Complaint about Princess

martzel2

You are apparently NOT the Consummate Host and we certainly have not come back new and are reviewing our future loyalty to Princess Cruises.

You could have come back new if you had converted to the Mormon Church...;) Then you could have used those venues the Mormons were using... Two birds with one stone really, just sayin':)

You could have come back new if you had converted to the Mormon Church...;) Then you could have used those venues the Mormons were using... Two birds with one stone really, just sayin':)

Our recent experience on the Caribbean Princess TA was similar. Lots of noise and other meetings on the sky deck. One group tried to commander the entire sky deck without contacting a Princess rep. Princess should police this area better than it currently does.

Our recent experience on the Caribbean Princess TA was similar. Lots of noise and other meetings on the sky deck. One group tried to commander the entire sky deck without contacting a Princess rep. Princess should police this area better than it currently does.

Probably those pesky Cruise Critic Roll Call rowdies.

I have taken many cruises on several different lines and several times, docking or tendering was changed at the last minute by the harbormaster. It's the harbormaster who decides where, when and how ships dock.

Once, I was waiting to disembark as the ship pulled up to the dock. And waited. And waited. Big scramble as the crew had to change the side for the gangway due to a literal last-minute change by the harbormaster. Another time, we were tendering into Penzance (I think it was Penzance) when we were taken to a small pier that wasn't near our original tendering site. Turns out the British Royal Navy was using that dock that day. Huge, long lines and hours of delay getting back to the ship due to only one tender able to dock, unload and re-load at a time. Not Princess' fault. I've even been in ports when we docked to disembark passengers but tendered back to the ship.

My point is that changes happen and can happen very last minute. Doesn't matter what cruise line you're on. It happens. Princess might not have known of the change until the ship arrived. Ship tours are more expensive but then you are paying for the guarantee that the tour operator will get you back to the right pier.

Edited by Pam in CA

I have taken many cruises on several different lines and several times, docking or tendering was changed at the last minute by the harbormaster. It's the harbormaster who decides where, when and how ships dock.

Once, I was waiting to disembark as the ship pulled up to the dock. And waited. And waited. Big scramble as the crew had to change the side for the gangway due to a literal last-minute change by the harbormaster. Another time, we were tendering into Penzance (I think it was Penzance) when we were taken to a small pier that wasn't near our original tendering site. Turns out the British Royal Navy was using that dock that day. Huge, long lines and hours of delay getting back to the ship due to only one tender able to dock, unload and re-load at a time. Not Princess' fault. I've even been in ports when we docked to disembark passengers but tendered back to the ship.

My point is that changes happen and can happen very last minute. Doesn't matter what cruise line you're on. It happens. Princess might not have known of the change until the ship arrived. Ship tours are more expensive but then you are paying for the guarantee that the tour operator will get you back to the right pier.

Near as I can tell she was told the right pier when she got off the ship but figured it was the same pier she had on her Patter even though she was given a different name. Can't hardly blame princess for HER Assuming THE DIFFERENT NAMES WERE THE SAME....... She could have gotten back to the right pier if she had used the right name........ BTW Cork is about 20KM inland and not a pier at all (unless you are on a pretty small ship So I'm not sure she even knew where she was going. Some folks SHOULD stick to Ships Tours.....

Near as I can tell she was told the right pier when she got off the ship but figured it was the same pier she had on her Patter even though she was given a different name. Can't hardly blame princess for HER Assuming THE DIFFERENT NAMES WERE THE SAME....... She could have gotten back to the right pier if she had used the right name........ BTW Cork is about 20KM inland and not a pier at all (unless you are on a pretty small ship So I'm not sure she even knew where she was going. Some folks SHOULD stick to Ships Tours.....

A quick search shows that both names, Ringaskiddy and Deep Water Berth, are one and the same. The OP assumed that they would be docking at the Cobh Cruise Terminal, but when more than 1 ship is in port the larger of the 2 will dock at Cobh Cruise Terminal and the other will be at Deep Water. The Port of Cork has a cruise schedule which shows where a ship will be and it seems in all their research they failed to see there was more than one place the ship could be.

A couple of years ago we did a TA cruise and Cork (Cobh) was a port. Before leaving I learned here on Cruise Critic that there is a site listing where ships dock, what ships dock and on what date they dock be it Cobh or that Ringsadiddy.

I looked up my ship and learned it docked at Ringsadiddy and informed my cruise agent who didn't know this either.

Of course, that doesn't excuse Caribbean Princess for their lack of information to passengers. (This is the only Princess ship I will never travel on again for other reasons tho).

I learned years ago to travel in early spring or late fall when children are back in school. We also only take long cruises which means you don't get the large groups or children on board. Only way I keep my sanity.

So my heart goes out to you for what you experienced and I hope it never happens again

I am not a big fan of when ships allocate group space to Skywalker's. Often times these groups are not nearly big enough to warrant that space, and most times the group space is not needed for outdoor viewing. An interior space such as Club Fusion would make much more sense leaving Skywalker's to the folks who want to relax and enjoy the great view. Many cruise lines build ships with bars, lounges, and public spaces up top with great viewing areas. Princess has most of its public spaces in the lower decks, making Skywalker's a unique space for up top viewing. I would much prefer that they leave that space to the general public and not allocate it to groups unless absolutely necessary. Not to mention the irony of a Mormon group having a gathering in a bar.

A quick search shows that both names, Ringaskiddy and Deep Water Berth, are one and the same. The OP assumed that they would be docking at the Cobh Cruise Terminal, but when more than 1 ship is in port the larger of the 2 will dock at Cobh Cruise Terminal and the other will be at Deep Water. The Port of Cork has a cruise schedule which shows where a ship will be and it seems in all their research they failed to see there was more than one place the ship could be.

And thats why you don't depend on the internet (exclusivley) especially quick searches, Ringaskiddy does have a deep water port and its called DEEP WATER TERMINAL, The vast majority of cruise ships however, berth at Cobh's DEEPWATER QUAY. (see the problem there?)

These are only 2 of the five Possibilities in Port of Cork not to mentiuon when you get to the actual berths themselves some of which are well seperated

And thats why you don't depend on the internet (exclusivley) especially quick searches, Ringaskiddy does have a deep water port and its called DEEP WATER TERMINAL, The vast majority of cruise ships however, berth at Cobh's DEEPWATER QUAY. (see the problem there?)

These are only 2 of the five Possibilities in Port of Cork not to mentiuon when you get to the actual berths themselves some of which are well seperated

My search led me directly to the Port of Cork website. I don't blindly follow 3rd party websites. The port website shows 3 cruise ship berths: Cobh Cruise Terminal, Ringaskiddy DWB (stands for Deep Water Berth), and Cork. There is also a cruise schedule that shows the ships and where they berth. The point I was making is that the ship berthed where it said the day before in the patter, and that one should include all berthing possibilities in their research.

Edited by Jase0581

My search led me directly to the Port of Cork website. I don't blindly follow 3rd party websites. The port website shows 3 cruise ship berths: Cobh Cruise Terminal, Ringaskiddy DWB (stands for Deep Water Berth), and Cork. There is also a cruise schedule that shows the ships and where they berth. The point I was making is that the ship berthed where it said the day before in the patter, and that one should include all berthing possibilities in their research.

Exactly. and the knowledge that two of the possibilities have VERY similar names. It wasn't your research that was "bad" Sorry if I came off that way. One port different spots to go.

On one afternoon when the Mormons were at maximum volume we went in search of a quiet area. This is what we found: Wheelhouse Bar was closed for another Private Function (about 15 people), the Explorers lounge had an Art Auction, the Piazza had a loud children’s function (could be heard on decks, 5, 6 and 7). All other public areas had published activities taking place. The Library is much too small and of course Horizon’s Court (as suggested to us by Passengers Services) is always noisy, crowded and uncomfortable, certainly not a place of quiet relaxation.

I think the most quiet place on the ship is my cabin and balcony. No one can bother or annoy you. However, I don't think it's right that a certain group takes up a space that's available to everyone,and it's wrong for that group to ask you to leave. I would have stayed there just to annoy with a bottle of wine.:rolleyes:

Edited by elliair

I think the most quiet place on the ship is my cabin and balcony. No one can bother or annoy you. However, I don't think it's right that a certain group takes up a space that's available to everyone,and it's wrong for that group to ask you to leave. I would have stayed there just to annoy with a bottle of wine.:rolleyes:

Exactly my thoughts.

I wasn't able to finish it. The print was so small and as you said like one paragraph with no spaces. I am glad someone else had a problem with it.

You can increase the size of the print on your own computer. If you have an Apple product, just hold the "command" key down and the + key. Continue until the text is the size you can read. Not sure about non-Apple products but I'm pretty sure there is a similar option.

...Ship tours are more expensive but then you are paying for the guarantee that the tour operator will get you back to the right pier.

Very good point, and why I always do the ship's shore excursions if I am in an unfamiliar port, or one where I know there can be difficulty (heavy traffic, for example) in getting back to the ship on time. The extra cost is worth it to me for the peace of mind!

...As to when the switch was made by the port master is up for question. It may not have been enough time to notify the pax...

An overhead announcement before passengers were allowed off the ship should have been easy enough, with a verbal reminder by staff at the gangway for those who missed it. It really sounds as though Princess dropped the ball on this :(.

An overhead announcement before passengers were allowed off the ship should have been easy enough, with a verbal reminder by staff at the gangway for those who missed it. It really sounds as though Princess dropped the ball on this :(.
We don't know whether an announcement was made or whether there was notification at the gangway. I can't tell you how many times there's an announcement and people continue talking or ignore it. There's always a notice of the time to return and other information at the gangway but people walk right by and ignore it. People hear what they want to hear.

We don't know whether an announcement was made or whether there was notification at the gangway. I can't tell you how many times there's an announcement and people continue talking or ignore it. There's always a notice of the time to return and other information at the gangway but people walk right by and ignore it. People hear what they want to hear.

Good point. I assumed that the OP had checked into whether or not this was done before posting, but I should know by now never to assume :).

People often post about things going wrong, usually to blame the cruise line, hardly ever to discuss their own contribution to the problem.

I don't know about others, but when I travel I always double check on where the ship is at, where I am at, etc. I have a travel phone where I download maps for the areas being visited so I can double check my location.

More often then one would expect I have had to correct taxi drivers who have made assumptions about ship docking locations when I have noticed them going the wrong way.

Bottom line know where you are and where you are going. Do not assume, double check.

As far as Sky Walkers is concerned. Not unusual to have it reserved by groups on board. Had a group booked by a travel agent (about 200 people) have it reserved all day while the ship was in Glacier Bay on time. If there is a group on board you can assume that they will probably have it reserved for at least part of the trip. While it is a nice place to sit and read during the day, to the cruise line it is an underused space that can be used for groups. While its use for groups can be rather annoying, especially on a day like Glacier Bay, it is a fact of cruising (other lines do the same).

Edited by RDC1

Very good point, and why I always do the ship's shore excursions if I am in an unfamiliar port, or one where I know there can be difficulty (heavy traffic, for example) in getting back to the ship on time. The extra cost is worth it to me for the peace of mind!

What I do too!