HAL Eurodam 9/2017 - port or starboard?

Herfnerd

Getting ready to book a balcony cabin with HAL on the Eurodam sailing out of Seattle in September of 2017. First time on HAL and first time sailing to Alaska.

Any idea which side of the ship would give us what views in Glacier Bay?

The topside!

It doesn't matter. The ship goes in, turns around, and comes back. So what you missed going in, you see coming out.

Plus the scenery in Alaska is "big picture ", not small stuff that you need to be in one magic spot, to see. Lastly, you aren't going to stay in one spot from the 4 to 6 hours you are in Glacier Bay.

Any idea which side of the ship would give us what views in Glacier Bay?

That would be the OUTside, either on the bow or promenade or upper decks.

Going in and out there are incredible views in every direction. The captain will spin the ship at the glaciers. You'll want to be outside not sitting in the room.

If for some reason you are stuck in the room, the side really doesn't matter IMHO. We were on the port side northbound but on deck 10 the Noordam so mere steps away from both the Crows Nest and the outside decks above Lido, making it easy to see what the starboard side views looked like. No appreciable difference IMHO.

Edited by gpb11

Thanks!

My wife said that while we will spend time in the public areas, she would like to be able to have some private time on our balcony and just wondered which side would be better

Guessing that starboard would be good when coming into port and when sailing outside of Victoria Island?

she would like to be able to have some private time on our balcony and just wondered which side would be better

Heh, just remember they have lots of video cameras on the ship and those balconies may not be quite as private as they seem!

As for "which side":

Except on sea days where any land is a blip on the horizon, you'll have pretty scenery 360 degrees around you. If I were booking another trip tomorrow I might book the opposite side from last time just for variety, but more likely I'd book whichever cabin had the quickest/easiest access to an open deck.

We sailed out of Vancouver and our port side balcony was nice for viewing Stanley Park as we went by. I can't speak to Seattle though.

Ports... Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, all were channels so great viewing each side as we came in and great viewing as we left going the other direction. We were port side to the dock in Juneau, Skagway, and Seward. Toss of the coin there as I understand things, you may dock either way.

As we departed from Juneau and Ketchikan we were sitting in an aft deck hot tub so side of the ship mattered little. :D

As everyone else has said - outside. I really enjoyed the big picture that you only get from the top side. I would not have wanted to limit myself to the small space provided on a balcony.

Also I'm spending that balcony price difference on excursions.:)

If the weather is not good then HAL's signature Crows Nest Lounge is a great spot for viewing both sides and forward.

For Vancouver Is. by the time you exit the Strait of Juan de Fuka it will be getting dark and the ship will be doing a speed run well off-shore. Nothing visible. Once in the Inside Passage some say Starboard for one-ways north to see taller mountains to the east but they are often obscured by clouds. On a R/T both sides see both ways.

We booked our first ever inside cabin for next year on the theory it will get us on-deck more - plus much darker in the midnight sun.

We booked our first ever inside cabin for next year on the theory it will get us on-deck more - plus much darker in the midnight sun.

Which reminds me... we were very happy we'd packed a handful of wooden clothes pins. They really helped close up the gaps in the curtains in our cabin and the subsequent hotel rooms during the land tour.

Which reminds me... we were very happy we'd packed a handful of wooden clothes pins. They really helped close up the gaps in the curtains in our cabin and the subsequent hotel rooms during the land tour.

Of course the OP is going in September. ..far from any midnight sun.

Of course the OP is going in September. ..far from any midnight sun.

Yes, true for the OP. Though still handy if they stay up late and don't wish to be bothered by a 6:30am sunrise.

I was replying though to Sequim88 who expressed a concern about the "midnight sun" and I tossed out a suggestion that I thought might be helpful to any others concerned about such matters.