DIY tours in Naples & Florence

LindaTadir

I think you'll need to be a tad more specific before we can help you.

Are you saying you have only a half day at Naples and a half day at Livorno, or that you only want to use half of your port time.

Also, what kinds of things are you interested it? Without some insight we might as well throw darts at a map and say "go there".

Thanks for asking. We'll be in each port for one day. We would like to spend only 1/2 a day in each port. For example: 8am till noon or 1pm. We're not interested in shopping or wine tasting. More sight seeing, walking, enjoying scenery and the culture.

Yes, if you're only willing to be off the ship for four hours cross Florence off your list entirely and focus on Pisa. Even Lucca is too far to go and back in just a morning. This bus service to Pisa doesn't go as early as you wanted but it's about the right amount of time: http://www.tuscanybus.com/low-cost-pisa/

As for Naples, simply walk off the ship and enjoy the historic center of town. There is so much to choose from - museums, churches, art, history, architecture, etc., all within walking distance.

Edited by euro cruiser

Most ships only offer a shuttle service from the ship to Piazza Grande in Livorno and not to the train station, which is a mile and a half further east, at Piazza Dante. You can walk or take a local bus from the southern side of Piazza Grande.

At the train station (Livorno Centrale) there are machines with an English language option where you can purchase tickets to Pisa Centrale. The ticket costs €2,60 and the trip (on a regional train) takes 15-20 minutes.

At Livorno Centrale you can take a taxi (about €10-€15), a local bus, or walk one and a quarter miles due north to the Piazza dei Miracoli, the location of the tower, duomo, baptistry and the duomo museum.

Edited by euro cruiser

here is what we did in Livorno - went to Pisa on our own - quite easy here is my blog report http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2015/10/livorno-and-pisa-monday-october-26-2015.html

For Naples you dock right near the town, we did Rick's Steve's walking tour from his guide. Very easy to do on you own. We also visited the Archeological museum - here is my blog with details http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2015/10/thursday-october-29-2015-naples-italy.html

Naples was our favorite of all of our cruise port stops. I posted this a couple of months ago about our visit.

"We were in Naples on April 26. Loved it. Walked off the ship and just wandered around the town. First we went to the Duomo and things around it, then wandered along the Spaccanapoli and the side streets of the old city. Stopped in at several churches, but the best were San Gregorio Armeno, San Domenic Maggiore and Jesu Nuovo. Also visited Santa Chiara: church, cloister and museum. Wandered the Spanish quarter and returned to the port by the Via Toledo and Galleria Umberto. With a little more time and less sore feet, we would have taken the funicular up to San Martino for the views across the bay.

Loved watching the street life, being in it and part of it for a while. The bustle of the Via Vecchia and Via Tribunali, the quiet of Santa Chiara, the smell of the laundry on the balconies of the Spanish quarter, eating fresh sfogliatella in a courtyard while listening to a piano lesson coming from the windows above (a very tentative Ode to Joy). I want to go back to Naples someday.

Note - the churches seem to close at 2:00, so I planned to see them early in the day."

Naples is known for its pastries. The pastry shop we stopped at was Scaturchio on the Piazza S. Domenico Maggiore. Reputed to be one of the best in town and after tasting the babas and the sfogliatella, I wouldn't dispute that.