OBC Question

LadyL

Just a question on OBC. Something happened during last cruise that I've often wondered about since. Please, no flaming as this is strictly curiosity getting the best of me. Thought I'd ask those that would know :)

During our last cruise, DS had an OBC of $500 for he and his GF. At the last minute, GF couldn't make it due to family emergency. Since she was a no-show, we thought the $500 would be given to him. He gets to his room and his account is showing $250 OBC. He goes to GS and they inform he needs to "contact Corporate," which he does at the first port. They informed that since GF was a no-show, that reduced his OBC to half. None of this made any sense to me but, as we both said, you can't lose what you never had.

Fast forward to two months ago...I book another cruise for two rooms, DH and I in one and DS in the other. He gets a $50 OBC. Great for him. Customer Service didn't know why it was under his name, just came up that way. Hmm....

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Why do you think he should get $250 credit that was for girlfriend when she didn't go?

Some sales have $50 OBC but if you booked same time you should get it also.

I assumed it was per stateroom, not per person. And, no there was no OBC or sale when we booked our upcoming cruise. But, it's all water under the bridge anyway...just curious.

Thanks for answering.

I also find this to be the wrong way for Carnival to handle this.

Since his GF was a no show, she did not get back her cruise cost... ie, it was still paid for, he should have been given the entire OBC,

As the previous poster said, that is not how Carnival does it, but in my mind it is just wrong. The cabin is paid for, for 2 people, with no refund other than her port fees... the OBC should stay the same for the cabin, but it does not.

The only OBC that I know of that does not get split automatically between everyone in the cabin is the Stock Holder Credit. It always gets applied to my account, since the stocks are in my name. It never matters for us, since my wife and I use the same payment for our bills.. but it is always only on mine.

Why do you think he should get $250 credit that was for girlfriend when she didn't go?

Some sales have $50 OBC but if you booked same time you should get it also.

I guess it would depend how the OBC was achieved. If it was the result of price drops he should get the credit. If it were based on stock ownership or a promotion, then it would a certain amt pp.

The OP didn't say how the OBC was received.

Sorry, should've stated what the OBC was. It was all in price drops. That was the only cruise we've been on where the price dropped so, needless to say, he was really excited. It didn't put a damper on anything, we still had a wonderful time.

Sorry, should've stated what the OBC was. It was all in price drops. That was the only cruise we've been on where the price dropped so, needless to say, he was really excited. It didn't put a damper on anything, we still had a wonderful time.

So, he received a $250 OBC for his price drop and she received $250 for hers. Since berths are priced individually, the OBC is applied the same way. I am assuming that they paid individually. If not, I would call Carnival and see if I could make the case for receiving all of it, although it is probably too late now.

As far as the $50 OBC for this sailing, he probably had some sort of Past Guest offer available. I would check into why YOU didn't receive it as well. That's 5 frozen drinks ;)

Edited by Schoifmom

• 4 months later...
Just a question on OBC. Something happened during last cruise that I've often wondered about since. Please, no flaming as this is strictly curiosity getting the best of me. Thought I'd ask those that would know :)

During our last cruise, DS had an OBC of $500 for he and his GF. At the last minute, GF couldn't make it due to family emergency. Since she was a no-show, we thought the $500 would be given to him. He gets to his room and his account is showing $250 OBC. He goes to GS and they inform he needs to "contact Corporate," which he does at the first port. They informed that since GF was a no-show, that reduced his OBC to half. None of this made any sense to me but, as we both said, you can't lose what you never had.

Fast forward to two months ago...I book another cruise for two rooms, DH and I in one and DS in the other. He gets a $50 OBC. Great for him. Customer Service didn't know why it was under his name, just came up that way. Hmm....

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Since the onboard credit was based on price drops, Carnival handled it appropriately. If the passenger the price drop was applied to doesn't sail, then no onboard credit is due. Price drops are applied to passengers and not to cabins.