NCL Sky - July 5-8

CardFanDubG

We just got back and had a wonderful time! The Manager that we spoke to has a son with multiple allergies and was very attentive. We pre ordered his dinner every night and it worked out great. We also spoke with the manager at the buffet and he walked us through and we felt comfortable with my son enjoying breakfast at the buffet as well as burgers/pizza at night. He loves bread and were able to bring him his own basket of french baguettes- he loved them. Thanks so much for the great info!

I am glad your cruise went well. After our experience with NCL, I would say that they, at least the Sky, really do understand allergies and try hard to accommodate.

Have asked this of other recent Sky cruisers but they didn't know ...

We are departing on the SKY this coming Monday...

Do you know if Longboard Bar serves food 24 hrs (like O'Sheehans on other ncl ships). Also what's on the menu at Longboard besides wings?

And are evening movies shown anywhere on the ship (besides the cabin tv)?

Thanks

Have asked this of other recent Sky cruisers but they didn't know ...

We are departing on the SKY this coming Monday...

Do you know if Longboard Bar serves food 24 hrs (like O'Sheehans on other ncl ships). Also what's on the menu at Longboard besides wings?

And are evening movies shown anywhere on the ship (besides the cabin tv)?

Thanks

I have seen you ask this question a few times, but no one seems to have an answer. So I will tell you I have cruised this ship a few times and have only seen a small buffet close to this bar. And it only seemed to be a bar.

I seem to remembering asking the bartender this question once and was told they no longer offer food there. You can bring in food from the buffet, use the tables and someone was there to clean up after you.

Longboards has a sliding door that leads to the Great Outdoors to the left. They had lots of great items to snack on (hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, fruit and cheeses). There is also a breakfast and lunch buffet in Italian restaurant next door, as well. There is a bar in Longboards, but it is not open that often. We just got a plate of snacks, a drink at the Great Outdoors and sat in Longboards to eat. If you want a killer Bloody Mary, see Danley at the Great Outdoor Bar.

I have seen you ask this question a few times, but no one seems to have an answer. So I will tell you I have cruised this ship a few times and have only seen a small buffet close to this bar. And it only seemed to be a bar.

I seem to remembering asking the bartender this question once and was told they no longer offer food there. You can bring in food from the buffet, use the tables and someone was there to clean up after you.

Oh no :eek: "they no longer offer food there"! I have to figure out how to break this news to my DH! A number of older reviews mention Longboards is just like O'Sheehans, and they ate chicken wings. I should have researched this more before booking Sky - but thank you sooooo much for the updated info!! I am sure we will still have a great time, cause we'll be on a cruise!! :)

Longboards has a sliding door that leads to the Great Outdoors to the left. They had lots of great items to snack on (hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, fruit and cheeses). There is also a breakfast and lunch buffet in Italian restaurant next door, as well. There is a bar in Longboards, but it is not open that often. We just got a plate of snacks, a drink at the Great Outdoors and sat in Longboards to eat. If you want a killer Bloody Mary, see Danley at the Great Outdoor Bar.

Thanks for this very helpful info!! We are looking forward to outside dining in the "Great Outdoors", glad to know they have "comfort food" (for the DH) on the food bar there. Did you happen to notice if they ever had chicken wings out there or at the regular buffet?

CardFanDubG:

Not trying to hijack this thread. :D

Thoroughly enjoyed your review and pictures!! Especially appreciated the info on the cellphone use, bringing the powerstrip, and turning the tv to the ship's camera channel. :) Do you happen to remember if movies were shown in any public places on the ship?

We have sailed on the Sky 3 times in the last 2 years and will be on her again a week after you. I have never seen wings on the buffet at the main the main buffet. I do not like curried stuff and they had a lot of it. The buffet out in the Great Outdoors had the best comfort food, but I never notice wings there.

Will take note of this. Thanks.

Oh no :eek: "they no longer offer food there"! I have to figure out how to break this news to my DH! A number of older reviews mention Longboards is just like O'Sheehans, and they ate chicken wings. I should have researched this more before booking Sky - but thank you sooooo much for the updated info!! I am sure we will still have a great time, cause we'll be on a cruise!! :)

Thanks for this very helpful info!! We are looking forward to outside dining in the "Great Outdoors", glad to know they have "comfort food" (for the DH) on the food bar there. Did you happen to notice if they ever had chicken wings out there or at the regular buffet?

CardFanDubG:

Thoroughly enjoyed your review and pictures!! Especially appreciated the info on the cellphone use, bringing the powerstrip, and turning the tv to the ship's camera channel. :) Do you happen to remember if movies were shown in any public places on the ship?

Just back from Sky....yes, they showed "Superman vs Batman" in the stardust lounge, at least according to the Freestyle Daily. It was also on ch. 33 on in-room tv.

CardFanDubG:

I am glad the thread is still alive and of benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the review. I booked a cruise for October, my first ever, and it will be the Sky. I've read a lot of reviews on NCL and the few about the Sky on this forum and it's nice to see pictures too.

Any suggestions for a first-time cruiser? I have done a lot of SCUBA diving on some of the best reefs in the Pacific Ocean and find it extremely unlikely that snorkeling or glass-bottom boats would be very interesting (unless mermaids can be seen!). I might end up being happy with just sitting on a beach and sipping some rum.

The island will be closed for remodeling this fall and will reopen January 2017. NCL is adding an improved snorkeling area, zip-line, additional restaurants, a sports center, theater, boardwalk, and a private area for Haven guests.

We are sailing in Nov and had not heard this?? We are scheduled to stop there?

The island will be closed for remodeling this fall and will reopen January 2017. NCL is adding an improved snorkeling area, zip-line, additional restaurants, a sports center, theater, boardwalk, and a private area for Haven guests.

We are sailing in Nov and had not heard this?? We are scheduled to stop there?

From the cruise mapper dot com web site.

In June 2016, NCL announced the company's plans to do an extensive*makeover of its Bahamian private island. The project is part of "The Norwegian Edge" (USD*400 million fleet renovation program) and includes adding new attractions, eateries, private villas, zip-line course, underwater sculpture garden,*new lagoon,*boardwalk (connecting the beach with the new entertainment complex). Great Stirrup Cay's new landscaping works alone will cost over*USD*1 million.

The private island destination will be closed for refurbishment*between*August 25 and*October 20, 2016. The closure*mostly affected the short itineraries of*Norwegian Sky, which instead visited*Nassau*and Grand Bahama.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The private island destination will be closed for refurbishment*between*August 25 and*October 20, 2016. The closure*mostly affected the short itineraries of*Norwegian Sky, which instead visited*Nassau*and Grand Bahama.

So, my cruise booked for the 24th of October may not have the GSC stop? :confused::eek::eek::eek:

hey Cardfan, what a nice review. We also like the fun active excursions. I am looking at the same excursion you booked on Grand Bahama. I also never book through the ship but am having trouble finding better choices. I am actually concerned that excursion is to tame, no grandkids with us this time.

i was not bringing grandkids bc I thought this was more of a heavy drinking party ship, is this not the case?

I am also concerned that the ship is small and old and that my hubby will grouch. We have only done big ships in recent years.

And everyone drinks free on on GSC now, from Sky?

hey Cardfan, what a nice review. We also like the fun active excursions. I am looking at the same excursion you booked on Grand Bahama. I also never book through the ship but am having trouble finding better choices. I am actually concerned that excursion is to tame, no grandkids with us this time.

i was not bringing grandkids bc I thought this was more of a heavy drinking party ship, is this not the case?

I am also concerned that the ship is small and old and that my hubby will grouch. We have only done big ships in recent years.

And everyone drinks free on on GSC now, from Sky?

The family enjoyed the excursion in Nassau much more than the kayaking in Grand Bahamas. The kayaking got a little repetitive after the first Half hour. I called the vendor prior to the cruise to make a reservation. They stated that when NCL ships are in Port they could only do the excursion through NCL.

The total package water sports excursion kept us active the entire time. It was not booked through NCL Sky. I booked it online and was given a discount.

The beverages on GSC were included in the free beverage plan. I liked that you did not have to show your card. As far as being a party boat. There was a good amount of partying but the three grandchildren were not affected. They had a great time.

We are also sailing onboard the Sky on October 24th... Hope we are stopping at GSC as well...

I am figuring that since there are no details provided anywhere that the renovations won't be 100% complete until the start of next year. However, since the cruise itinerary still shows GSC, I am somewhat convinced that a percentage of the base renovations will be complete by our cruise date and that we will have access to a portion of the services/location. Here's to hoping.

I am figuring that since there are no details provided anywhere that the renovations won't be 100% complete until the start of next year. However, since the cruise itinerary still shows GSC, I am somewhat convinced that a percentage of the base renovations will be complete by our cruise date and that we will have access to a portion of the services/location. Here's to hoping.

I hope so too. GSC was great. The changes sound like it will get even better.

Edited by CardFanDubG

• 2 months later...