Gdansk, Poland

I am so lucky that our ship stopped there, not many do. When I saw the port in Gdingen, I realized it is a tight squeeze for large ships, but our 2500 passenger Mein Schiff 4 managed.

It was a challenge to find a tour company for this port since I wanted a local company. Luckily, somebody here on cruise critic mentioned easygdansktours favorably. We had a fabulous time with their guide and driver. Sopot was a charming surprise as was the organ concert. We walked through lovingly restored Gdansk and saw the monument for the shipyard where the workers' strikes ended communism in Poland. We also had a great authentic lunch!

If your ship stops here, you are lucky!

We also had a port stop in Gdynia for Gdansk. I had difficulty in finding a local tour and public transport was not a viable option due to time constraints.

We bit the bullet and booked the ship's tour. OH was very interested in WWII history and Gdansk itself is lovely. It was also the cheapest stop on our Baltic cruise.

I hope mentioning easygdansktours helps others who want a well organized small group tour. We saw the many large groups from our ship in town but not in lovely Sopot and not at the church concert.

We don't usually book non-ship tours beforehand. My husband was afraid nobody would show up, but everything worked out perfectly. The private van was parked closer than the tour busses and the guide had a sign with my name. Our lunch for 4 was in a regular restaurant with a good reputation and much, much tastier than the one in Lithuania where we went in a large ship's tour bus.

We came back long before the ship left and we paid at the end. We had asked to pay in Euros but they would also have accepted US $ which eliminates the need to change zloty for just that one cruise stop.