in-room entertainment (movies), they have an excellent system in place giving notifications regarding upcoming ports and (what I enjoyed most) you could replay the educational talks given by experts onboard (if you wanted to hear again or in our case had to miss the original talk because of scheduled dinner reservations). The public areas were never crowed or what I would consider 'busy' except for immediately prior to leaving the ship for excursions. We spent two weeks on this ship last year, and currently have another cruise planned for this winter, so I highly recommend Viking Ocean cruising. if I can help answer anything else, let me know.

We are doing our first ocean cruise this fall but have booked free air thru Viking for river cruises and have been pleased with their service and flights/connections.

Also, it is my understanding that room service is included in the cruise cost. Someone in an earlier post or a review had a room service menu attached and there were no $ on it.

Hi. I was on the Viking Homeland trip this May. I can't help with Silver Spirits either. I think I had 5 drinks max during the whole trip!

As far as the movies are concerned, I felt there was a good mix of current and "oldies" available in several genres. I am on the younger side of people on the ship and didn't have trouble finding something to watch. There are also several TV shows, some live channels and recordings of the port talks and enrichment talks. I think you can watch every video produced by Viking as well! I can say that my mom and I binge watch "Downton Abbey" through about 4 seasons! I also watched the new Star Wars movie on the pool deck.

I agree with Etexvrc on the public areas.

Room service was included. My mom ate almost everything on the menu as she had hurt her knee and had trouble walking for a few days. We ordered breakfast in most days as well. The food was good!

I took the yoga and zumba classes offered through the gym/spa. I believe they were $12 each. I also had a facial. I don't remember the price, but it was comparable to spas in my area (New Jersey). They also had some specials (especially after optional tours), so always good to stop in in person to see what's going on. I was pleased with the services I received.

We booked our air through Viking and were pleased with the results. We have booked another trip in 2018 (Into the Midnight Sun--can't get enough of Norway) and are using Viking Air.

Hope this helps!

Thanks all for your input so far.

It's great to hear how good room service fare is ... and that "current" movies such as Star Wars is available ...

In re: to the drink package, DW and I are non-drinkers ... but would take advantage of the non-alcoholic offerings. If we don't go for the package, just wondering what other beverages (i.e. juice) are available without charge outside mealtimes aboard the ship ... is there a "beverage" station that offers water, coffee, tea etc that you normally find in the buffet areas of other cruise lines?

Thanks

Thanks all for your input so far.

It's great to hear how good room service fare is ... and that "current" movies such as Star Wars is available ...

In re: to the drink package, DW and I are non-drinkers ... but would take advantage of the non-alcoholic offerings. If we don't go for the package, just wondering what other beverages (i.e. juice) are available without charge outside mealtimes aboard the ship ... is there a "beverage" station that offers water, coffee, tea etc that you normally find in the buffet areas of other cruise lines?

Thanks

Yes, there is a beverage station plus in the DV and above stateroom categories, your mini-bar is replenished daily in accordance with whatever it says you get for your stateroom level. Minimum refill is 6 cans of soda daily; if you have a preference, just let your cabin attendant know.

Hello, My wife and I were on the 'Viking Star' last summer on the Vikings Homeland cruise and loved it!. I can't answer all your questions but I'll try to help with what I can. We didn't sign-up for the silver package (drink package) in that my wife and I are not big drinkers. We found with the included beverages with meals was more than fine for us. The few 'adult beverages' we had at other times were reasonable as to price. The silver package would have been a waste of money for us. We stayed in a Penthouse Jr. Suite and the mini bar was replenished daily. Although I don't recall details of the in-room entertainment (movies), they have an excellent system in place giving notifications regarding upcoming ports and (what I enjoyed most) you could replay the educational talks given by experts onboard (if you wanted to hear again or in our case had to miss the original talk because of scheduled dinner reservations). The public areas were never crowed or what I would consider 'busy' except for immediately prior to leaving the ship for excursions. We spent two weeks on this ship last year, and currently have another cruise planned for this winter, so I highly recommend Viking Ocean cruising. if I can help answer anything else, let me know.

We're booked this October on the Sea in a Jr. Penthouse suite, and was wondering if the seating area could be closed off from the sleeping area if one of us wanted to stay up and read, and the other wanted to sleeP; or is it just one big room?

Yes, there is a beverage station plus in the DV and above stateroom categories, your mini-bar is replenished daily in accordance with whatever it says you get for your stateroom level. Minimum refill is 6 cans of soda daily; if you have a preference, just let your cabin attendant know.

Thanks - that is helpful.

Spoke with a Viking Cruise representative today re a booking for the Viking Sky Caribbean itinerary next year - the current promotion is free airfare from Canadian cities included.

Sadly, had to refrain from placing a deposit as there was no opportunity available for upgrading to Premium Economy or Business Class for "International Air" from Canada to NY and then from San Juan back to Canada even though Viking will not be able to book any air until next year.

Will have to check back in August once the current promo ends to see what if any new offers are available ... the rep tried his best to get us to book but there was no upside to booking now as opposed to booking later other than the possibility the cruise will be totally booked. Also, it is a bit difficult also to pay in full by end of August 2016 for a cruise that does not occur until October 2017 ... but we will see ...

Try using a TA. I didn't have to pay over a year in advance and only had to put $1,000 down. We are cruising in April and final payment is Oct 31. You can book the air to get the "free" air, then cancel it before final payment if you find a better deal. We canceled it and booked our own. Don't know if a TA could give you some kind of rebate if you don't use the "free" air. My TA also discounts the cruise 15% routinely, sometimes 18%.

We're booked this October on the Sea in a Jr. Penthouse suite, and was wondering if the seating area could be closed off from the sleeping area if one of us wanted to stay up and read, and the other wanted to sleeP; or is it just one big room?

We just returned from the Viking Homelands itinerary and were in a penthouse junior suite. It is technically one large room (and a nice size by the way!) but there is a heavy room darkening curtain that can be pulled to separate the two areas. We did not use this curtain so we cannot attest to its sound dampening qualities but it would certainly block the light from the television and the veranda (it is the land of the midnight sun!).

Have a wonderful time!

Do you know if there's a curtain in the DV? That would be nice!

Not in the DV cabins:

ry%3D400

Curtain would have to be between the chair and the nightstand. The curtain shown here is for the veranda door.

ry%3D400

Edited by Peregrina651

Not in the DV cabins:

ry%3D400

Curtain would have to be between the chair and the nightstand. The curtain shown here is for the veranda door.

ry%3D400

Love your llbean bag, my daughter in law got me the same one, lol

for those who just returned, did they say where to buy the best sweaters. Had a nowegian one as a child and my mother gave it away

Hmm, this sounds like a question for a new thread and maybe not even in Viking Oceans forum but maybe in the ports of call forum where you will get the biggest audience for the question. Maybe there is even an existing thread on the topic in ports of call.

Hmm, this sounds like a question for a new thread and maybe not even in Viking Oceans forum but maybe in the ports of call forum where you will get the biggest audience for the question. Maybe there is even an existing thread on the topic in ports of call.

Thanks

Fpacifico-I bought 3 sweaters on my trip. One in Stockholm, one in Tallinn, and one in Bergen. I was tempted to buy a 4th! They're all very different from one another. I don't recall being told where to buy them in the port talk (I didn't feel like shopping was pushed like it is on Caribbean cruises).

The one from Stockholm is from a shop called Gerd Inez Boutique. It's boiled wool. The shop designs and produces most of the items in the shop. So, I felt like I was buying something I wouldn't see here in the US. It think it was about $250 US.

I was interested in what Tallinn had to offer since I read in many places that the sweaters are less expensive. I looked in many shops, but one at the sweater wall caught my eye in the morning and I bought it in the afternoon. It's a knee length wrap sweater. 65 euros!

My final purchase was at the Oleana shop in Bergen. I have been looking at this brand for a couple of years and finally bit the bullet. It was over $300 US.

Dale of Norway is practically everywhere. I didn't see a huge variation in price between shops. Many had sale items too. I would have gone on the excursion to the factory, but it was cancelled on my trip. I also bought a pair of Aurland shoes in Bergen--these are the handmade loafers in one of the Viking videos. Needless to say, I was good for the economy wherever I went!

Fpacifico-I bought 3 sweaters on my trip. One in Stockholm, one in Tallinn, and one in Bergen. I was tempted to buy a 4th! They're all very different from one another. I don't recall being told where to buy them in the port talk (I didn't feel like shopping was pushed like it is on Caribbean cruises).

The one from Stockholm is from a shop called Gerd Inez Boutique. It's boiled wool. The shop designs and produces most of the items in the shop. So, I felt like I was buying something I wouldn't see here in the US. It think it was about $250 US.

I was interested in what Tallinn had to offer since I read in many places that the sweaters are less expensive. I looked in many shops, but one at the sweater wall caught my eye in the morning and I bought it in the afternoon. It's a knee length wrap sweater. 65 euros!

My final purchase was at the Oleana shop in Bergen. I have been looking at this brand for a couple of years and finally bit the bullet. It was over $300 US.

Dale of Norway is practically everywhere. I didn't see a huge variation in price between shops. Many had sale items too. I would have gone on the excursion to the factory, but it was cancelled on my trip. I also bought a pair of Aurland shoes in Bergen--these are the handmade loafers in one of the Viking videos. Needless to say, I was good for the economy wherever I went!

Thanks, I appreciate the names if stores included

Total newbie here re: types of sweaters. Despite our cold Canadian winters - even if it's -30 C, I'll be out just with my winter jacket. So can you provide me with some insight as am curious as to the interest in sweaters from Norway ... :)