Looking for happy medium - Relaxing Beach, Good Snorkel, Good for kids

fingolfin269

First time cruiser here and I'm trying my best to figure out what to do in Cozumel. We're going with another couple who does have a young child. (So 4 adults and 1 child in total)

What's your favorite Cozumel spot that basically checks all of these boxes?

- Relaxing beach / Pool area

- Food & Drinks available

- Great Snorkeling

- OK for kids

I've been looking at Money Bar and if just us it would be fine since I just want to be able to enjoy some beers and good snorkeling. It's hard to say for sure but just looking at TA photos it doesn't look as good for kids as something like Paradise Beach. But Paradise Beach doesn't look like it's that great for snorkeling.

Is the happy medium that we just spend some time at both? Or is there a place that is best of both worlds?

(We will be arriving at a Carnival port.)

You will not get good snorkeling AND a sandy beach unless you take a boat out to snorkel which I think most of the beach resorts will offer.

You don't say how old the child is, or what requirements they will have, but some places that would be a compromise and perhaps worth looking at, Chankanaab (entrance fee), Playa Uvas, day pass to Hotel Cozumel or Park Royal, or up north to Playa Azul.

Otherwise a two-center stop would work, although I wouldn't take a young child to the Money Bar.

Chankanaab offers a small pool, nice beach and separate snorkel area plus dolphin shows, etc. that will entertain most kids. Admission fee is about $20 per adult, but the cheaper cab fare (about $11 each way compared to $17 to Paradise or Mr. Sanchos) will take some of the sting away.

You can look at Chankanaab, but there's an entrance fee of $20PP (maybe less for kids). Lots to do there to keep a youngster entertained.

I would agree that PB, Mr. Sanchos, Playa Mia, Playa San Francisco would fit the kid but snorkeling isn't goo as they have no iron shore, like Money Bar or Chank. And MB or Corona Beach next door have nothing for kids. Playa Azul north of downtown is also an option. There's some reasonable snorkeling at either rend of the beach. Not sure what they have for kids but it is popular with locals.

Appreciate the responses. The child is I think 6 or 7 years old so definitely on the young side and will require some level of supervision.

It seems like maybe splitting off and doing our own thing for at least part of this day will be the best compromise. We might just go to the Money Bar for a couple of hours and then rejoin them at Paradise later. I do need to spend a bit more time researching how good the snorkeling is at Chankanaab as that could be a good happy medium if it works out. Thanks again.

Appreciate the responses. The child is I think 6 or 7 years old so definitely on the young side and will require some level of supervision.

It seems like maybe splitting off and doing our own thing for at least part of this day will be the best compromise. We might just go to the Money Bar for a couple of hours and then rejoin them at Paradise later. I do need to spend a bit more time researching how good the snorkeling is at Chankanaab as that could be a good happy medium if it works out. Thanks again.

For that age child I definately think Chankanaab seems like a good option. They would be too small to enjoy the water toys out in the ocean. Playa Mia may be an option, or one of the hotel resorts with a good pool.

If the child is content with just some sand and a pool, Playa Azul or Buccanos next door may suit your snorkeling need.

We enjoyMoney Bar but not with children.

Edited by c-leg5

At Chank, the snorkeling on the north (right side facing the water) would be similar to Money Bar/Corona, etc. as it's the southern end of the reef/iron shore there.

But unless your friends have objections, your idea of splitting the party and doing Money Bar then joining them is an idea to explore. And for children of that age, Playa Mia might be better than Paradise Beach or Mr Sanchos, as they do tend to attract families with older children who can be intimidating to younger ones. So give that place a good scan on the net too.