Any drawbacks?

Kris10C817

I've read through several threads on this topic but want to make sure I'm not missing anything. We have our first cruise booked (Magic 6/2017). I got an email today from a big box store that we're a member of, for travel stuff. I decided to check out their site. If I transfer our booking to them, we save $300.

We've only paid our deposit at this point. I know by transferring to them, we can no longer contact Carnival directly. I don't see this as an issue though I know others might. It sounds like I'll still have access to our booking on the carnival site for booking excursions, FTTF, ordering from Fun Shops, etc.

Is there something I'm not thinking about? I'm finding it hard to not save $300 with a cheaper rate for the exact same cabin. Advice and past experiences appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always go through a TA that gets me a better deal than the cruise line and have never had any drawbacks from it. I always know the ship, dates, and rooms I want before I call and just let them book it and make any adjustments I may need (like price reduction or upgrades). I do send the TA e-mails when I see a price drop but I have had no issues with them taking care of it right away.

Did you book with the Early Saver Rate? If yes, just be sure that nothing changes as far as your access to more price changes as your date draws close.

More...Does this Travel Agent charge a cancellation fee if you have to do so?

Does this Travel Agent charge a fee for changes to your booking?

Note that Carnival may have charges that the Travel Agent would pass along for changes. I am asking about fees that may originate with the Travel Agent.

Some CC folks have had a nasty surprise when making a change without asking perinent questions.

Have a great trip!

I've read through several threads on this topic but want to make sure I'm not missing anything. We have our first cruise booked (Magic 6/2017). I got an email today from a big box store that we're a member of, for travel stuff. I decided to check out their site. If I transfer our booking to them, we save $300.

We've only paid our deposit at this point. I know by transferring to them, we can no longer contact Carnival directly. I don't see this as an issue though I know others might. It sounds like I'll still have access to our booking on the carnival site for booking excursions, FTTF, ordering from Fun Shops, etc.

Is there something I'm not thinking about? I'm finding it hard to not save $300 with a cheaper rate for the exact same cabin. Advice and past experiences appreciated.

Supposedly Carnival does not allow travel agents to sell cabins for less than Carnival sells them for. Check and see if you might be seeing a price for a different fare type. For example you may have booked a lesser restricted fare such as Fun Select and may now be looking at an Early Saver rate which is more restrictive. I would never turn my booking over to a TA. Some TAs will not handle future price drops for you because it is more work for them and reduces their commission.

Supposedly Carnival does not allow travel agents to sell cabins for less than Carnival sells them for. Check and see if you might be seeing a price for a different fare type. For example you may have booked a lesser restricted fare such as Fun Select and may now be looking at an Early Saver rate which is more restrictive. I would never turn my booking over to a TA. Some TAs will not handle future price drops for you because it is more work for them and reduces their commission.

Could be part of a (speculative) group pricing.

A couple of times we've transferred our Princess bookings over to the big C big box store. At the time of transfer we had all our 'ducks in a row'.

If you're with a TA, almost all correspondence will go thru them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the input everyone! I booked an early saver rate through carnival. She did say they would process price drops and any changes. I did forget to ask if there are charges for the changes or additional cancellation fees. I'll definitely be finding that out before I switch.