Liking inside cabin?

Earl Colby Pottinger

My traveling style is always the rock bottom inside cabin. :) I don't care where it is, I just don't want to pay more- simple cheapness. :) Same with hotels, I'm just fine in Super 8/Days Inn where others want the Hilton.

Isn't is wonderful there is something for everyone?? So many choices making the world small? I'm a volume restless traveler. Always have been. Have to be "gone" as often as I can. The itinerary is my priority. Incidental how I get there. I don't cruise just to "cruise", the ship isn't my priority, only cheap meals lodging and transportation.

This is a great post to look in the mirror and determine what you want out of your travels.

I've done both inside and balcony solo. I do p refer the balcony but yes, cost when solo can be an issue. I'd rather cruise twice :)

The best part of a solo balcony on carnival is not having to share the chairs. If I recline the one, I can lay flat and nap on my balcony :) Can't always afford the aft with the loungers but I make do!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer balconies, but have booked insides for my last four cruises as I have been sailing solo and paying double. There is plenty of room in an inside state room, and I do prefer the ones with the drop-down beds. I have not had a state room with a balcony for about five years, and at the time, I had smokers nearby that prevented me from fully enjoying it. However, I have booked an Alaska cruise for next summer and splurged on an aft-facing balcony. It's costing me an arm and a leg, but we have lots of time sailing through Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, and the Inside Passage. I'm really looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

I've learned that I am perfectly okay with an inside or studio cabin. Before I had my first balcony I thought they must really be something special the way people went on about them. My first balcony I went out, looked around, chatted with my neighbor for a few minutes and never went back out there. Second balcony/mini-suite I don't even think I bothered with going out there. For me, balconies are a complete and total waste of money. I will likely never book higher than oceanview though I will accept a balcony if prices drop.

I've learned that I am perfectly okay with an inside or studio cabin. Before I had my first balcony I thought they must really be something special the way people went on about them. My first balcony I went out, looked around, chatted with my neighbor for a few minutes and never went back out there. Second balcony/mini-suite I don't even think I bothered with going out there. For me, balconies are a complete and total waste of money. I will likely never book higher than oceanview though I will accept a balcony if prices drop.

Most of my cruises were inside cabins, but there were two times when I was glad I booked balcony.

(1) On Holland America the cruise to Alaska every morning there was something new to see from the balcony. We spent most of the time on the large front deck of the ship, but it was great to get up and have different views each morning. Also we got lucky since we did not plan it, but most ports were on our side of the ship when we docked.

(2) On the Carnival Destiny cruise Southern Caribbean we did six(6) islands in seven(7) days, that mean you were not at sea a lot, but watching a new port come into view each morning was a real treat.

Balcony at sea when you have a lot of sea-days is boring to me.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger