AO for non english speaking kids?

Paposa

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone have had any experience with non english speaking kids at AO?

I'm planing a cruise (our first ever) on Oasis class, and think that the AO sounds great. But the problem is my kids (7 yo and 11yo) doesn't speak english, only danish. The 11yo have had some english at school, so he might understand a little only. The 7 yo not so much.

So do you think that they won't be able to attend AO at all? Or have you had any experience with non english speaking kids at AO?

Hi! We are from Sweden and have the same issue. The kids do get a hang of how it works after a while and spend a few hours there. Ours are 8 and 11 now.

On some ships they will give you a pager or a phone if you are worried. Then they can call you if they need to.

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

It's odd, but language doesn't seem to matter to kids as much as it does adults! They seem to understand what's going on even with a language barrier!

Amazing isn't it....and American adults get bothered even more, when they are in places where they struggle with the language spoken that they don't understand.

It's odd, but language doesn't seem to matter to kids as much as it does adults! They seem to understand what's going on even with a language barrier!

Very true! DS is English and last year I found him with his friends from AO quite happily chatting away with some Italian boys. Now the only Italian my son knows is Gelato so I assumed his friends spoke English but no. It just didn't seem to matter!

Edited by jayne3031

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone have had any experience with non english speaking kids at AO?

I'm planing a cruise (our first ever) on Oasis class, and think that the AO sounds great. But the problem is my kids (7 yo and 11yo) doesn't speak english, only danish. The 11yo have had some english at school, so he might understand a little only. The 7 yo not so much.

So do you think that they won't be able to attend AO at all? Or have you had any experience with non english speaking kids at AO?

Kids are very resilient my kids have made friends with all sorts of other nationalities who they can't speak to :)

On our recent Dubai cruise AO had children from all around the world. It didn't matter to any of them, they had fun.

Our son paired up with an Italian boy who couldn't speak English and our lad can't speak Italian. It just worked [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There will be enough for the 11 year old to do on an Oasis Class without going near AO, but for the 7 year old, AO is a good option if they want to go. Kids can make friends in all types of ways that adults can't understand.

Honestly, I really dislike AO anyways. I don't know about it on Oasis, Allure or Harmony, but I didn't like the staff on Independence and they didn't give choice over activities for the kids.

Hi there,

Kids (and love) have no language barriers.

They will get around it and make friends and enjoy.

Edited by Arzeena