What's your best guess for where we'll end up?

DrivesLikeMario

The pictures coming out of Cozumel look pretty bad. We're on the Grand's Western itinerary in Dec. and I'm guessing we won't be stopping there. :(

What's your guess for where we'll end up? Here are some possibilities:

Progresso

Calica

Roatan

Playa del Carmen (probably hit pretty hard by Wilma though)

Limon, Costa Rica

Jamaica (either MoBay, Ocho Rios or Kingston)

Thanks!

From recent reports I have read on the internet, Cozumel has been hit pretty badly and it doesn't sound like the pier is in any shape for cruise ship passengers. Not sure where you will end up or if they may just give you another sea day. I am sure reports will come forth the next few weeks from those booked for the Western Caribbean itinerarys.

I was checking on our thanksgiving week cruise to see if I could book alternate excursions and the lady said there are NO changes scheduled at this point that we could either be going to cozumel or having an extra sea day or POSSIBLY going to anouther port. No decisions will be made for weeks.So I guess we won't be able to plan ahead:(

I just found this post...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1437

October 26, 2005pixel.gif

Wilma Destroys, Damages Cozumel Cruise Piers(1:51 p.m.) -- Cozumel is currently closed to all cruise ship traffic, and at least one of the three piers on the island has been destroyed -- the Puerto Maya Pier was lost during Hurricane Wilma. Reuters describes Puerto Maya as having been "pulverized, massive chunks of concrete torn away and thrown onto the beach." The International Pier and Punta Langosta Pier have sustained damages and are being assessed, according to a representative for the port.

The fate of these piers affects nearly every major cruise line as Cozumel is a mainstay on Western Caribbean routes. However, Carnival Corp. (the parent company of Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Seabourn and Windstar, among others) is particularly affected as it has invested a good deal of time and money in creating shopping areas -- and the now-destroyed Puerto Maya pier -- in Cozumel.

Electricity is out on the island, and a timeframe has not yet been established for repair and recovery. However, a representative for Costa Maya tells us the port is prepared to accommodate additional cruise ships due to the closure of Cozumel for up to six months. Ships that are anticipated to visit Costa Maya in lieu of Cozumel include Carnival's Carnival Valor, Sensation and Inspiration; Princess' Star Princess; Disney's Disney Magic; NCL's Norwegian Sun; and Holland America's Volendam, Veedam and Zuiderdam.

Costa Maya's pier and surrounding complex sustained no damage and continue to operate at 100 percent capacity; all shore excursions are up and running.

Click here for a full list of itinerary changes.

Hurricane Wilma made landfall on the island of Cozumel last Friday; the eye of the storm hovered above Cozumel and nearby Cancun for two days before heading to Florida.

We will continue to post information here as soon as we receive it, so please check back often.

I hope all will be well with the people that live in Cozumel and Cancun. :(

I was on last week's Star cruise, and people at our dining table were on this week as well.

They were told they would replace Coz with Costa Maya. Not much of a port, but a jaunt into the fishing village Majahual is said to be interesting - about a $5-10 taxi ride and a nice beach. Uvero Beach is a Princess excursion that is also said to be nice.

We've been to Costa Maya once. There is a little beach right at the end of the pier, and the shopping mall has folkloric dances and a swimming pool; also a beach bar serving cold cervezas.

We're already going to Costa Maya, so Cozumel can't be replaced with it. :(

Sounds like Progreso is out then too.

Starfamily - I wouldn't put too much credence in the Princess rep. you spoke with unless it was someone in a decision-making position regarding the port changes. I can guarantee you that Princess isn't waiting "for weeks" to make a decision and grab some much-sought-after port space for it's ships. I would bet they are scrambling to re-route ships for the next 3-6 months as we speak. In general, the phone reps. don't know anything that isn't in front on them on their computer screen. :rolleyes:

HostTink - Sounds good to me! Although we haven't been there, it would be good to go back and see some more of Costa Rica. I'm just not sure if the Grand can make it that far south with it's tight itinerary.

Thanks everyone for your insights and information!

We are on the same cruise as Lady Jag this December. The Grand is sailing out of Galveston and like she said, Costa Maya is all ready one of our ports. Cozumel has so much damage that this will most likely not be a possibility for several months. After looking at the pictures and the piers, I can't imagine when they will be back in business for cruise ships even with tenders.

Here is a link to pictures of the pier areas:

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=8185

I really doubt we will be going to Costa Rica either. That is so far south and I don't think they could make it with the time constraints. Last year they were even having a difficult time making Belize on many sailings. Have a feeling it will be a day at sea. With only 4 weeks and 3 days until the first sailing of the Grand, November 26, I would also think they are scrambling to figure out what they will be doing with this seasons sailings. So far only the Coral is showing a new itinerary with the link from above with Princess.

Will be interesting to see what Princess will be able to do with all their ships that stop there. Such a sad situation for all these people in Cancun, Cozumel and all the surrounding areas.

Susan

I was checking on our thanksgiving week cruise to see if I could book alternate excursions and the lady said there are NO changes scheduled at this point that we could either be going to cozumel or having an extra sea day or POSSIBLY going to anouther port. No decisions will be made for weeks.So I guess we won't be able to plan ahead:(

It appears all the lines are saying pretty much the same thing: no changes at this time. I really don't think anyone has any idea. It may be early next week before we know what is in the near future for any of these ships. NMNita

Archived