Upgraded without permission for 6232

TDCRose

Hi all,

We were just upgraded from Cabin 6232 on the Spirit's 12-10-05 sailing to cabin 6166 a mini suite. I did not ask for this upgrade and was not informed I was upgraded. I found out by checking my reservation on the Carnival website and the pitcure of the cabin catagory was changed for a cat. 8 to cat. 11. Travel agent said the cabin had not been changed. I check to day and mini suite still showing and went to order drink coupons and cabin 6166 came up.

I was really looking forward to the extended balcony, but with four people in the cabin, the Cat. 11 is probably better for us. Kind of a bitter-sweet upgrade :)

Hi all,

I was really looking forward to the extended balcony, but with four people in the cabin, the Cat. 11 is probably better for us. Kind of a bitter-sweet upgrade :)

At first I wasn't sure whether you were happy or sad about this. As far as a Cat 11 room, we had one & I would not want to have to put 4 people in there. The couch can only sleep 1 & there is no room for a roll a way bed! Guess you could put 3 in the bed :eek: !!!

Hi all,

We were just upgraded from Cabin 6232 on the Spirit's 12-10-05 sailing to cabin 6166 a mini suite. I did not ask for this upgrade and was not informed I was upgraded. I found out by checking my reservation on the Carnival website and the pitcure of the cabin catagory was changed for a cat. 8 to cat. 11. Travel agent said the cabin had not been changed. I check to day and mini suite still showing and went to order drink coupons and cabin 6166 came up.

Double post

My cruise ticket clear states:

"Please note, cabin assignment is subject to change in the event the guest occupancy caries on sailings with maximum occupancy restrictions."

Of course I do not know what that means, but if you are unhappy about it enough and called your PVP I think you could make a case for the cabin you booked originally or they may have to refund you the cruise fare.

Not sure though?

Suite 6166 will sleep four more comfortably than 6232.

There is a bed that pulls down from the ceiling (above the sofa) for the Fourth person. There will also be a dressing area and two sinks in the bathroom (and a tub). While the balcony isn't as long as 6232, it is still an extended balcony.

Did you book 6232 or a guaranty?

There are four beds in this cabin- two twins(make a queen), sleeper sofa and an upper berth. I really wasn't to happy at first-6232 has a 33 ft. long balcony. But with the family ranging from 5' 8" to 6' 5", the bigger cabin will be great! This was the first time we have ever been upgraded. Have had gty. and never upgraded-have an assigned cabin this time and received an upgrade! The upgrade fairy has smiled upon us!

Wisefamily4-

We booked 6232 back in July of 2004 and have had that cabin up until yesterday(could have been a few days before, but definately noticed the change yesterday). The more I think about the upgrade the happier I am about it.

Carnival should have called you TA for permission to up grade you first (unless they did and TA gave permission w/o asking you). Someone dropped the ball there. That being said, I think you should be happy with the upgrade. The balcony will still be a good size and I think you will find that with 4 people in the cabin, having the separate dressing area will be a life saver. We had 4 in a mini suite and it was great although the cabin itself isn't that much bigger than a standard cabin because much of the extra sq. footage is in the bathroom and dressing area. You have to go thru the dressing area to get into the bathroom but there are doors on each side so that you can close the bathroom off from the dressing area and the dressing area off from the cabin. There were times that we would have someone dressing or showering in the bathroom, someone dressing in the dressing area and someone dressing in the cabin. Once I even sent my son out to the balcony to change because we were running late for dinner so I didn't want to make him wait to change clothes.

There are four beds in this cabin- two twins(make a queen), sleeper sofa and an upper berth. I really wasn't to happy at first-6232 has a 33 ft. long balcony. But with the family ranging from 5' 8" to 6' 5", the bigger cabin will be great! This was the first time we have ever been upgraded. Have had gty. and never upgraded-have an assigned cabin this time and received an upgrade! The upgrade fairy has smiled upon us!

You just described the height of my family! At 5'8" I'm the shrimp of the family.

Blue Heron-

My 16 year old daughter is the shrimp- 5' 8", I am 5'' 9", Hubby is 6' 5"(though for years he said 6' 4" -measured yesterday and got the truth) my 14 year old son is 6' 3". Must be the fresh mountain air we are breathing:)

HeidiHo is absolutely correct, Carnival is not allowed to change your cabin without your permission if you booked a specific cabin, upgrade or not. I suspect your TA approved it.

One time when we (along with two other couples) selected specific cabins (Cat. 8A) so we could be located next door to each other, my TA called me about two weeks before the cruise and asked if he had my permission to let Carnival upgrade all of us to Cat. 11's. Of course, as he said, this was a no-brainer (they still kept us next door to each other), but he said he wasn't allowed to do it without my permission.

That being said, with four in a cabin, you will be much happier with the Cat. 11.

I am very glad you are happy with the upgrade but I think if that was done to me-- I would be pi$$ed. I book a set cabin. I dont want any upgrades anywhere--even to a suite- (i'd be afraid that we could never do a regular balcony cabin again....):D

Dang! Why don't things like that happen to me?! I love Cat 11 and Cat 12 suites. I book them whenever I can. If only Carnival would see that pattern and upgrade me on the times that I can't book the 11 or 12 for one reason or another.

You will really like the Cat 11. Disappointing that you weren't consulted but I'd call it a win in my book.

As far as I can tell, TA was not notified by Carnival to approve the upgrade. I was a little upset about the upgrade at first because I had booked this cabin because of the huge balcony. The rest of my family would rather have the minisuite over the huge balcony. As of yesterday, 6232 was still available. The ship is not that full, 8A's are being booked to 8 G & H's. More of the lower inside cabins were sold out with balconies and suites in large quantities available. Before they upgraded me, most of the suites were available on Deck 6, now they are booked. I think they are trying to fill the ship without lowering price by upgrading people and leaving cheaper cabins available. It will be easier to book 6232 the cat. 11. I am afraid we will get used to the minisuite. Had one on Voyager of the Sea(aft) and am booked in E731 Minisuite on Caribbean Princess Dec. 2006. Happy sailing to all!

If it helps any, I always book 6163 on Spirit (3 times so far), Legend (twice) and Pride (sailing 12/25) and there has been 2 chairs, 2 low chairs and 2 tables on the balcony with plenty of room to move. We love it.

Loads of room for the three of us women, plus you get more drawer and closet space then you do with a Cat 8. (had one on Glory...........was told not to do that again) Enjoy!

I am afraid we will get used to the minisuite. Had one on Voyager of the Sea(aft) and am booked in E731 Minisuite on Caribbean Princess Dec. 2006. Happy sailing to all!
We have had JS (mini suites on the RCCL ships) and just got off the Coral Princess where we had a mini suite. Believe me, the Princess mini suites are nothing like the RCCL JS. They are more the size of a Cat. 8 on Carnival. We were disappointed.:(

If you want the equivalent of the Voyager mini suite on the Caribbean, better go with the VS category. It is a little nicer than the JS.

Hi all,

I have suite 8273 corner wrap around balcony Cat. 11 on the Hawaii Spirit cruise.You have me worried now. I don't want any other cabin than the corner wrap around(especially for Hawaii)The view back there is to die for.I love the huge balcony (especially for a 12 day cruise) its kind of a get away in itself.

How do I check to see if they have not tried to upgrade me without my permission?

Archived