New to Norwegian with questions...

SportsMomof4

This will be our 1st time on NCL. DH & I are leaving my son & taking a quick 3 day getaway on the Sky.

Is there a formal night?

We are in our late 40's. Would this be a crowd for us? Does there tend to be a younger crowd because of the 3 day weekend?

Thanks for any info you can give!

This will be our 1st time on NCL. DH & I are leaving my son & taking a quick 3 day getaway on the Sky.

Is there a formal night?

We are in our late 40's. Would this be a crowd for us? Does there tend to be a younger crowd because of the 3 day weekend?

We have done 14 ocean cruises with five on NCL in the past six years.

Most of our cruises are two weeks (we are retired). However, we have noticed that shorter cruises tend to have many more young persons. Longer cruises tend to be dominated by seniors.

The three day Sky cruise is a very different animal. My Son and his friend did a cruise on the Sky recently. He said it was very different, even from 7 day cruises that he has done.

He said it was a party cruise with everyone on the ship having the beverage packages. There were a lot of intoxicated people and many of them acting out, cursing and showing their crudeness. He said the mix of people on the ship was not to his liking. It is probably a good thing to leave you son behind for this one.

I have done the sky a few times. Both 3 and 4 days. I also have one booked for the end of Aug. My twin sis lives in south Florida so it is a way to get together once and a while. We are 65 and have never seen the "Drunks" stated on here.

I think it may depended on the time of year these people have cruised. I have seen worse displayed on the Star and Dawn.

We see people of all ages on the Sky. And all seemed relaxed and happy.

I guess the question is, when are you going? Do not go during spring break. That maybe a mistake.

We just sailed the Sky in June on the 4-day cruise and did not encounter anyone who was completely out of control at all. It was a very nice cruise and everyone was well behaved. Perhaps the 3-day will be somewhat different, but if we ever did the 3-day (with the exception of spring break), I'd expect it to be similar to the 4 day in terms of people's behavior.

OP, there were a variety of ages on our 4-day cruise, though the majority of people seemed to be on the under-50 side. In our group, we had age range of 28 to 71 and everyone had a great time.

No formal night, but it is NCL so you are free to dress up or not. There was a Dress Up or Not night, so some people were a little dressier, but I don't recall seeing anyone dressed in tuxes or anything.

Have a great time!

Is there a formal night?

NCL does not have formal nights. They usually have a Norwegians Night Out when the photographers have more setups in the atrium for photos. And sometimes the Captain is available to be in a photo. So some people dress up but it's purely optional and I'm not sure they'd have it on a 3-night cruise.

Edited by NMLady

I have done the sky a few times. Both 3 and 4 days. I also have one booked for the end of Aug. My twin sis lives in south Florida so it is a way to get together once and a while. We are 65 and have never seen the "Drunks" stated on here.

I think it may depended on the time of year these people have cruised. I have seen worse displayed on the Star and Dawn.

We see people of all ages on the Sky. And all seemed relaxed and happy.

I guess the question is, when are you going? Do not go during spring break. That maybe a mistake.

We are going 8/26. Is that the same one you are on? I think it will be a good time. College kids will be back at school :)

NCL does not have formal nights. They usually have a Norwegians Night Out when the photographers have more setups in the atrium for photos. And sometimes the Captain is available to be in a photo. So some people dress up but it's purely optional and I'm not sure they'd have it on a 3-night cruise.

Thank you!

We just sailed the Sky in June on the 4-day cruise and did not encounter anyone who was completely out of control at all. It was a very nice cruise and everyone was well behaved. Perhaps the 3-day will be somewhat different, but if we ever did the 3-day (with the exception of spring break), I'd expect it to be similar to the 4 day in terms of people's behavior.

OP, there were a variety of ages on our 4-day cruise, though the majority of people seemed to be on the under-50 side. In our group, we had age range of 28 to 71 and everyone had a great time.

No formal night, but it is NCL so you are free to dress up or not. There was a Dress Up or Not night, so some people were a little dressier, but I don't recall seeing anyone dressed in tuxes or anything.

Have a great time!

Thank you!

Sky is a wonderful little ship. One of my favorites, if not my favorite! We were last on it a year ago so we missed the conversion to "booze cruise" but if our recent cruise on Dawn was any indication, I think you'll be fine. Practically everyone on the ship had the Ultimate Beverage Package NCL has been offering up for free and our week among 2,000 Bostonians at various levels of intoxication was incident-free. If anything, I saw more folks around your age making slight spectacles of themselves than the college-aged crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by b00br

We are going 8/26. Is that the same one you are on? I think it will be a good time. College kids will be back at school :)

We are going on the 4 day following yours. We may pass in the parking lot. But really you should go and not worry about what others are doing and you will have a great time.

We are going on the 4 day following yours. We may pass in the parking lot. But really you should go and not worry about what others are doing and you will have a great time.

This is an excellent point. Keep the focus on what you, not others, want to do. Even relatively small ships like Sky are plenty big enough for people to stick to areas that work best for them. I would expect whatever, if any "party" crowd you encounter to be concentrated in the bars, buffet, pool deck and (not to insult anyone) areas where smoking is permitted. OP should find ample locations for quiet dining, activities and other enjoyment.

Edited by b00br