Alaska Denali tour question

Suze17

I am booked for Alaska on the Coral Princess for 8/06 and am wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the Tundra Wilderness Tour and the Natural History tour in Denali. Depending on the cruisetour you pick, you get one or the other. I am also wondering if you can book the tour you don't get-for instance, if I am automatically getting the Natural History tour-can I book the Tundra tour/ I appreciate any replies. Thanks!!-Sue

The shorter one, which I believe is the Natural History Tour, only goes in about 17 miles and really isn't worth the time. You might see some wildlife, but don't get your hopes up. The longer tour would be far more enjoyable. Look at the length of the two tours if that info is available, and choose the tour that offers the longer trip into the park.

Suze going over to the Ports of Call board under Alaska.That very topic is always discussed there. There are a few people who are experts on cruising to Alaska on that forum. Put that question on that board and they will answer you. I am pretty sure that Spongerob is correct about the excursions but just to make sure go to the Alaska board. Like I said that very topic has been discussed many, many times.

Marilyn

The Natural History Tour is about 4 hours. The Tundra Wilderness Tour is 8 hours. Princess cannot substitute one for the other, so you'll need to do one of two things. If you haven't booked your cruise yet, make sure you book the cruise tour that includes the tour of Denali that you want. We weren't fortunate enough to plan that far in advance and we had the Natural History Tour. My roommate and I requested and received a refund from Princess for the Natural History Tour. We then went to this website (http://www.reservedenali.com/) to book the Tundra Wilderness Tour on our own. MAKE SURE you have enough time if you schedule this on your own, so you don't miss transportation with Princess!!

PS - We were also on the Coral Princess. You'll love her!

Unless you are mad keen on seeing the tundra and possibly the wildlife in Alaska but more likely drenching rain or drizzle on a rickety old schoolbus then given our experience i would not bother even going to Denali

The only thing worth the trip was the view of Mount McKinley enroute

In all honesty, the school bus isn't that bad (I was wondering about it) as there are many stops along the way to get out and stretch and take photos. We did go through a bit of rain, but we also saw the sun, rainbows and lots of wildlife, too. If you want to go to "experience" Alaska then the wilderness of Denali is a must :-)

Hint: Go to the Subway across from Denali Wilderness Lodge and take a sub with you on the bus if you do the 8 hour tour. We did and it was worth it!

The Natural History Tour is about 4 hours. The Tundra Wilderness Tour is 8 hours. Princess cannot substitute one for the other, so you'll need to do one of two things. If you haven't booked your cruise yet, make sure you book the cruise tour that includes the tour of Denali that you want. We weren't fortunate enough to plan that far in advance and we had the Natural History Tour. My roommate and I requested and received a refund from Princess for the Natural History Tour. We then went to this website (http://www.reservedenali.com/) to book the Tundra Wilderness Tour on our own. MAKE SURE you have enough time if you schedule this on your own, so you don't miss transportation with Princess!!

I was not able to get a refund in June 2005. This will be covered over on the Alaska Boards, but the shuttle bus is more economical than the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We took a shuttle to Toklat River (the TWT turnaround) fro $18/adult. Our biggest challenge was getting to/from the Princess Lodge to the park. To get to the Denali Wilderness Access Center (where bus tours/shuttles depart), we took a 2 pm bus from the Princess Lodge to catch a 3 pm shuttle tour. When we came back around 10 pm, the Princess shuttles were no longer running. We called the lodge and they picked us up in a van -- but I think that was only because we had a child with us and it was lightening and thundering. Otherwise, I believe we'd have been walking back.

The Natural History tour is a waste of time. So so scenery and little if any wildlife. As mentioned you only get 16 miles into the park, the same as the public road. The Tundra Wilderness tour however goes to mile 53. Be aware that the Park Road into Denali Park is 90 miles. I NEVER recommend that anyone independent purchase the Tundra Wilderness tour, it is three times the cost as the Toklat Shuttle. SAME buses that are far from the above description.

My min. distance is Fish Creek, mile 63, big bear area in that 10 mile distance.

You MAY be able to purchase a shuttle bus transfer, but unlikely to get a refund for the Natural History tour which you have paid $35 for. A lot of cruisetours do not have enough time however. As mentioned this is a frequent topic on the Alaska board. Way too many people purchase these cruisetours without understanding what they are purchasing, many times once they find out, it is too late to change. Last year Princess offered few if any upgrades. Bottom line, get the tour you want in the first place.

If you care to, my photos will show the significant difference of Denali Park touring, the only photo, within that 16 mile area is the two moose. All others were past Fish creek. Farther is better here. :)

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Where do I find the ports of call board? This is all new to me. Thanks:)

It's listed in the Cruise Critic Message Board main menu.

Look at the top of this page on the left it says HOME - then Cruise Critic Message Boards - click on that for an expanded menu which lists all the other message boards here.

Here's the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. I am still torn about what cruise tour to take, which will determine the Denali tour I'm offered. I am booked on 13N-but am considering 4N which uses the new direct rail service but it cuts off Fairbanks. And Marilyn-I posted on the Ports-of-call board as you suggested and got some suggestions, as well. Thanks.-Sue

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. I am still torn about what cruise tour to take, which will determine the Denali tour I'm offered. I am booked on 13N-but am considering 4N which uses the new direct rail service but it cuts off Fairbanks. And Marilyn-I posted on the Ports-of-call board as you suggested and got some suggestions, as well. Thanks.-Sue

Sue, it'll depend on what you what to see. If (when) we head back to Alaska, I would skip Fairbanks and spend more time at Denali if it was an either or. But, I have this thing for mountains and really, really, really wanted to see Denali. The wildlife is great, but if you aren't going to bring binoculars, you will probably not see much more than some colored specks.

Archived