Anthem ~ 9 Night ~ July 14, 2016 ~ Review

Sorry don't care. I want my room cool. We turn off the lights and close the curtains since the Balcony doors heats up the room more than anything else. If my room temp is constant the air won't turn on.

I have had a steward take my card out before and if it happens a 2nd time I politely ask him to leave it in the slot only had to ask 1 guy out of maybe 4 or 5 with this feature.

:( Well, I'm a Canadian choosing "Green".

Hello Cruising Newlyweds! We were on the same cruise and enjoyed it very much. I agree with you as far as the CD and Activities Director is concerned. They were very lack luster for sure.

Congrats on your 10th anniversary and your surprised tanzanite ring. We celebrated our 37th which was actually embarkation day. I was surprised with a tanzanite necklace in St Marteen

37! Congrats!!!! And YAY for new jewelry to remember special occasions!

I'm hoping that the absence of the Glow or White Party you talked about is just a one-off ... as one option we are looking at next year is combining the 9 night Canada/New England with the 5 night Bermuda aboard the Anthem ... wouldn't want things to get that repetitive on just the 9 day one.

Thanks for the info re: the drink package and late-night snacking ... it's kinda nice to know what the break-even point is to determine whether the drink package is worth it or not ...

Hey! Sorry it took me a while to get back to you....motherhood has been keeping me busy these past few days!

In terms of Old San Juan, there were some street that seemed empty, but then other streets (i.e. Fortaleza) that were bustling. We also noticed a lot of new construction and rehab construction as we were walking around.

You get 1 hour to break out of the Puzzle Room. I wouldn't say the finisher's medal is plasticky, but there's certainly not much weight to it! ;-)

DH wore a suit to the Grande. But, yes, jacket is required. We were seated tucked in a corner so I didn't get a feel for whether or not most guys were following the rules.

Even if the entertainment gets repetitive, I'd still chose 14 days on the Anthem over being home!

Congrats on both your anniversaries. We celebrate our 22nd while doing this cruise in Oct. I may need to tell my husband that it's tradition to buy tanzanite jewelry ;)

22 years is fantastic! Congrats! Honestly, I feel any Duty Free jewelry is a good anniversary tradition!

First ... Thank you!!! This was a fantastic review! I took a notes. We leave in 8 days and we are newbies. Our 16, 13, and 8 year old are going with us. Your water explanation solidifies that it is t a big deal and arrives at your room!

I plan to do more research but is tanzanite a St Maarten thing? I have heard about the guavaberry liquor and spices? Do you have suggestions of what the "it" thing is from each country.

I was also puzzled by puzzle break. I have no idea when it mysteriously appeared on the cruise planner but it was all booked by the time I saw it. Hopefully, we will have your luck. Glad your saw a younger child. My 8 yr old daughter certainly would be in big trouble if she acted like that.

Lastly, how did you find out how many ships would be in port??

And Happy Anniversary!! Our 22nd was 7/23 but this is a 20th anniversary cruise for a group we belong to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy 22nd Anniversary to you too!!!! I'm so glad you're enjoying my review! You already got a great response, but I'll just add my personal take on the shopping aspect.

Tanzanite is a rare gem. All of the known deposits are confined to a few square miles of land in northern Tanzania. It is the only gemstone with a large and rapidly growing popularity that has such a limited known supply. I typically don't see it sold in local US jewelry stores, but often in the Caribbean. It's not a St. Marteen thing by any means. But it reminds me of the Caribbean and made for a lovely keepsake of this anniversary trip!

Guavaberry is a St. Marteen thing, and it's good stuff with a really cute shop and taste testing, so I'd definitely stop there! In Bermuda, I try to stock up on Lily Bermuda perfume (Coral and Pink are my favorite scents). I'd say Puerto Rico is more about trying foods like mofongo and acapurria. And, if you're up for pressured sales, the Artisans of Haiti really do sell some beautifully handmade items.

Just a couple tips. Pack swim suits and sun screen in your carry on so after lunch your kids and you can hit the flow rider and pools best time to swim. Most people are walking around checking out the ship.

Have your teens go to teen club the first night its the night the cliques form. Everyone is looking for someone to hang out with. We make rules like always breakfast and dinner with us but they are free besides that. Its their vacation after all, different families different rules. Some teens are totally free to never see their parents all week.

Cruise ships have been selling the charms of tanzanite for years. JMO but if your actually looking at buying jewelry research it at home so you know what a good price it. You can get pretty cheap tanzanite on ebay FYI.

If you looking to bring stuff back from your cruise let me recommend Sheridan's. They will sell it in port and on ship. Its white chocolate and coffee liquor that layers and its YUMMY. You can not buy it in the US.

There are websites that show your ships in port this is the one I use.

cruisetimetables.com

Such great tips! And Sheridan's sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for that!

Is there more?

Yes! Coming right up! ;-)

Day 7 – 7/20, Wednesday @ Labadee, Haiti

Woke up this morning in the beautiful Labadee! And, now we can say that we docked Starboard the entire cruise. But, we still had a beautiful view Port side! We were also the only ship in town. I forgot to mention that while we were in Puerto Rico yesterday, a Carnival cruise ship docked around 11. That was the only time we saw another cruise ship these entire 9 days.

To start our day off, we ate breakfast in Café Two70 around 9am. Then we got off the ship and caught the ferry from the dock to Columbus Cove. We chose Columbus Cove because we just wanted a relaxing beach day and thought Adrenaline Beach would be too noisy/distracting with the zip line, kid’s splash pad, etc. Once we got to Columbus Cove, we moved a few lounge chairs under some palm trees (it was yet another crazy hot day and the shade was definitely needed) and began to settle in for a nice relaxing day. DH started lusting after the float mats right away and went to rent a couple. But then he learned that they were $17 to rent (YIKES!), so he rented just one. He signed the clipboard with our Room # for 1 rental. As he was getting ready to leave, the guy told him he could take two if DH would tip him. So, for $5, we got two. I ended up buying a $4 souvenir cup with a Labadoozie, so I could keep all of my refills (included in our drink pkg) nice and cold! The BBQ lunch was just ok. It’s really a simple All-American BBQ. It was nothing exciting, but it was tasty and we were thankful that we didn’t have to go back on the ship for lunch.

Around 3pm, we were starting to melt from the heat, so we decided to pack it up and head towards the ship. For those that aren’t familiar, Columbus Cove is basically the farthest beach away from the ship. There’s a tram that will take you back, but a line was already forming for it. So, we decided to walk towards Nellie’s Beach (next door) and easily caught a tram there. It had been almost 10 years since I’d been here and, BOY, I barely recognized the place while driving around! There are amenities galore and truly something for everyone to enjoy this port day! All-Aboard was at 4:30, and we decided to watch us sail away from the pool deck before getting ready for a show and dinner.

On the way to the theatre, we decided to stop by the hostess at Wonderland to confirm tomorrow night’s dinner reservation. Since we were REALLY looking forward to this meal, and given all our apparent non-existent reservations this week, we thought it best to ask. And I am SO GLAD that we did so! The lovely hostess did not see our reservation. However, she went the extra step beyond the quizzical look we received all week and looked deeper into it for us. In just a few minutes she discovered that all of our reservations on their main “Silverware” dining system were showing as cancelled back in mid-March. What?!?!?! Then why in the world have we always seen our reservations on our calendar on the Cruise Planner at home, on the Phone Application and the stateroom TV. Well, as it turns out, our reservations did exist on their “ASR” system. This would be why we see it in our calendars and hadn’t been charged for eating at a specialty restaurant because it was this system that recognized we pre-paid. Sadly, I then learned this ship uses multiple systems and they are horrendous at talking to each other. The hostess was quick to fix our reservation for the next night, and she even called ahead to Chops to fix it for this evening. We then stopped at Izumi to fix our reservation for the final night. It ended up not being a big deal, but I really wish someone had brought this technical glitch to our attention at the beginning of the week. Had they done so, it would have saved stress on each of the restaurants seating us and maybe we would’ve had a better experience at Chic.

After getting the dinner reservations fixed for the rest of the trip, we headed to the Theatre around 6 to get good seats for the 6:30 showing of ‘We Will Rock You.’ What a show! Yes, it’s loud and really bright (especially at the beginning), but you quickly adjust to it. It was a very well done show and the cast was amazing! It was definitely Broadway quality in my opinion.

At 2 hours long, we were super hungry after the show and ready to chow down at Chops! It’s such a lovely space. I love a good steakhouse and this one did not disappoint. Our filets were a little tougher than we expected, but they still tasted great! From the apps, to the sides and to dessert….we gobbled it up! Definitely try the Grilled Peppered Bacon appetizer. I’ve never seen such a big piece of bacon! The service was top notch and we really enjoyed our meal here.

The only thing that really caught our eye on the Compass tonight was The Quest gameshow in Two70. I absolutely LOVE this gameshow as it’s always good for a few deep belly laughs. And we have fond memories of being participants back in 2006 on the Radiance when it was in the Schooner Bar. Having said all that, we were VERY full from dinner and pretty tired after 3 port days in a row, not to mention that the CD annoys us and we thought he’d end up ruining the game. So, we called it an early night (and by early I mean the one and only night I was in bed before midnight this trip).

Lol - that's ok - family comes first :)

Our Anthem cruise isn't until late next year so I'll have to remember to reconfirm any dining reservations made just to avoid any problems/confusion that seems to occur on such a large ship. This'll be our first foray into any-time dining so it'll be interesting to see how we like it ...

What was the movie selection like on your stateroom TV ... is it affixed to the wall or can you pull the TV out and angle it towards the seating area ... also is the bed high enough that you can store your luggage underneath ?

Lol - that's ok - family comes first :)

Our Anthem cruise isn't until late next year so I'll have to remember to reconfirm any dining reservations made just to avoid any problems/confusion that seems to occur on such a large ship. This'll be our first foray into any-time dining so it'll be interesting to see how we like it ...

What was the movie selection like on your stateroom TV ... is it affixed to the wall or can you pull the TV out and angle it towards the seating area ... also is the bed high enough that you can store your luggage underneath ?

Hopefully, the tech issues will be fixed by the time you cruise. But, then again, I would've thought they'd be fixed by now. It was also our first any-time dining experience. And as a lover of going out to eat, I really thought I'd LOVE it and LOVE getting to eat in a different restaurant each night. But, I found myself surprisingly missing the traditional dining for several reasons that I'll touch on later.

I have no idea about the movie selection. We only really turned the tv on to check our onboard account, the compass, our calendar, order room service and mostly to see where in the sea the Anthem was located. But, I do know you can pull out the TV and angle it if you'd like. And the beds are definitely high enough to stow luggage underneath. The storage in these cabins was the best I'd seen!

Day 8 – 7/21, Thursday @ Sea

Ahhhhhh. A much needed sea day after 3 port days in a row! And boy did I sleep in today! My body has definitely adjusted to vacation mode!

Went upstairs to the run on the treadmill at the gym around 10 and I was so surprised by the lack of people around. Normally, the pool decks are pretty crowded by this point (at least with lots of towels saving seats anyways), but it was pretty barren. The gym was quieter too. Not that I’m complaining! My guess is everyone was moving slow this morning after so much sightseeing the past 3 days. Or maybe they were trying to check out the various activities the ship offers.

After my workout, I met DH in the cabin and we decided to head to Guest Services to fix some erroneous charges. We had a mini bar charge despite never using any contents, and any contents we moved from the fridge had been placed on top of the dresser (as instructed by our room steward). We also had a bar charge from North Star (with the drink pkg, this shouldn’t have happened). And the piece de resistance….we were charged for two floating mats on Labadee! Since the agreement was that we rented one, and DH signed for one, we were disputing the charge on the second mat. There were two organized lines, with a greeter directing traffic. I’m not sure the difference between the lines, if any, but our line moved quickly at Guest Svcs. We were actually helped from line by a rep with an iPad. He didn’t ask many questions and the charges were reversed before the end of the day.

We spent the day lounging in the sun at our usual quiet spot on Deck 15 aft. And we used the “secret” back stairs to enjoy lunch in the Windjammer. Later that afternoon, we took advantage of one of the Crown & Anchor coupons to get 2-for-1 milkshakes at Johnny Rockets.

Dinner tonight was at 7:30 at Wonderland. Ohhhhhhhh what an experience! We all loved it!!!!! We brought one bottle of wine (that we had brought onboard Day 1) for our friends to enjoy, while we enjoyed some of the awesomely creative Wonderland cocktails. The menu was a bit confusing. It’s in 5 sections, and not divided by appetizers, entrees, desserts. So, it was hard to tell what would be a big portion vs a little portion. But, our waiter offered to choose multiple dishes for us and he didn’t steer us wrong! By the end of the evening, I think we tried 70% of the menu! LOL! There were flavor combinations I’d never think of putting together, but they worked beautifully! And the presentation was gorgeous. It truly was culinary art!!! It was nice that the chef came to our table and we were able to compliment him on a job really well done.

After dinner, we headed to the Music Hall around 10 for ‘Anthem Rocks.’ It was crazy crowded in there and seemed to be wrapping up soon after we got there. But when it did wrap up, I’m happy to report that the looooooooong awaited dance party / night club vibe FINALLY came alive! We had a blast dancing the rest of the evening! But, why oh why did it take until Day 8!?!?!?!?!?!

Day 9 – 7/22, Friday @ Sea

The goal for today….soak up as much sun and relaxation as possible!!!! We headed to our normal Deck 15 aft lounge chairs, but this time a little closer towards the FlowRider. After watching it a bit, the guys decided to give Boogie Boarding a try and they had a really fun time doing it! We ate a late lunch in the Windjammer at 2. Silly us thought we’d be past the lunch rush, but I think that was the lunch rush. It looked like everyone is operating on a much later schedule than they were the beginning of the trip.

We headed into the SeaPlex around 5 to try Bumper Cars. This was actually our third attempt in two days, as we did not find it would be worth it to wait 45+ minutes for a 2 ½ min turn. Thankfully, we found the line to “only” run down 2 sides of the SeaPlex, as opposed to 3 sides we had previously seen. There’s about 15 cars operating, it’s a 2 ½ min ride and takes 2 ½ min to unload/load the passengers. So you can easily do the math to see if the line is worth it to you. I believe you have to be 5 to ride with an adult, or 9 to ride alone. They were walking around with iPads checking the ages of the kids in line that looked young. It took us about a 25 min wait and then we were in! And I’m glad we got to do it, as it was nothing but smiles and laughs from all of us! I even got hit by my DH so hard at one point that my sunglasses on top of my head fell off!

After the fun, we headed back to the cabins to pack and get ready for dinner. A few days ago, our cabin steward left a form in the room for us to request our preferred method and time to disembark. We requested Self-Carry at 7:45 and noted that we were travelling with another cabin. Well, we were assigned luggage tags for a 9:15 departure (while our friends got the Self-Carry). Oh, and we noticed yet another mini bar charge. So, DH went down to Guest Svcs to fix both items. It was an easy fix, but time that we shouldn’t have needed to spend. While we were packing, our room steward delivered the 2 bottles of rum that DH purchased Day 1 at the Liquor Tasting. Here’s a tip: if you buy alcohol onboard, open your box to check the contents. We did not. And it wasn’t until we were unpacking at home that we got the regular Goslings, as opposed to the 140 proof we purchased. The same turned out to be true for our friends.

Dinner tonight was at Izumi. While the food was good, I wouldn’t recommend it. We found the service to be painstakingly slow despite being one of a few tables in the place. And while the décor in the restaurant is nice, the location of it is horrible due to noise. It is located next door to the Schooner Bar, on the balcony overlooking the Pub, Sorrento’s, and the shops. Since Izumi is an open design the music from Schooner and the pub down below, as well as all the people walking around, could be heard. It was all very distracting and not in a good people watching way. The 4 of us ordered 3 soups, 6 rolls and 2 desserts to share and the cost came to about $30 pp. If anything, Izumi would be best at lunchtime.

But, while we were wrapping up dinner, we were visited by Umit, the Director of Food & Services. He was actually following up with me regarding an email I had sent back in April to the Executive Offices of RCI regarding the rumor of taking away Dynamic Dining. I was not expecting this follow up, nor did I think it was necessary as I had received several adequate emails in reply, but we were all very much thankful for him taking the time to meet with us. He spent a few minutes talking to us about our experiences onboard. We were sure to highlight the good, but also were honest about the bad (the tech glitches and our sad experience at Chic). He asked follow up questions and seemed very concerned. So, despite the less than perfect dining onboard Anthem…they are listening, they are aware and they are definitely trying.

After dinner, we headed back to the Music Hall for the Silent Dance Party at 9! We 1st discovered this dance party on the Explorer 3 years ago and it was a blast, despite us being very, very skeptical at first. If you don’t know, there are 2 dueling DJs and you can only hear their music through the provided headphones. You can switch stations between the 2 DJs whenever you please. Something about wearing those headphones allows people to really break free into dancing without the concern of somebody is watching. It’s a great time! And it’s hysterical to watch the dance floor of people dancing two different styles, while some are singing aloud as if they’re in the shower and no one can hear them! The dance floor was packed. And then at 11, they took our headphones away. L I’ll never understand why they felt the need to cut this party so short. I know it was only scheduled until 11, but nothing else was scheduled for the Music Hall. It was the last night and the dance floor was packed. People were having fun. Why take that away for nothing? The place cleared out pretty quick and partying on the Anthem came to a final close.

What a great review! Are all the restaurants included in the cruise price?

Thank you!

No, there are several restaurants included (ie. Silk, Grande, Chic, American Icon, Solarium Bistro) and then there are specialty restaurants that cost extra (ie Jaime's, Wonderland, Chops, Izumi)

Yep. They have been a big help in getting our Oct 6 Anthem cruise planned. We have used your review to pick our reservations and get them all set up for our trip. The knowledge we gained by your reviews and the other posters questions and comments along with your answers have made our planning much less daunting. After 19 cruises, it has been 5 years since our last one and there are many differences between those cruises and this ship! Thanks for all the work you have put into this review!

We're there any established formal nights or is the only formal requirement at Grande?

Only Grande (and Chef's Table, which is not complementary) is formal. Supposedly, they lower the requirements at Grande on the 1st and last night, due to people unpacking/packing.

Only Grande (and Chef's Table, which is not complementary) is formal. Supposedly, they lower the requirements at Grande on the 1st and last night, due to people unpacking/packing.

That's a good idea !! Will keep that in mind so I don't have to pack a jacket - lol ...

Yep. They have been a big help in getting our Oct 6 Anthem cruise planned. We have used your review to pick our reservations and get them all set up for our trip. The knowledge we gained by your reviews and the other posters questions and comments along with your answers have made our planning much less daunting. After 19 cruises, it has been 5 years since our last one and there are many differences between those cruises and this ship! Thanks for all the work you have put into this review!

It'll be great to hear how your cruise went when you return ...

Thanks for following along! I haven't forgotten about the summary' date=' but it's going to be a few days before I can get on a computer.[/quote']

Would love to try RCL AND Canada/New England for the first time ... but unsure if we should do a B2B with Anthem or go with NCL on the 2nd leg in order to try Haven for the first time ... or forgoing both to experience one of the Viking Ocean cruises ... for the first time. So your reports have been very informative and much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much! I can't begin to tell you how happy it makes me feel to know this helped in your planning!

Oh my gosh. I’m so sorry it has taken me this long to post my final thoughts on our trip! We took the kids camping last week so we were off grid for a bit, and then this thread slipped my mind. But, if you’re still interested, here’s my wrap up!

Day 10 – Sat, 7/23 – Disembark at Bayonne, NJ

We had Ticket A (1st group) for Self-Carry, which meant our departure time was 7:30 – 7:45 and we could meet in the Deck 5 Two70 Lounge. Well, we were running a bit behind with last minute packing, and we didn’t leave our Deck 10 cabin until 7:45. We got off the elevator on Deck 5 to see the line of Self-Carriers disembarking. We joined the line and didn’t stop moving from that point until the parking garage, except for a short pause at Customs. We did encounter a small line at the garage because all of self-carriers needed the two elevators with our luggage. That being said, from the time we left our cabin to being in our car, it was just 20 minutes! I am officially a BIG Self-Carry fan!

A few notes and final thoughts:

-Royal IQ App: We used this app a lot on the trip. We paid the $7 so we could communicate via text with our friends and found that very helpful. I liked having access to the Compass on the app, without having to bring around the paper version. However, I didn’t like that the events would drop off the electronic Compass once the start time lapsed. For example, Bumper Cars ran from 3:30 – 6, but you wouldn’t see it as an option after 3:30. It would have also been helpful at any given time to see the dining options, as well as the live music options (both of which the paper version details). It was nice that you could add upcoming events that interest you to your personal Calendar (no more highlighting the Compass!)

-Night Life: I know I touched on this already, but it was a disappointment for us. The fun, party atmosphere was lacking (not even a parade). No Glow Party, No White Party, and No Night Club parties in the SeaPlex (despite an obvious DJ booth in there). I can only guess that because there were a lot of teens on our sailing, they didn’t want to take the SeaPlex space away from them as a hang out. The night options were limited to Two70, Boleros and the Music Hall (never did see many in the Pub or Vintages) and the entertainment got repetitive. Maybe we’re wrong in doing so, but we blamed the interim Cruise Director, John Blair, and Activities Manager, Katrina Blair, for this.

-Dynamic Dining: I really, really, really wanted to love this. There’s not much more I enjoy than a nice sit down meal. And the idea of eating in 9 different restaurants over 9 nights was exciting to me. But, I can honestly and surprisingly say, I missed the Traditional Dining. I missed getting to know our wait staff and missed the calmer, routine atmosphere. The complimentary restaurants on Anthem always seemed rushed and hectic. There were a few disappointments with the actual food, but that wasn’t really our issue. This whole process of Dynamic Dining is simply stressful for everyone involved. I know food is very subjective, but given our overall experience as to taste, atmosphere and service, here’s how the 4 of us would rate our dinners (from best to worst): Wonderland, Jamie’s Italian, American Icon, Chops, Silk, Solarium Bistro, Grande, Izumi, and Chic.

-Anthem: A beautiful ship. We absolutely LOVED the artwork throughout and the cabins were the BEST we ever experienced. I feel like I have a good sense of direction, but even I got turned around quite a bit on this ship for some reason. And I also felt there was more congestion and bottle necking, making it noticeable that we were travelling with thousands of others (oddly I never felt this on the Oasis). Everything was high tech, which was very convenient when it worked (which we found it did most of the time). However, we were not fans of the high tech public bathrooms (and from the reactions of others, we weren’t alone). Just know that there’s a decent delay from exiting the stall to when the flush actually occurs. We barely felt the ship rocking. I think we were partly lucky with good weather, but I also think this is a very stable ship! We usually only noticed slight movement in Two70 or the Royal Theatre. One night, there was a bit more rocking and, as a result, we did hear some creaking in the cabin (but it wasn’t enough to keep us awake).

Lastly, we’re all very glad we went on this particular sailing and got to experience the Anthem. However, I don’t think DH and I will be interested in travelling this class of ship in the future. Of all the classes of ships we’ve sailed, this was actually probably our least favorite.

Thank you for following along on my sometimes long-winded journal of our trip! It sounds like it helped some cruisers with planning, which makes it worth it! Happy sailing everyone!!!